• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looking to buy V7 Racer but concerned...

Pem

Just got it firing!
Looking for constructive help please. I really like the Moto Guzzi brand, and in particular the V7 Racer. I went to view one in Toronto last weekend and I'm well impressed...what a great looking and well built bike. I'm seriously looking to buy, but I am concerned about the 50hp rating of the bike. I currently have a BMW R1100S that has 95hp, (but it weighs almost 500 pounds) and would need to sell this to finance the V7. I'm a mature rider in his 50's and I'm not a speed freak, but I don't want to jump to the Racer just for its looks then regret the drop in power.
I know this is a subjective thread, just looking to see if others have had the same thoughts and what the end result was? Looking forward to hearing from you....

I went from a Triumph Street Triple R (107hp, 140mph bike) to the V7 Racer. I have no regrets. The V7 has long legs and will cruise all day at 80mph+. Plenty of torque down low, too. While there are aspects of the Street Triple I miss (think it and you are there), I could never really relax on the bike. It was just too high strung. The V7, on the other hand, is a very comfortable bike to ride. I really like the clip-ons and the rear sets. They just seem natural. When I rode my Racer to the dealer to test ride a new Stone, the Stone didn't feel right because of the more upright position. There are a few mods that really help the bike. I think suspension should be first and Todd (our host on this site) is almost ready to offer some ECU upgrades as well (these bikes run real lean from the factory).

Do you have an opportunity to test ride one? I think that would seal the deal for you.

I have a 12 if you are interested that I may possibly sell. I am in Northern Ontario. I love the bike, handles well, gets a lot of looks and is a fun bike. The bike goes pretty well for 50hp you may miss the torque and power of the BMW when the speed goes past 100km/h

Much of your happiness owning a V7R will depend on matching your expectations of what the bike is realistically capable of performing as well as what type of riding you plan to do.

If you have not gone for a test ride, I really encourage you to go for a test ride on any of the V7's for a performance evaluation.

I advise against making the switch from your BMW to a V7 without having taken a test ride.

I have a 2011 R and prior had an '09 Classic. I think the V7R does everything extrememly well for what it is.

I love my V7. It is a fantastic small bike. But then, i also have a CalVin and a V11. I love all 3, each fully satisfies my expectation of how a motorcycle should ride, sound and feel. Right now, at this stage in my life of 61 years, with the different types of riding i still do, i can't imagine the R being my only ride. But, the R will likely be the Guzzi i part with last. The new V7's are sweet little bikes.

The V7 series does not compare to your BMW for horsepower, torque, sustained cruising speeds and passing ability.

Not trying to dampen your desire. Just saying there is a significant performance difference between your BMW and a V7.

I sold my 143 HP Ducati 848 to fund my V7R. Peak HP numbers are something as I get older I tend to disreguard. I like the seat of the pants dyno.

You can read all you want but you need to find a bike to test drive. That will tell you if the V7 series is a good fit.

Also there was a 2012 V7R forsale in the classifiesd in I believe Michigan for about $7,300 w/ low mileage. Maybe if you can find one inexpensive enough you can keep the R.

Another factor that no one (including me) has mentioned is the weight of the V7. It's a light bike (400 lbs.). That makes a big difference when you're looking at HP and torque numbers. It also makes the bike quite nimble. Once again, you need to ride one.

Im the owner of a V7 cafe, (exactly the same bike...ok, almost) and my advise is...the v7 is mostly a city bike or bar hopper...you will get a lot of attention and comments but its not really confortable, and really nack 20 hp to be enjoyable on the highway....my eldorado 73 is bay far more comfy and have enough power to go on the highway...the v7 will max out at 180kmh hugging the fuel tank without wind if you are light...normally it will max out around 165/170kmh....also, the seat is one of the worst I ever seen (both the solo gel and the 2 seater......(and I used to have a ktm adventure...known for their bad seats....) Im a long distance rider and the longest I did with the v7 is 700 km in one day and it was 300 too many.... other things I dont like are the plastic fenders....looks good but tottally out of place on a classic...some other cheap details like the glass on the spedometers and plastic chrome everywhere that scratch i you look at them....the chrome on the mufflers is like that too....

If It was to do again, I would get a v11 sport or any big block instead. Im probably not the only one who didnt like his v7, check the classifieds and look how many are for sale with under 1500km on them....

for what its worth...

kinkajou said:
Im the owner of a V7 cafe, (exactly the same bike...ok, almost) and my advise is...the v7 is mostly a city bike or bar hopper...you will get a lot of attention and comments but its not really confortable, and really nack 20 hp to be enjoyable on the highway....my eldorado 73 is bay far more comfy and have enough power to go on the highway...the v7 will max out at 180kmh hugging the fuel tank without wind if you are light...normally it will max out around 165/170kmh....also, the seat is one of the worst I ever seen (both the solo gel and the 2 seater......(and I used to have a ktm adventure...known for their bad seats....) Im a long distance rider and the longest I did with the v7 is 700 km in one day and it was 300 too many.... other things I dont like are the plastic fenders....looks good but tottally out of place on a classic...some other cheap details like the glass on the spedometers and plastic chrome everywhere that scratch i you look at them....the chrome on the mufflers is like that too....

