• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lipo battery for V7 850?

Mindis

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
As ya guessed it, I want to put Lipo battery in my 21' V7 850. Before obvious question arise, I'll try to answer it in advance- no, I don't need a new battery, factory one is still new and will be good for years.
I want a small battery so I can relocate it under the frame behind gearbox, where my Evap canister used to be. I'm making tidy side covers and don't like how original battery placement is sticking out the side. Also, eventually (when warranty runs out) I'll be chopping frame for monoshock conversion and naked hole under the seat, so battery will have to get out of there anyway.
Here's my worries/questions...
1. How reliable are Guzzi's rectifiers? I would presume it's new tech with mosfets, but they cheapened out on shocks so... lol I know not to trust old 80s Jap bike rectifiers with lipos.
2. I heard of 2 cases of stator fails in older V7s. Haven't heard anything about V7 850 fails but...
Being in RC hobby all of my life I know "a bit" more about lipos then mere mortals, had my fair share of fails like smoking drones in mid air and so on. So over years I kinda developed paranoia over their safety. I measured battery voltage of a running engine, 14.3v there or there. As 14.4v is max for lipo charging it's all good, but when I gave a quick revving few times, voltage momentarily spiked to 15.8v and over 16v. A split second voltage spikes will not overcharge lipo, not worried there, but when I revved up to 3K rpm and kept the revs on, battery was charging at 15.2v and it took around 4 seconds for voltage to drop below 14.4v. That's kinda worries me:think:
Me thinks, I'll add a battery voltage monitor so I can see charging voltage. It would make sense to connect it directly to the battery but I don't want it to be on 24/7. There's a spare connector under the seat that has power only when engine is running, but I haven't checked yet is there a difference between it's voltage and the voltage connected directly to the battery. I'll ride and monitor charging voltage. If I'm happy with it then I'll make a box and put my lipo where I want, and still keep that voltage monitor. If my stator fails, I'll see that it's not charging. If it's overcharging, I'll see it as well.
Am I overthinking? Too paranoid? Is there more to it? Any thoughts on this?
Cheers, Mindi.

The battery at the store tab will be good. However I can't say I like the idea of butchering up a perfectly good bike.

I have had a Battery Tender LiFePO4 battery pack in my V10 Centauro for about 5 years now. It is very small. In fact, it came with all sorts of foam bolsters to make it so you could put the battery straps around it to hold it firmly in place. I paid about $130 for it and it came with a 3 year prorated warranty from BatteryTender directly.

Never had any issues with electrics or voltage regulator. Electrons are electrons!

When everything under the sun with a LiFePO4 battery seemed to be catching on fire on videos around the world, I became a little paranoid and worried but nothing has ever gone wrong with it.

I like it so much that in my other 7 motorcycles, if and when they need replacing, this is the route I will go to replace them. My Centauro has been the most solid performing battery I have ever owned!

They make several sizes (5) and I have the second smallest one, which I don’t think they make exactly anymore (it’s 270 CCA) it weighs just 1 kilogram. When I first unpacked it, I didn’t think it would start a lawnmower but in fact, it has been the strongest cranking and the battery with the least amount of discharge I have ever seen. It’s been a diehard workhorse!

I’m with John in that I would not carve into your loom but would rather add the external wiring I needed and tie it into the original battery cables.

Hope this helps you.

3532956D FC76 4210 9385 BA6E3FDD4D13

4A7B8E07 EFCF 4A9D 9F33 0B987ADAFD3D

648BD4C6 5534 4487 ABF3 2B71B0F58FF4
9678864B 7C2C 47C9 9817 5BD4F2EADFB6

Last edited:
1. How reliable are Guzzi's rectifiers? I would presume it's new tech with mosfets, but they cheapened out on shocks so... lol I know not to trust old 80s Jap bike rectifiers with lipos.
2. I heard of 2 cases of stator fails in older V7s. Haven't heard anything about V7 850 fails but...
Being in RC hobby all of my life I know "a bit" more about lipos then mere mortals, had my fair share of fails like smoking drones in mid air and so on. So over years I kinda developed paranoia over their safety. I measured battery voltage of a running engine, 14.3v there or there. As 14.4v is max for lipo charging it's all good, but when I gave a quick revving few times, voltage momentarily spiked to 15.8v and over 16v. A split second voltage spikes will not overcharge lipo, not worried there, but when I revved up to 3K rpm and kept the revs on, battery was charging at 15.2v and it took around 4 seconds for voltage to drop below 14.4v. That's kinda worries me
1. They are not. I will again encourage you to search and read here in this very section. Most every question you likely have has already been answered.
2. This is also well covered here. The stator is the same as the V7 III (wet system), so I expect we'll see similar failures in time. Aprilia RSVs have the same issues. I too have preached about the overcharging of these systems and beating on of the batteries by this issue. Not many are willing to listen, and in fact most are argumentative about it.

AntiG batteries have built-in shunt technology for over-charging scenarios along with sleep mode if the voltage gets too low. They (AG) are here in SoCal, and they lost me when they moved 100% of the construction to China, and didn't allow walk-ins for me on warranty issues. The original co-founder always encouraged me to stop in with any issues. The new "staff" were horrific and literally told me I'm not welcome in the warehouse which angered my Italian blood, so I've moved on.

I can't say I like the idea of butchering up a perfectly good bike.
I hear ya, lots are just happy what they've been given but not me, I can make it "perfecter" LOL
I’m with John in that I would not carve into your loom but would rather add the external wiring I needed and tie it into the original battery cables.
That's exactly my plan. From what I see ground battery cable will reach under the belly, not sure yet about positive one, will check that later. Thank you sir!
2. This is also well covered here.
I tend to search before asking but looks like I didn't dig deep enough LOL Noted for the future, thanks boss, I got my answers I was after👍

Back