Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Looking at a 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - I'm not a MG guy but.....

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by VstronNme, Feb 2, 2018.

1. VstronNme

VstronNme Just got it firing!

Hi I'm new to MGs and would like to know how much a 2007 Norge 1200 would be worth. Any issues with these bikes? It looks like a BMW and I'm trying to stay away from them due to the cost of parts but these might be the same? They look like nice bikes and something you could go in long trips on.

My prior bikes have been a few suzuki DL 650 and 1000s and a Victory CCT. I don't own a bike and can't put too much out for one! :)

Thoughts?

2. Trout

Trout GT Reference

One thing you need to find out is: Has the bike had the cam/rollerization done?
    The pre-2013 1200 motors had issues with flat tappets going bad.
    That would be the "Big" issue but other than that Guzzi's are an addiction.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

07 would be the 2V motor, Good motors! You can pick them up reasonable these days, look around there are nice ones out there. Parts aren't bad, don't need many. They were made in a few colors too, plenty to choose from, good luck.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

As Steve says above, pretty solid bikes outside of a few early (mostly red) bikes having an oil pump issue, and an annoying high idle (stepper motor) issue.

5. VstronNme

Thanks - Is this about the size of a BMW 11000rt? It seems very similar to that bike. I take it they are reliable?

6. VstronNme

And - do you think $4k is reasonable with 35,000 miles on it?

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Kubbie likes this.
  8. VstronNme

Thanks for your help!

9. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Similar to the RT, but I would call it closer to the 1100 or 1150 RS version.

10. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I have one. Love it.

75K miles, nearly all on back roads, two-up, and, while my sweet wife is a delightful companion :inlove: and a slip of a thing :makeup:, on multi-day trips, she lets me have the tank bag; she gets the rest. ;)

And, despite having been an early "victim" of that oil-pump issue Todd mentioned, along with a CARC that went south [Not sure anyone else had that happen], it is a delight.

As far as I am concerned, the more maddening perennially persistent problem was the oil-pressure sensor. I eventually solved that after fixing what everyone correctly told me (and I was in denial) it was the culprit.

As I said, I rarely run the slab, but others who have 'em and do that, tell me that it'll do that all day at illegal speeds, two-up and loaded. The OEM rear shock sux green eggs. R&R'd that with one of Todd's after pivoting on a curvy back road with The Perfect Pillion aboard. Has been a delight since.

[Edited after posting 30 mins ago to add that MG went to a beefier spring in, I think, '08, but did not up-gun shock. If your "fighting weight" is not over 200, the better spring may work for you. May.]

An Atlanta friend of mine has one that he is about to put on the market for <$2K.

No, really. 2008, I think. He is a fanatic about maintenance, but ... erm ... how can I put this candidly and kindly? I can't. :giggle:

He doesn't care about how it looks. It has duct tape on some of its cracked tupperware. Lordy. Makes me weep. :cry:

Feel free to call or email if you want more on firstgen Norges or that one in particular.

Oh, and Jim Barron at Rose Farm Classics is a local source of great Guzzi wisdom for you: http://www.rosefarmclassics.com

Bill

404.EIGHTZEROEIGHT.8486; wrhaganATearthlink.net

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  11. VstronNme

Bill - thanks so much of the information. I'm about an hour away from Jim's place so that is awesome. I saw a Norge - they are asking 4300 for it. I'm not made of $$ so I want to get something for $3500 or less. I found a 1992 BMW k75 for $1200 but - there is a problem with the title so - I'm waiting to see if that can get worked out. It has 72k miles on it and I think I want a never bike. Some friends and I are going to Nova Scotia in June so I want something reliable. I had a 2014 Suzuki DL1000 but I sold it to get out of debt. Nice bike. SO I'm looking. :)

12. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 Just got it firing!

I think this is the silver '07 that was on consignment at Moterwerks last year. When I looked at it last year, they couldn't get it started, and passed for a well-sorted '09 with only 10k miles on it - same price. There are a bunch out there, you can afford to be picky Especially this time of year. : ) Once sorted (Jim @ Rosefarms is THE man), they are stone reliable. I put 10k miles on my 'new' used '09 last year, 2-up w/luggage. I'm in N.IL/Chicagoland if you've other questions.

Mike

13. VstronNme

14. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 Just got it firing!

No, the one downtown on Western. (Also a BMW dealer).

15. VstronNme

Ahh yes - I drop off the toys for tots there.

16. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  17. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

18. KRHguzi

KRHguzi Tuned and Synch'ed

If I was going to buy a early Norge or 1200S I would immediately replace the oil pump. Plus the price would have to be lowered to cover the cost of replacing the pump.

19. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Hum. Chicago to Nova Scotia. Means you could stop by Hamlin's shop in CT if needed. You could do a LOT worse.

20. VstronNme

That would be a good place to stop!