• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looking for testimonials on the V7 Racer, either mark II or III

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I’m interested primarily in how people find it for riding comfortableness. I’ve heard from a few folks here — Godfrey clearly loves his III and lucydad had a mixed experience. But I would be interested in hearing more from other folks who have ridden them. Last weekend I test rode a mark II and a mark III, and they were both fun to ride, but wondering about the riding position. I have never ridden a café racer except for a short period of time, so looking for some testimonials. It is hard to know from just a 15 minute test ride. I’m especially wondering how much the weight on your arms and wrists builds up.

Of course, I am also interested in any other feedback on the racers. It is interesting, for some reason I liked riding the Mark II better, even though I understand that in virtually every way the Mark III is improved. Even the engine and shifting felt better - maybe because I am used to a rough riding Royal Enfield.

Anyway, if you have an opinion on the racers, do tell. Got it make a decision pretty soon whether there is one in my future or not.

Hey Steve I have a V7II stone that I basically converted to a racer so it looks like a black racer with cast wheels.
I'm 61 years old at 5'6" and I can ride the bike for hours no worries.
I've owned 24 motorcycles over the years from 1k sports bikes to naked street fighters and stuff in between and bigger but I love ridding the v7 the most.
I've upgraded the front and rear suspension plus loud pipes with ecu flash ;)
The best fun on this bike is riding in the hills I like to stay in one gear taller instead of changing down to many gears so when I come out of a corner it has a low rumble and the pulse of the engine is awesome.
To me the V7III looks a little to modern that's why I would still go for a V7II but that's just me..

My bike is a first generation V7R ('13). Throwing this platform into the mix, out of the three versions, it probably has the most aggressive riding position due to having a higher seat and thus more of an inclined position to the clip-ons.

That said, the V7 clip-ons on the V7R are quite elevated relative to other clip-ons that do not incorporate a riser, so even on a first gen V7R the riding position is not super aggressive. I ride the entire day without any weight or pressure on my wrists and arms. BUT that's also a function of my riding style. If I'm lazy or bored I do sometimes find myself resting my weight on my wrists, and anytime that happens it will get tiring and unpleasant - quickly!

If, when you've ridden theV7R II or III you felt like you had weight and pressure on your arms and wrists, then you will almost guaranteedly end up uncomfortable in short order. My advice would be to go back and test ride both bikes and see if you can ride them keeping your weight back and off of your wrists. If you can do so comfortably - you're good to go. If you can't (if it doesn't feel natural or right) the racer trim is probably not a good choice for you - not if you plan to do longer rides.

On a side note - the stock racer seat is very comfortable on long rides. I ride with an aftermarket BAAK seat, which is a little narrower and a little lower, and it is not comfortable for extended rides. The stock seat is vastly better for longer saddle times.

Thanks! Nice to get this feedback. @Stradagene, curious which Baak seat you have. I have been emailing them a bit with questions about possible modifications to either the Racer or the Anniversario (the other bike I am considering). Really like their stuff...

Hay Major!
I don't own a V7R but like Godfry had an 850 T that I miss so much.
Click on my avatar & you will see it had drag bars so the riding position is much like today's racer.
I have a 2013 Griso with clip ons so again it has a riding position like a racer.

There are times when I'm on the Grizz that in 30 or 40 miles I get the tingle in the right hand.
This past weekend I put just under 300 miles on Grizz without any tingle at all.
I'm thinking about adding a tank bag & stuffing it with a pillow or towels so I can use it for support.

Point is the body changes, our moods change & this affects the ride. (I'm 65 & in good shape)

My suggestion is get the Anniversario or a regular V7III & buy a set of clip ons like Dan Moto's.
It will be easier to go from standard to racer than racer to standard if you find out you really don't like the racer ergo's.

For some reason I liked riding the Mark II better, even though I understand that in virtually every way the Mark III is improved.
I was waiting to post for others to chime in to see what was said. You didn’t mention your age or riding history. I have found that older/taller riders prefer the Racer’s taller seat and rear-set peg position (as do I). The Racer’s bars tend to be touch heavy on the wrists on longer treks.
If you don’t like the stock bars, actual handlebars can be put on easily as the top triple tree is pre-drilled. I like the LSL Speed Bars I have on this site. Same angle, just higher.
The II has a different triple tree set up (rake & trail), which means the bars are also closer to the rider. The III is a little more stretched out. The new motor is tremendously better, but the II is well refined.

For me, the V7ll Racer is one of the more comfy bikes I have ridden. The forward lean is just enough to be engaging without being tiring. I’m 6ft and have a 32 inseam.

The one thing I love is that my knees never ache on this bike. On my Street Triple and Speed Triple that I owned, my knees would be aching after 30mins and just plain unbearable after 1hr and I needed to stretch them out before continuing my journey. No such issues on my V7 ll Racer. Funny thing, It felt like on my Speed Triple I was putting more weight on my wrists.

I also owned a 2013 V7 Racer and I must say that felt like it had a little more lean to it which would create some discomfort in my neck.