If It was to do again, I would get a v11 sport or any big block instead. Im probably not the only one who didnt like his v7, check the classifieds and look how many are for sale with under 1500km on them....

for what its worth...

I sold off my big block Griso 1100 and kept my V7R.

Guess it all depends on taste and what you do with the bike...just didnt meet my needs....still a bood bike but just a few chep details and the comfort I didnt like... but for that price, they have to cut somewhere....

Tanks for your repsonses guys - very much appreciated! My main biking habits are a 2 or 3 hour run in the Ontario countryside a couple of times a week, plus the occasional 25 minute commute across the backroads to work. I deliberately don't ride the freeways (anyone in Ontario knows what a death trap Hghway 401 is, with or without a bike). Outright speed is academic to me; I've probably not had the BMW past 180kmh (112 mph - ish) more than a handful of times.
I've had some fun bikes recently, Buell, Victory, Honda VTR1000...that was a fast bike, with low bars, but I don't find them uncomfortable. I sold the Honda though because it was a Licence loser...so easy to go so quick - not for me. I love the torque grunt of the V twins though and thats why I had the above bikes.
My current R1100s is a very sweet bike, but I was a little shocked at a $700 BMW Dealer service bill for oil change and new plugs (plus an engine ECU reset)...and the snobbery I encountered at the Dealership was beyond belief! I normally do the basic stuff myself but also needed to have the throttle bodies balanced etc, and wanted to have at least the one Dealer service done as a starting point for longer term ownership. But the snobbery and cost put me off the BMW brand. Goodness knows what a real repair bill would feel like...second mortgage, no doubt!
The one theme that you guys gave me was to ride a V7 before I commit...so I will put the sale of the BMW on hold for a few weeks until I can test ride the V7. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again.

To the OP - sounds like your riding style might be a good match, but it's a very personal thing (especially the ergos) so sounds like you're on the right path - ride and decide.

To Kinkajou - wow really? ok, you obviously were not a right match. It's cool, sorry you were disappointed, but I'm shocked at many of your complaints. Guess it demonstrates how personal a thing it can be.

pokeyjoe said:
Another factor that no one (including me) has mentioned is the weight of the V7. It's a light bike (400 lbs.). That makes a big difference when you're looking at HP and torque numbers. It also makes the bike quite nimble. Once again, you need to ride one.

The weight certainly does help the power-to-weight ratio - BUT that doesn't make up all the difference.

I don't know if you remember the discussion on WG about this. Looking at hp/weight ratios at first glance to V7 looks pretty competitive - about equal to a WRX. BUT being such a small bike the hp/weight ratios can REALLY vary a lot with the rider. The biger the rider, the worse the ratio.

Still, even being a pretty big guy I've got no problems with it, actually it feels "just right".

This BMW snobbery exists over here too, but it's difficult for a lot of riders of other brands not to associate beemers with pipes and slippers or even cloth caps, me included and i used to have a R90s

jiltedjohn said:
This BMW snobbery exists over here too, but it's difficult for a lot of riders of other brands not to associate beemers with pipes and slippers or even cloth caps, me included and i used to have a R90s

LOL!! :laugh: Jilted, the cloth caps tells me you might be a Brit? I'm originally from West Yorkshire in England - you?

zx800 said:
I have a 12 if you are interested that I may possibly sell. I am in Northern Ontario. I love the bike, handles well, gets a lot of looks and is a fun bike. The bike goes pretty well for 50hp you may miss the torque and power of the BMW when the speed goes past 100km/h

ZX800, tried to send you a PM regarding your bike for sale. Can you PM me please? or use 905deerhound@gmail.com

Pem said:
Tanks for your repsonses guys - very much appreciated! My main biking habits are a 2 or 3 hour run in the Ontario countryside a couple of times a week, plus the occasional 25 minute commute across the backroads to work. I deliberately don't ride the freeways (anyone in Ontario knows what a death trap Hghway 401 is, with or without a bike). Outright speed is academic to me; I've probably not had the BMW past 180kmh (112 mph - ish) more than a handful of times.
I've had some fun bikes recently, Buell, Victory, Honda VTR1000...that was a fast bike, with low bars, but I don't find them uncomfortable. I sold the Honda though because it was a Licence loser...so easy to go so quick - not for me. I love the torque grunt of the V twins though and thats why I had the above bikes.
My current R1100s is a very sweet bike, but I was a little shocked at a $700 BMW Dealer service bill for oil change and new plugs (plus an engine ECU reset)...and the snobbery I encountered at the Dealership was beyond belief! I normally do the basic stuff myself but also needed to have the throttle bodies balanced etc, and wanted to have at least the one Dealer service done as a starting point for longer term ownership. But the snobbery and cost put me off the BMW brand. Goodness knows what a real repair bill would feel like...second mortgage, no doubt!
The one theme that you guys gave me was to ride a V7 before I commit...so I will put the sale of the BMW on hold for a few weeks until I can test ride the V7. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again.

