Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

Looking at a 2012 Norge, advice requested

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Norge_Shopper, Oct 7, 2021.

?

Should I be concerned about the valvetrain?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Norge_Shopper

Norge_Shopper Just got it firing!

I found a 2012 white Norge on Cycle Trader, private sale for $5K with 21K miles. The VIN indicates it is in the affected range for the roller lifter issue per the thread on this site. I contacted the seller, who is the original owner. He said the recall was never done, nor was it needed per his MG dealer. I also checked the VIN on MG's site and it does not show as having any open recalls.

It seems like if the bike has gone 21K miles and still runs well, then this should not be an issue.

I'd also like to add a rack and trunk to it, but have not found a good source for doing so, the racks I see listed are either overseas or out of stock.

Any advice on the bike is welcome.

2. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

It was not a recall. It was a TSB. The only recall for that bike was the rear suspension wishbone.
    MG paid for the new roller cam kit and in some cases the labor I believe. If the bike has not been updated it will fail sooner or later. The only way for the dealer to know for sure is if they took off the valve covers and looked.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

Agree, look under covers.

4. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT di Razza Pura

That’s the bike in Texas. I was looking at it too but I quickly determined IMO that the current owner is full of crap. He knows exactly what this serious issue is and I guarantee that this is why he is selling it.

It was never a recall so claiming that there is no open campaign. is disingenuous at best, and outright lying at worst.

Read my post on the topic and you will understand. It also has the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) there which you can download and read.

You will be buying an expensive problem to fix. Period. The bike is worth $1,500 to anybody who is not a mechanic. To a mechanic like me, it’s worth no more than $2,000 tops because to repair it (if kits are still even available) is like $1,500 - $2,000 in parts if I remember correctly.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-tappet-failure-but-were-afraid-to-ask.17282/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    V700Steve, john zibell and Moto-Uno like this.
  5. scottmastrocinque

Well, I went and actually checked. Kit A, Moto Guzzi part # 1A002060 from one supplier online is $1,226 and is showing backordered. (Edit: GTM sells it much cheaper here in the STORE).

I would bet that it ‘s been backordered for quite some time now and I wouldn’t hold my breath for that backorder to be fulfilled anytime soon, if at all.

As I said earlier, I believe that all of the kits Moto Guzzi had produced, are long gone by now. I could be mistaken but I doubt it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  6. Norge_Shopper

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to pass on this one.

7. scottmastrocinque

Wise choice. :nerd:

8. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Well, I sell them here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/1200-8v-roller-cam-update - I’ve gotten and installed two sets within the last month, and a third set on the way within a week of paid order. ;)
    To the OP, Scott is spot on otherwise.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  9. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

So, if you want “That Bike” , you can try explaining it to him, but you can’t make someone believe , something they claim( say they have been told) is not a problem.
    And it might not be a problem yet, but who know ? When...

Is this a do it yourself job OR mechanic recommended ?

If your in no hurry, you can wait 6 months and prod him.

10. scottmastrocinque

Well there you go Norge_Shopper. Todd has them and cheaper! Always best to ask the GTM man first I guess.

john zibell and GTM® like this.
  11. Norge_Shopper

Again, I appreciate the shared wisdom. :clap:

In the process of posting here, I found a member less than 4 hours away here in FL that is selling his 2012 that has been confirmed to have been retrofitted. We've communicated & I'm going to look at it next weekend.

Raven and john zibell like this.
  12. DeadEye

DeadEye GT Reference GT di Razza Pura

There ya go ! :party: