• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Leaky sump gasket 1984 V65

Julian Sudano

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hi All,

When I got my bike about 18 months ago, I drained the oil in preparation of a change, but it was so black that I dropped the sump for an inspection. There was a bit of gunk in the bottom but for a 37 year old bike, which I suspect had never seen the sump removed it was not too bad at all. In the 150 odd miles I put on it before removing the sump, it never leaked in that area.

Since then I've gone through two of those OEM paper gaskets as it now leaks. Last replacement I even tried Permatex High Tack Red sealant, but to no avail. The oil seems to migrate past the gasket and is most evident on the bolt holes on the sides of the crankcase, where they go right through the crankcase flange.

I'm thinking of using a slightly thicker gasket material, but am wondering if this will cause any issues with the clearances, specifically the oil filter or the oil pick up galleries, as I would be moving the sump a smidge further away from the crankcase?

Any words of wisdom on this issue or other solutions?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Guzzi sump bolt oil weepage.jpg
    Guzzi sump bolt oil weepage.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
I must say for an old bike that oil on the sump bolt isn't much, but knowing how "anal" us Guzzi owners are you could try Hylomar blue (a non setting gasket and jointing compound) on the threads and that will stop it "wicking" , You could even try it on the sump gasket

Seepage is not leakage. Does it drip? Use the aftermarket thicker gasket it hurts nothing. & new oring on filter cover.

Seepage is not leakage. Does it drip? Use the aftermarket thicker gasket it hurts nothing. & new oring on filter cover.
Yeah - it does drip towards the back of the sump....and from the joint between the sump and crankcase. Thanks for the input!

For that to get oil it has to come across 1/2 the pan gasket & into bolt well, choose green or red ones not black ones.
Todd might have some in the store.

I must say for an old bike that oil on the sump bolt isn't much, but knowing how "anal" us Guzzi owners are you could try Hylomar blue (a non setting gasket and jointing compound) on the threads and that will stop it "wicking" , You could even try it on the sump gasket
Thanks Kevin! I've used Hylomar before but haven't seen it her in the US, but found it's available on Amazon!

You might change all of the flat sealing washers at the same time.
My big block will do that if only ridden a few miles. I think it's because of different contraction and expanding rates.
Interesting suggestion. I couldn't remember if there were even sealing washers on the sump bolts, so I looked at the Parts book and it doesn't show them on the sump bolts. May be a sensible upgrade if I can find some that fit.

Thanks Kevin! I've used Hylomar before but haven't seen it her in the US, but found it's available on Amazon!
Permatex seems to make an equilavent anerobic sealant. I found it listed on the O'Reiley auto parts site. You may be able to source locally. I found it by searching for hylomar.

Back