• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Leaking Voltage at Battery Earth

Old Jock said:
John did Supaflee not say the stator resistance was 0.62 Ohms and the rotor 3.5?

Certainly it would be good to confirm it has been done correctly though

John

OJ,

You are correct, I read the post incorrectly. Main thing is not to read through the brushes, but directly on the slip ring. Also he may need to clean the slip rings for the brushes to make good contact.

And who am I to disagree with you John, being only a "gifted amateur" myself ;)

Confirmation on the method of measurement would certainly help

To show how smart I am and to alert Supaflee, I made some edits to my post on page 6 with the wiring and open circuit generator tests. Please revisit it Supaflee before doing the checks

John

JZ and OJ .
With all the wiring off the generator , I record continuity between any two of the three stator's winding spade connectors .
Also I record .7ohms resistance between any two of the three spade connectors at the generator stator windings.
I've checked it with two meters and they each tell me the same , .7ohms RESISTANCE .
When the three yellow wires are (plug in some cases I understand) connected to the spades (lugs) at the stator , the recorded resistance at the rectifier plug end of the three yellow wires is nearly the same , .9ohms , ,1.1ohms and .8ohms.
Is this so far ok or not ?
Now OJ , All of your questions are answered YES up to Battery Voltage .
Then ,Battery Voltage +12.96
Ign off , Kill on =yes
Does charge light go on +yes
What voltage at DF at generator =11.82
What is battery voltage at this time =12.78
Did light go off when wire lifted from DF at generator=yes
Did it come back on again when DF reconnected at generator = Yes
Disconnect stator 1-2-3,run engine at 1500rpm.AC Voltage between any two lugs is 1.1volts , increase revs to 2000 voltage is 1.5 to 1.6 volts AC.
Puzzling eh ?
Regards Supaflee.

Hi Supaflee

From what I can see its now down to rectifier, regulator, or generator rotor.

The 0.7 Ohms on the stator windings appear to be good and the wiring is good.

The next check is John Z's suggested resistance check on the rotor. Lift the DF brush off the rotor and make sure the copper slip rings are clean. Measure the resistance across the 2 rings.

You stated in an earlier post 3.5 Ohms, if it was done the way John suggests I would think that it's Ok.

If the resistance is Ok then I would think supplying the full field to the generator would be the move after that.

So if you can redo the rotor resistance check as per John Z's post and give us a value we can go from there.

That's all I got for now

John

OJ , I've just been and lifted the outer brush off it's slip-ring and measured the resistance across the two copper slip rings.
The resistance is 3.5 ohms.
Regards Supaflee

OJ , I just ran the engine .
The bloody thing is charging .The battery voltage went up from 12.5 to 13.4 measured at the base of the terminals .
The generator light stays ON .
Somewhere I've inadvertantly made it so it goes and charges .
But whats with the idiot light staying on??
Supaflee

Supaflee said:
OJ , I just ran the engine .
The bloody thing is charging .The battery voltage went up from 12.5 to 13.4 measured at the base of the terminals .
The generator light stays ON .
Somewhere I've inadvertantly made it so it goes and charges .
But whats with the idiot light staying on??
Supaflee

Look at the Schematic. With the system charging, you should be getting DC voltage through 3 diodes in the diode board to the DF connection. For some reason, you aren't getting this voltage which is why the bulb doesn't have 12 volts on each side thus going out. Short answer, replace the diode board.

It started charging??? :shock:

I see John Z posted up what looks to be the definitive answer, the signal diodes on the rectifier board.

You can test them by whipping the rectifier off the bike. With a 12V battery and a small 12V bulb, an instrument bulb would do. +12 - diode - bulb - -12, they should light the bulb in one direction but not the other.

John

Yep it's charging , a bit , but nowhere near what its meant to . JZ is 11.82 Volts at DF not enough ?
I'll wait for your answer before I rip into the diode board I think.
Thanks Guys Supaflee.

JZ and OJ , you like me are going to be , "excited" , ( being the operative word here ) , with my news.
Just a few hours ago I figured that I'd ride the bike into a local electrics wizz here in Tauranga to change the diode board , as JZ suggested . I was getting pretty pissed with the bike and didnt want to bust anything . Seeing I was having trouble convincing myself that I loved my Guzzi , in fact.
So , warmed her up briefly and rode away . 3ks down the road ,and the generator light went out . I stopped , switched everything off, then started the engine again , generator light on . Gave her a rev to 2000 , generator light went off. So I rode away , happy as a pig in poo.
The Electrician Dude who was 10 ks away was already expecting me . He tested the charging of the battery and claened the sliprings some more . It takes the voltage up to 14volts now at 2000revs. Light goes out at 14/1500revs.
His answer to all of this , now that it's good is this :
The prior owner assembled the wiring wrongly.
Engine would run but not charge . Because he only rode the bike twice each year, and for 40 kms at a time , he needed to charge the battery to full before he could start it and go anywhere anyway . There is a real good chance he didnt know it was never charging .
The sliprings were black with muck when I cleaned them up just recently ,,,,,,,,,,, BUT WHAT I DIDNT DO WAS CLEAN THE CONTACT FACES OF THE BRUSHES . The grubby brushes re-introduced crap onto the sliprings .
The brushes didnt make "sufficient" contact with the sliprings to provide "EXCITATION" until several K's of riding.
Thanks JZ and OJ and all you other people for all your endless help and determination with my problem. It is now solved .
JZ , Im not going to bother trying to calculate how many hours of torment this has taken.Thank god I wasnt paying anyone to do it . However Im endebted to you and OJ. Thanks . I'll " button her up " tomorrow.
Supaflee

Well you got a result Supaflee and fixed some stuff along the way.

Was a bit of a marathon, but that's part of the joys of remote trouble shooting

You'll grow to love it all the more now its running properly and you learned some stuff to

John

Back