• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Link to speedo sensor threads pls.

tleegt

Just got it firing!
Hi all. It's been about a year since I last posted. Had problems with login following a software change and I stopped coming. I'm back now under a new name and need your help.

I'm currently on a tour of Eastern Canada and am bout 300km past the last Guzzi dealer and have most of the trip ahead of me still. I've now hit significant rain and it will stay with me for another 3-4 days.

This morning I had that speedo problem that people seem to talk about a lot. It conked out. Both speedo and odos stopped working and the SERVICE light and display went on. The rain lightened a little bit about an hour later and the speedo came back on and stayed good for the remainder of the day today -- about 200 Km and mostly through a pretty tough rain and winds.

Although it's good now I'm concerned about the rest of the trip. I can't fully dry it out because of the forecast and of course being on a tour, the bike will be parked outside most of the time.

If I can find a bit of dryness, I was hoping to try to seal it. I can't find any of the threads though and I don't even know what to look for on the bike. Can someone point me to the thread or give me a brief description of what to do? I'm hoping that if I can take a hairdryer to something and seal it with a bit of electrical tape or something, it'll last me until I get backt (about 4000 km from now).

Thanks!

Tom
Waterloo Canada, currently soaking wet in Rimouski Quebec.

If you are using hotels then put the shower cap that they provide over the clocks each time you park.

Tom, I'm pretty sure most of that info is currently hiding in a back up copy of the old (crashed) Forum.

Hopefully they'll speak up again here.

The short & sweet answer:
The speedo & odo are driven by the input sent from the sensor mounted at the rear wheel between the CARC and the brake disc. From what I've experienced, the most vulnerable portion to water infiltration is right where the wire enters the small square sensor. The gap around the wire funnels water right into the sensor body, shorting out or interfering with the signal. If on the road and needing an emergency repair... you May be able to adequately spray that area with a moisture repelling spray that's safe for electrical connections (like WD40), wipe it off throughly and then seal it with a dab of RTV or even nail polish so you can finish your trip.

Remove when back home with a small torx bit and clean & seal better. an epoxy sealant will make for a more permanent repair.

Good luck:)

PS if needed, I've been carrying a spare for over a year... let me know if you need it shipped out somewhere in a hurry

Hey thanks for the addvice. Sorry for not replying earlier. Internet access has been bad. Since the fault, i haven't had a real overnight soaking. Managed to find sheltered parking or the rain hasn't been bad enough. Haven't seen the problem again and the weather is looking better for the final 3 days of my trip.

Tom.

When i reporteded the same problem to my moto guzzi dealer he told me that only the guzzi's with spoke wheels (griso SE, bellagio and stelvio) where having these problems and they where seaching for a solution. Apperently the casted wheel are no better of then?

kampe wrote:
When i reporteded the same problem to my moto guzzi dealer he told me that only the guzzi's with spoke wheels (griso SE, bellagio and stelvio) where having these problems and they where seaching for a solution. Apperently the casted wheel are no better of then?

I believe there certainly might be problems with picking up signal with the spoked wheels, but we've been able to observe / document moisture damage in the sensors by dismantling, and repairing same with new epoxy etc.
IMHO The problem in other Grisos etc. is not the wheel, but the poorly sealed sensor being used. The sensor performs as planned... its just not adequately sealed to keep working that way:unsure:

I just had the same issue on '07 griso.....in the middle of the woods (northern Central PA). Spent a few hundred miles on very wet roads and lost the Speed sensor. It dried out after a couple of hours warm/dry running and I hit it with some clear coat nail polish...interesting way to start a conversation with a bar maid.......

It did not cut out on the 500 miles back.....

rdl

;) Well, I'll be shure to seal the new sensor (warrenty replacement) with some silicone or somthing other weather resistend. Does anybody have experience with sealent that will keep the moisture out?

I've tried a variety of common sealants (RTV etc) that worked for up to a few months before peeling or breaking down.
Another poster re-potted some old sensors with an epoxy mix made for electronics. I've had one of his on for over 10,000 miles without failure:)
I would use epoxy if I were to do it again. If your local auto parts dealer doesn't stock a flexible epoxy, I would guess checking Radio Shack would be a likely source. I've seen it on-line in those handy little double nozzled syringe applicators... should be an easy fix;)

How do Gents :)

You mean to tell me, they've still not fixed the speedo problem yet?

ATB

Steve

Err no, my dealer recons they bought 20,000 Spanish sensors at a knock down price so until they're all gone....................................

Steve uk wrote:
How do Gents :)

You mean to tell me, they've still not fixed the speedo problem yet?

ATB

Steve

Hey Steve

Your epoxied repair is flawless! :)

It's forced me to find new things to b*tch about :laugh:

Hey Adrian! :)

I'm really glad to hear your sensor is still behaving.

It's forced me to find new things to b*tch about :laugh:

Ain't that always the way ;) :lol:

It's quite strange, I still miss the 1100...If I were to come across it again, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it back. Mind you..I can't fault the Triumph, guess the Guzzi would be another to be added to fleet, ;)

Before I forget..I was having a sort out on the pc the other day, found the article I wrote. If anyone wants it, feel free to give me a shout and I'll post it up again. Someone might find a use for it...

Take it easy,

Steve

Steve, yes please... repost it. If you have any problems, let me know direct.

Got it Steve, thanks again! Now posted in the main section HERE.

Cool, thanks for the mail Todd.

I was just saying to Todd on the email, sounds like I might have had a call from what sounded like MG, the girl was wanting to know what I thought of the quality of the new bike I purchsed... :laugh:

My wife had answered, saying that I was at work, best she speak to me...So I may well be getting a call tomorrow.

Cheers,

S

Back