• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lithium Battery by Deltran Battery Tender

Longrider

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I installed the Deltran Battery Tender Lithium Iron Phosphate battery on my California 1400. I chose the most powerful (480 cranking amps) version. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

PROS

Smaller than the Yuasa YXT20-BS that came from the factory. Width is 3/8” less, but Deltran provides a lot of stick-on spacers in various sizes to fit the battery to the battery compartment. Depth is about the same; perhaps 1/16” less than Yuasa. Height is 1.02” less. That shorter height is important to me because I have two accessory cables attached to the battery. On the Yuasa, those additional cables made it difficult to re-install the molded plastic cover over the battery. Plenty of clearance on the Deltran.

Two sets of terminals on the Deltran. I attached the 1400’s battery leads to one set and my accessory cables to the other set.

Lighter than the Yuasa YXT20-BS by 7.45 pounds.

CONS

Expensive. I purchased through Amazon, paying $200. (Deltran has less expensive versions that are less powerful; their 360 cranking amp version probably would have done the job.) Incidentally, Amazon said Deltan’s batteries are not compatible with the California 1400. Probably because Moto Guzzi is not listed in Deltran’s fitment chart.

Lithium-specific charger required. A conventional charger will damage it. I got Deltran’s lithium-specific Battery Tender charger on Amazon for $37.

BOTTOM LINE: Bike starts instantly. Better for accessory leads. I am very pleased.

Good info. I will go that way when I replace my stock battery.

Hi mate. Thanks for the info. I am thinking of opting for a Lithium battery for my Cafe Racer T5 Project, but was wondering what minimum Amps would I need. Ideally the smallest battery SIZE possible to fit under the seat. I have a new Electronic ignition, Electrosport regulator and Dyna Coils so whole electrical system will be new. Also all lights are LED, so just need battery to start the lady and very little for lights...

Thanks for your help,
Jake

I am thinking of opting for a Lithium battery for my Cafe Racer T5 Project, but was wondering what minimum Amps would I need. Ideally the smallest battery SIZE possible to fit under the seat
The small case 12-cell will more than do the job. It's 360 Cranking Amps - 4.50″ Length x 3.25″ Depth and 4.25″ Height (to the top of the terminals).

My 480 amp Deltran battery is 6.49". X 3.38" x 5.11". Deltran's 360 amp version has the same case dimensions and 1.15 lbs. lighter. Todd's 360 amp battery is substantially smaller -- better for your cafe project- and probably better quality. Todd is very selective about what he sells and doubtless put more research into his selection than I did. I had a battery that would not hold a charge. I live in the mountains and was leaving on a trip. Consequently, Amazon Prime saved the day for me.

Thanks mate.
Smallest 360CCA battery I have found is the JMT Lithium one, which measures 150x105x87mm. I think I may settle for that one, Made in Germany.

Price is around 150€ on ebay, will check amazon see if they have it also.

Once again thanks for your help, ride safe,
Jake

My 480 amp Deltran battery is 6.49". X 3.38" x 5.11". Deltran's 360 amp version has the same case dimensions and 1.15 lbs. lighter. Todd's 360 amp battery is substantially smaller -- better for your cafe project- and probably better quality. Todd is very selective about what he sells and doubtless put more research into his selection than I did. I had a battery that would not hold a charge. I live in the mountains and was leaving on a trip. Consequently, Amazon Prime saved the day for me.

I installed the Deltran Battery Tender Lithium Iron Phosphate battery on my California 1400. I chose the most powerful (480 cranking amps) version. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Just wondering, does fitting a smaller battery allow enough access to the air cleaner lid to be able to remove it without taking the battery out. If so it would be worth going to the smaller one for that reason alone when the original battery needs replacing.

No, I doubt it. The battery compartment and lid will still be in the way.

I've all ready removed the part of the cover over the battery so that it is accessible just by removing the seat if I need a jump start and there is no compartment around the battery.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 31
Back