• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

LM IV - Electric Switch(?) Problems

azzivar

Just got it firing!
Last weekend I noticed that my left front signal stopped working. I replaced the bulb and it still didn't work. Upon inspection of the old bulb it seemed fine (filaments still connected, etc.). Then last night, I headed home from a friend (who's gonna weld up a jig for my MC lift for the LM), I noticed I had no high beams - and no indicator light when switched. When I stopped for gas, I also checked the rest of my lighting and found I had no brake lights either - tail lights were fine, but no brake lights. One of the gauge lights (voltmeter) is out now too.

Are these symptoms of the original switch gear? I've been told that basically that they're junk. Any comments or suggestions before I start tearing down the instrument panel and switch gear?

thanks,
Greg

Always a first point of call is the fuses. Check those.

Then check the switch block. WD40 is always a good thing to not go sparingly on.

Finally with so many light dropping out, I would think it is a common earth somewhere. So check connections particularly ones to the frame. Deciphering the wiring diagram might be needed.

All the wires on the original blocks are riveted through plastic so when something goes wrong there is a melt down. 25 years is way longer than the life expectancy of these things.

Bin it and fit aftermarket switch blocks.

As others have said the original wiring was not fantastic the day it was made and if you want a reliable bike it isn't a bad idea to bin it and rewire the bike with new fuse blocks, connectors etc. The wire loom that goes to the steering head will wear out as copper work hardens eventually. The guzzi had a rats nest of wires to accomodate the police and military models and guzzi had a nasty habit of multiple grounding points - there should be one. Also some wires could be a heavier gauge - like the light and starter.

The guzzi switch gear gets a lot of bad press. I have the 'Pretty Candy' lemans 1 switchgear that appears to be made of the softest plastic on earth. The thing is I actually like the ergonomics of them versus similar Japanese era ones so I persist.

To make them work I have done the following:

1. The early ones used a single copper wiper onto the handlebars to establish ground. The slightest corrosion and no continuity so I soldered a wire onto the wiper which then went to frame ground via a proper ring terminal.
2. Drilled a small hole on the underside of the switches to allow the occasional spray of contact cleaner/WD40. THis also allows any condensation to drain out.
3. Lights and horn run through a relay so the switches do not conduct any real current and if the switch fails you do not lose your lights.

Same applies pretty much to the later switchgear.

Ta,

ChrisR

I've had problems with various electrical items on my LMIV and after studying the schematic I found there is some silly ass wiring up on the steering head, especially related to the 4 way flashers.

Having said that, it sounds like you have problems with things that should be on completely separate circuits, which would make me look at grounds, or specifically at ground points on the head.

Also note that you need an electronic flasher on this model or you are very likely to have intermittent turn signals; flashing when the voltage is just right and not flashing other times.

Best thing to do is treat each problem as a separate one and work along the circuit path with a test light or meter. You may find a common cause, or you may find several different problems.

Update:

1) Brake lever issue - loose, unplugged wire - reconnected & holding in place with a tie-wrap!

2) Signal light - loose wiring somewhere - a little jiggling and it came on - not good, but workable; I'll probably tie-wrap the wires in place until I rewire.

3) High beams - DOH! user error! (how embarrassing is that?)

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions! I'm considering replacing the switch blocks, as reccommended. Can anyone suggest what works best? Honda, Yamamha, Kaw or Suzuki? I'm pretty close to a cycle salvage business, so I can probably get used stuff as I would imagine new gear from a dealer would be pretty pricey.

Greg

Before you go fishing for a salvage switch that may have been sitting out in the weather for who knows how long, suggest you try MI/MG Cycle/MG Classics, they may well have something quite good for less than you think.

azzivar said:
Can anyone suggest what works best? Honda, Yamamha, Kaw or Suzuki?

Go the beemer blocks with the three-button indicators set-up...just for shits and giggles.

Back