Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Lifting V7 Stone III

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mikael Weiss, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mikael Weiss

Mikael Weiss Just got it firing!

Hey guys,

I'm started to get ready to perform the first service on my V7 III and check the valve clearances.

Any suggestions on how to lift the V7 III to get the back wheel off the ground? I've seen people lift prior V7s by the oil pan but, this model's pan seems to have a curve to it so, it may tip?

Has anyone ever done this procedure WITHOUT lifting the bike?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Tuned and Synch'ed

I have added centerstand to my bike, everthing is easier.
    But if you want to change mufflers in the future. Do not buy MG centerstand. Its stopper is and only attached on OE LH muffler. Just buy Hepco centerstand instead.

Oh! What's about rear wheel roller stand which most people use when lube the chain.

s-l300.jpg

3. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

What is the best lubricant for the chain my my V7 !!!?

4. Mikael Weiss

That seems like it might work great and, it's cheap! Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally, I'd also have a center stand but, it seems it would be around 350$USD to get one to Canada.. so, a bit much IMO. Those rollers should do the trick and can be had for around 30$! Perfect.

5. Mikael Weiss

Seriously? Search the forums. It's Italian so, obviously, it's Olive oil.

salt-bae.jpg

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

or buy the drive on wheel chock from harbor freight for about $48 using a 20% off discount coupon. keeps ir pretty upright. great for storage and checking oil. then just put a jack with a board under the crank case and put into sixth gear. easy to tap it over then.

7. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

If anyone has photos of jacking a V7III, please post them. I've put off buying a jack because I want to lift by the frame rails but the exhaust is REALLY close and lower than the rails. I'm wondering if it's possible to lift without some special cradle between jack and bike?

8. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    9CA63300-2485-40AB-B0A9-4D4047D5A616.jpeg 6D0FD0AE-3B23-45E9-8353-6520B2427AB6.jpeg Ok, ok ... it’s a II.

Also have rear on a Pitbull.

But I have one of the HF front wheel chocks and intend to use that with the V7 III I just bought from my brother when we get home from Atlanta, at least when too lazy to put it up on the Handy lift.

Your point about exhaust clearance is well-taken. I will let you know if someone here doesn’t come on sooner.

Bill

9. Mayakovski

Except they do not ship to Canada. :(

10. jefrs

jefrs Just got it firing!

Fit a centre stand

john zibell likes this.
  11. Matthew Nuttall

Matthew Nuttall Just got it firing!

I've actually been looking into what the best options are for stands since I would like do most of the maintenance on the bike myself. Here are the few options I have seen so far:
    • The most common one out there is Pitbull for us.
    • Baxley Sport Bike Chock (seems to run around $200 or so)
    • Abba Superbike Stand (apparently works with a Ducati Multistrada fitting kit for the V7)
    • Dynamoto Stands - they said they will have an option for the Guzzi's this year. Really like that you can rotate the bike 360 in one spot on these stands, but they are $$$ (see the Triumph example below).
    [​IMG]

Mayakovski likes this.
  12. Mayakovski

I would love to hear from anyone using this system, just how much effort is needed to pivot the bike around 180 degrees. I have a small space, with just enough room to pivot the bike on it's axis, but not much spare.
    Thanks

13. Garth Weston

Garth Weston Just got it firing!

I use a motorcycle jack available at CT or PA for around $100. I made an adaptor out of scrap wood and rubber pads that lifts my V7iii at the rear of the oil pan and the lower rear frame cross bar (behind the cannister). I've used this jack for years with all my Brit bikes.

Attached Files:

avlis likes this.
  14. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

But we have Princess Auto which is the same idea as Harbour freight. I use this lift which is relatively cheap. Set lifting points on lower cross frame rail behind exhaust (don't lift from the exhaust!)
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-100-lb-atv-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8667818e
    Now I do drive it into a wheel chock first (As Vagrant suggests) so the front wheel is captive. Also available from Princess auto

Mayakovski likes this.
  15. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed

My 2013 V7 has the MG stand which does lift the rear wheel. I put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the floor under the center stand. Works great.

16. Mayakovski

Huh, never heard of them before. Thanks for the suggestion and the link. :)

17. Mikael Weiss

For those interested: I ended up getting the Rollastand for 33$ on fortnine.ca. It's quite small and light but solid enough and doesn't flex at all. With this, I was able to check valves clearances without an issue. (err.. without an issue regarding getting the wheel to turn anyway..)

https://fortnine.ca/en/hardline-rollastand

18. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I've looked at the pix and read the blurb on the site - https://fortnine.ca/en/hardline-rollastand
    I can't for the life of me reconcile what I see (pix) with what I read (below in bold):

Hardline Rollastand
    • Most advanced motorcycle stand on the market providing easy relocation of the bike while on the stand
    • Quick foot pedal operation of heavy-duty castor base allows the bike to be lifted and rolled to a desired location
    • Durable chrome moly steel construction with corrosion resistant powder-coated finish
    • Solid injection molded rubber top with High Roller logos to ensure constant grip of the bike
    • Maximum weight limit 350lbs.
    • Patent pending

Nor can I see how it might hold the bike upright, there-by earning the title "stand".

19. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

That looks like an incorrect copy-paste of a blurb for another product to me. :)

I looked it up on the Revzilla.com website. It's basically just a simple pair of rollers that you can put the rear wheel on, with the bike on the side stand, that let you turn the rear wheel easily. I could use one with my ride-on front wheel stand to hold the bike upright for maintenance work.

20. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

With you so far, but how does it provide, "... easy relocation of the bike while on the stand"?
    And where is the "Quick foot pedal operation ..."?

I reckon they've either (accidentally) put the wrong description on the shown item or else it's over-the-top false advertising. The item shown can't do either of those things.