Overall, I would say the V7ll Raver is a very comfortable bike. The only thing it lacks for a highway riding is that effortless acceleration that my triples had but as a city bike with odd jaunts on the highway, its bloody fantastic. Now if they would give it back to me. Its been in the shop for 3.5 weeks….My Triumphs never had that issue :(

I was waiting to post for others to chime in to see what was said. You didn’t mention your age or riding history. I have found that older/taller riders prefer the Racer’s taller seat and rear-set peg position (as do I). The Racer’s bars tend to be touch heavy on the wrists on longer treks.
If you don’t like the stock bars, actual handlebars can be put on easily as the top triple tree is pre-drilled. I like the LSL Speed Bars I have on this site. Same angle, just higher.
The II has a different triple tree set up (rake & trail), which means the bars are also closer to the rider. The III is a little more stretched out. The new motor is tremendously better, but the II is well refined.
I’d say come ride them both here (top banner link above), but that’s quite a trek for you... though I do have my Racer II 820-4V for sale now; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gt-rx®-v7r-820-quattrovalvole.17410/

Yes, I would love to come try them out -- but as you say, a bit far! Tried to check out your 820 for sale, but looks like I need to get to another level of membership... I'll see what that entails. After all, bikes can be shipped...:)

Appreciate this feedback.. Will also check out the bars you mention; might represent a good compromise.

Maj Steve,

I’m 63 now, started riding when I was 21. I put about a million miles on bikes before I had to stop riding in 2005, mostly all configured similarly to the V7III Racer. The LeMans V and my customized 850T riding position was so close to identical to the V7III Racer it’s uncanny.

I rode those prior bikes, particularly the Guzzis, cross the USA several times, put in up to 1100-1200 mile days a couple of times. Ah Youth! Nothing has ever been as comfortable to me as the LeMans V or my 850T ... until I got on the Racer. It is the same or a little bit better being lighter and easier to flick in on a windy road. The LeMans V took work sometimes due to the additional weight and longer wheelbase.

For your comparison, I am just shy of 6 foot tall, have moderately long arms and torso, and 29-30” inseam (my riding pants are usually 32”). I’m way overweight right now at 260+ but will be back at my fit weight of 220 pretty soon (call it a year... :) ). My legs are not the most flexible in the world, but Racer’s seat to foot peg is quite comfortable. For a long long ride, I’ve got one of the Gel Comfort Saddles on the way so I can also fit a bag on the back of the seat ... but I don’t think it’s going to change things by a heck of a lot.

I intend to travel again with Racer. Perhaps not the 1000 mile days of my youth, but most of the places I like to go for a ride are 1500 to 2000 miles away ... three to four days each way seems perfectly doable. When riding a bike like this, take care to exercise your core body strength and keep your weight off your arms... you want your arms loose and ready to act, your body and thighs support your back. Exercise and stretch just a little every morning, it all adds up. Even though I a fat old fool right now, I know how it works and love riding the bike so much it’s worth putting in the effort... :D

No matter where you go, go there on a Guzzi.

Thanks! Nice to get this feedback. @Stradagene, curious which Baak seat you have. I have been emailing them a bit with questions about possible modifications to either the Racer or the Anniversario (the other bike I am considering). Really like their stuff...
Off topic here, but I am working on offering 100% USA handmade custom seats on this site soon. I can't imagine I can't beat pricing and quality. Hard to believe so many people here send their money overseas when we have stellar parts here in the US. ;)

And some info on my 2016 Racer 820-4V...

The new V7 III Racer has arrived, and has been finalized with our GTM 820cc kit, so time for our V7 II 820-4V Racer to find a new home. ~60 rwhp, super low miles. As shown below. Asking $16,000. Comes with suspension upgrades (F15K fork kit & RT PB shocks), along with our v2.0 full stainless exhaust system to name just a few of the upgrades.

gt-rx-v7-820-4v-jpg.12765

The II has a different triple tree set up (rake & trail), which means the bars are also closer to the rider. The III is a little more stretched out.

@GT-Rx® Just curious, do you think the LSL Brooks bars you have would work on the Racer; or would that be too much pullback when combined with the rear foot controls..? And just to be clear, both the II and the III are set up for standard bars, is that right? Thanks!

Major Steve, I think you'd do yourself better by just riding one to break-in and seeing if it works for you. I've certainly made the mistake several times over of modifying things that I thought might not work before I gave my body time to adapt and become comfortable. In the end, I have frequently simply returned the bike to stock and found it worked better... :)

Major Steve, I think you'd do yourself better by just riding one to break-in and seeing if it works for you. I've certainly made the mistake several times over of modifying things that I thought might not work before I gave my body time to adapt and become comfortable. In the end, I have frequently simply returned the bike to stock and found it worked better... :)

Yes indeed, good advice. But just curious about what options there are, if and when the time comes...

BTW - The quoted link doesn't work
(I was testing it to copy/send it to a friend.)
You have to be a contributing member to view the Classifieds, so I posted the info above.

@GT-Rx® Just curious, do you think the LSL Brooks bars you have would work on the Racer; or would that be too much pullback when combined with the rear foot controls..? And just to be clear, both the II and the III are set up for standard bars, is that right? Thanks!
I don’t think they’ll look or work well on the Racer... just the Stone or standard versions.

Back