• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Loop fork swap options and question

Choirboy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello! I've searched and not found what I'm looking for, but if I missed something feel free to send me a link to any pertinent threads.
I have a non-running loop project and a small stash of parts. I plan to convert the loop to front disks, and have in my stash the complete front ends off of an 850t3 and a jackal, complete with brakes, etc.
I've read on Greg Bender's site about swapping over the complete 850T3 assembly and the issues that involves, but have found no information about swapping over a newer Tonti front, specifically like my Jackal. Does anyone know off hand if this is possible, and if so, is it desirable?
My second question is, how does the tonti triple trees etc effect the handling when installed on a loop? Does it speed up/slow down the steering? Stay the same? Thanks for any help!

The T-3 would be an easier swap and the bearing are a match if I remember correctly. You just need to source a T or T-3 front wheel and get the correct size master depending on if you set up one disk or two, The 74 Eldorado's I've seen look like they use the Eldorado triple trees and upper covers if memory serves me correctly. Here is a parts break out for the 1974 with the disk brake. It doesn't show a different triple tree. http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-...75-850cc/front-fork-fender-brake-control.html

Going to a Jackal front end would be a whole different can of worms as you would need the Jackal triple trees and that uses different bearings, and the wheel spacing would be much different.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I figured the T3 swap would be easier from what I gathered in my previous research. Probably why I can't find any info on swapping in the newer forks. Has this just not been done?
I have the front ends complete with triple trees, wheels, brakes, the whole deal, so I've got all the parts. Actually I have the whole bikes, but I'm not in a position to work on all the bikes so I'm just trying to make a plan so I can sell off what I don't need.
I don't know the offset of the stock Ambassador triple trees vs the T3 trees vs the Jackal trees. Any ideas where I can find that information, and what that would do to the handling?

If you look at the steering head of the Loop, then the Jackal, you will see the large difference in the size. I don't see an easy way to fit a long late model Tonti triple tree onto the relatively short steering head of the loop frame.

If you look at the steering head of the Loop, then the Jackal, you will see the large difference in the size. I don't see an easy way to fit a long late model Tonti triple tree onto the relatively short steering head of the loop frame.
Ah, I see. Thank you so much for the info! They are packed in the corner of the garage and not easily accessible, so comparing them was not easy at the moment. I appreciate that a lot!

Does anyone know the offset of the loop triple trees vs the T3 triple trees? Are they the same? Where can I find that information? I'm just trying to figure out if I would quicken or slow up my steering. My research suggests that my late Ambassador probably has 70mm offset, and I found a thread on this site saying LMIIIs were 65mm offset; is it safe to assume the T3 is the same as the LMIII? 5mm difference in offset that direction should make a barely noticeable difference, increasing stability if I can feel it at all. Does that sound about right?

The measure you want to look for is trail. I believe the loop frames have less trail that the Tonti bikes which make them good for side cars. That short trail make some loop frame bikes a little unstable at speed, but that seem to be an individual bike characteristic as some of the same model and year would be stable, and some not. I think it would be wise to stay with the loop triple tree as the factory saw to reason to change even when producing the V7 Sport at the same time.

Back