Pem, like you outlined, I've switched from BMW to a Guzzi V7C. A large part of the decision was the lack of owner maintenance that can be done on a modern BMW. It's nothing like the old machines, which were designed to be worked on. Modern BMWs have great performance, like an aircraft, but like a plane you need to be a factory mechanic with an equipped shop.

The Guzzi 750 has an antique engine (almost), and it's a pleasure to own, to ride, and do your own work. Just like years ago. But....some people want that extra 20 hp of redline performance. If that's your goal, then this isn't your machine.

Since we're making BMW comparison/contrasts, the V7 is closest in size, tech, feel to what the airhead might have become if they'd gone to EFI.

Pem, I was in the same boat. But in my case my bike at the time was/is a Kawi Z1000. And prior to that I had two ZX-9R's with a Ducati 900SS in between. I also played at some club racing for 6 years with an old Honda 600 F2 in the late 90's. The Z1000 is sitting in the garage and hasn't been plated or riden since I got the MG

The Duc taught me that it's not just about peak HP figures. The Duc was down a good 40 to 45 HP from the 9R's. But I never felt underbiked since the power that the Duc DID make up to its peak was the same sort of power I got from a similar RPM range from the Kawis. And really I simply hardly ever used the top end of the Kawis since, as you say, they were a license loser if I were to have tried other than special conditions.

So I went into the V7C Cafe with a little trepidation about the 50 HP. It DID seem like a big drop. But I wanted something that I could twist like I meant it without busting the speeding laws too flagrantly. And the Duc had taught me that it isn't just about the peak HP numbers. And having test ridden a Triumph Thruxton I felt that there's room for a lower performance but not anemic bike that I could actually USE without attracting lots of police attention.

So I jumped. And I'm more than happy that I did. Turns out I had NOTHING to worry about. Yes the bike is slower off the line than my Z1000 by quite a bit. But it more than scoots away from any sort of car or truck traffic that isn't some sort of exotic. It also easily hits 160 kms and more. But without a fairing of any sort it's not that comfy at that sort of speed.... which is fine given todays speeding laws and penalties.

The V7C handles much like the old Duc 900SS. That is, it has laser like precision and feather light flickability at lower to moderate speeds. Yet it stiffens up a little to a nicely stable feel at around 100 kph and up.

But most of all despite not being the fastest thing or having peak power bragging rights it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. It handles like a dream and has enough power to satisfy even my liter bike soul of yesterday.

My only regret is that I ever traded that Duc for the Kawi. That Duc would sure be nice sitting in the garage alongside my Classic Cafe MG. On second thought I'd have a tough time deciding which to take out for a ride.... :D

BC Rider, that's a great post and makes me feel a whole lot better! When I consider the few times I've had the BMW up to full chat, it's really few and far between. And I usually only use the power band up to 5,000 or so. In reality, that might be close to 50 hp.
Guy came to look at the BMW yesterday and seems interested. The bike is like new, so really its down to one thing - will he pay my asking price (or close). We'll see. Once he commits I'll visit the MG dealer again and book a test ride...but it's still cold in Ontario (minus 12 tonight) so I'll wait while things heat up.
But good feedback and hearing your perspectives has helped. Many thanks.

I know how you are feeling. I currently have a triumph Tiger 800 and am wondering if I will be happy with the downsize. I did manage to get a brief test ride on a V7 yesterday and found the bike very nippy round town and surprisingly nimble handling. The gearbox definitely takes some getting used to though. I am sure this wouldnt be an issue if you had the bike for some time.

I did find the riding position a little cramped, I mentioned this to the dealer who let me sit on a bike with high bars. This was much better and solved that particular niggle.

My only real reservation is that I only ride a bike and therefore it is a primary mode of transport and has to get me to work in the middle on winter and in the rain. The Tiger with twin headlights, heated grips and ABS is superb in this respect.

I definitely want to have another test ride in better weather though. The V7 impressed me with what I was able to find out about it in such a short time.

I've had a V7R for a month now, and I'm very happy. I'm rapidly approaching 50, but I also have a bit of speed freak in my past - 13 years of road racing, including 6 years racing the IOM TT. I'm perfectly happy with the power the V7R delivers. I finally got a good run through some fast sweepers yesterday on the way to work and ended up with a big grin on my face. I seem to have a stupid grin every time I get off the thing.

I'll probably end up doing some fork mods, but just because I'm picky, not out of necessity. I'm 6' 2" and lanky so I was worried about the fit, but so far it's working out fine. I may eventually install taller clip-ons, but I want try some longer rides when the weather warms up before making a decision.

I love light, flickable bikes and the V7R fits the bill nicely. It just feels right, and I value that more than raw horsepower.

Back