• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Liver spotting on the exhaust?

Steve uk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi Guys,

I seem to remember there was a post a while ago about how to get the liver spotting off the exhaust down pipes.

Can anyone point me to, or how to get them pipes polished up, without scraping the hell out of them?

Cheers,

S

I've used this Hein Gericke stuff. Works pretty well at getting the spots off. Its pretty aggressive so wear rubber gloves & don't splash it on anything delicate. You'll have to use conventional metal polish to maintain shine or over time/miles the pipes will go dull & matt.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/adva ... r&x=9&y=10

Hey Steve,

I am a novice polisher but just asked the same question this weekend to some local "old guys." I have the same problem on my Griso. I was advised to use "Simichrome" (a white paste) and #0000(finest) steel wool which works wonders on the stainless headers to get rid of the spots and shined them up very nice. Don't get any Simichrome near paint and be sure to wear gloves. Also, a little bit goes a LONG way so just start with a dab or two.

Don't use the steel wool on any chrome, just Simichrome and a rag will do the trick. I did it all by hand so the stuff works really well.

Hi Guys,

I was only thinking my pipes looked tatty about 10 minutes ago... Ill give this a try.

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the pointers. :) I bought some cleaner, tho not the brands you mentioned, will try it out later today. If it doesn't have a good effect, I'll hunt down some of the proper stuff.

If it does work I'll take a few pics and post them here ;)

Cheers for that,

Steve

I use Autosol or Purple Polish with a soft rag. No scowrer's or steel wool :eek:hmy: . There is nothing that will keep them looking good forever. The more regular you do it the easier it is and takes less time.

I got sick of polishing and am inherently lazy, so had them ceramic coated.

mikec_B11_ceramic_0003.JPG

You can go a long way to keeping them looking good by wiping them down with some alcohol after you wax the bike. Finger prints and wax will turn to spots. Keep them wiped down after polishing and they should color evenly.
This works for me.

Papasloan wrote:
You can go a long way to keeping them looking good by wiping them down with some alcohol after you wax the bike. Finger prints and wax will turn to spots. Keep them wiped down after polishing and they should color evenly.
This works for me.
WTF! Live with the spots if you can`t polish out with solvol and drink the alcohol later, DON`T WASTE IT.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

commando tod wrote:
Papasloan wrote:
This works for me.
WTF! Live with the spots if you can`t polish out with solvol and drink the alcohol later, DON`T WASTE IT.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

You're not doing a Roper on us, are you ? ;)

You could spend most of your life polishing the spots out, just for them to return later. If the sight of them worries you to the point of frustration, coat them/paint them or spend more time riding so you don`t have to look at them. At least they`re stainless and the marks have no detrimental effect.
As for "doing a Roper" He`s gone for now. "May the sun always shine on his face and the wind be at his back"
And if he should return? we`ll all be the richer for his company,:cheer:

Back