Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

LED Bulbs

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jun 9, 2018.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I now have the new 5600 version in stock on the online Store HERE or click the pic below.

[​IMG]

Mayakovski likes this.
  2. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

A very nice and simple upgrade to the stock headlamp.

Poppe likes this.
  3. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'd like to hear for others that have installed the high output H4. How significant is the improvement when riding at night? How tight is the fit when installing the ballast in the headlight? Any discoloration of the reflector from the excessive heat?

Paul

4. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I ran with the Cyclops 4000 lumen model for a while.

- The ballast fits with no problems in the V7III headlight bucket.
    - The lamp runs cooler than the stock headlamp, and consumes about a third the power.

The low (dipped) beam is significantly brighter than the stock headlight. The high (main) beam is brighter too, but the real fault with the V7III headlight is that the main beam pattern isn't ideal no matter what bulb you put in it.

For most, I'd say the Cyclops LED H4 replacement is a good improvement.

For the peculiarities of my night vision, the main beam didn't help me enough. I found that the OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus H4 did a better job on high beam for me, although it's not quite as bright on low beam as the Cyclops. Trade-offs...

That's why I want to get the JW Speaker LED Adaptive headlight, eventually. (Likely when I get the Stucchi fairing.)

Sandy Wright and roadscum like this.
  5. Stradagene

I've been running Todd's 3800 lumen LED headlamp for the last 4000 miles. No discoloration or signs of excess heat. No vibration issues.
    As with many stock components, the stock headlamp seemed like some sort of strange joke - barely adequate in many situations.
    I have found the LED replacement bulb, on the other hand, to be entirely satisfactory in every circumstance.

Are better beam patterns available with an entirely new housing? Undoubtedly, but I have never felt like more is needed, whereas the stock configuration was pathetically unsuitable for most non-urban night time riding.

It depends on how icky-picky you are, but if you want to go from inadequate to functional this is a great purchase without a huge price tag.

Poppe likes this.
  6. roadscum

Thank you sir for your candid response. My goal is to save electrons at the headlight to help with running the Nav. heated grips, and one heated jacket liner...… and not give up headlight capability or spending big $$$. I've got other bike that have great OEM LED lighting and can run all the electronic accessories the pillion and I will ever need.

On the V7 III I'll likely stick with the PIAA H4 Extreme White Plus I'm currently using. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Paul

Poppe likes this.
  7. GT-Rx®

No better way than LED. The PIAA version isn’t saving you any.

Poppe likes this.
  8. roadscum

I agree, but it seems moving to a LED bulb would reduce the effectiveness of my current set up. Yep, life is one big compromise.

Paul

9. GT-Rx®

Disagree. ;)

10. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I have to agree with Todd on this. I wanted a better high beam, which is why the LED H4 didn't work out so well for me, but the low beam was significantly improved and it certainly uses a lot less of the alternator output.

Mayakovski likes this.
  11. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I went out for my first night ride with the H4 Cyclops 3800 last night and what a difference. Much better visibility, much farther view down the road and better side view as well. Once I have the headlight properly adjusted (to high right now) it should be about perfect.

Poppe, Stradagene and Godfrey like this.
  12. tobinh

tobinh Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

this all sounds great!

Todd - can I get some for my Breva 1100? I guess I need an H7 and an H9? I asked a while back, and was cautioned against LED bulbs in that housing. True?

13. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

Hello - Is Todd's Headlamp bulb need any resistors or is it a Plug & Play for my 2018 V7 III?
    C.A.S. H4 LED BULB

14. Stradagene

It was plug and play on my V7R

Hey! Did you see the V7/V9 ride post? You should come out and ride! The last V7/V9 rides we've had were a blast! Time for another one!!

15. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The only LED upgrades which need resistors are the indicators.

16. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Unless you get ones that do not need resistors.

17. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

In which case you have bulbs with resistors (or some equivalent circuitry) incorporated. The CAN-BUS bulbs aren't quite as good as the plain LEDs. The resistors are easy to come by and quite easy to install. I don't see them in Todd's store, so I s'pose I'm ok to say that these gize sell them - procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

18. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for all your replies and input. I just ordered the LED headlamp bulb from GuzziTech.

Poppe likes this.