• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lost keys

NOLAGuzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Yup, they are gone. There is a 1 to 1 correlation between my stuff going MIA and my wife's "cleaning" fits and as it happens the latest causalities are my keys. :angry: No I don't have a spare, I have a blank but I could not find a locksmith who could cut it so my breva is taking a unscheduled nap. I found that I can get a new lock set for a reasonable price so it is not that big of a deal. The ignition and the seat lock don't pose any real problems however, I can't figure how I will be able to get the gas tank open :? . I think I need to take the cap off to change the lock and I think that there is a bolt on the inside of the cap holding it to the gas tank. I suspect it would be fairly easy to break the tank so I don't want to just go for it without a game plan. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Just a suggestion...hope to be helpful

Can you find a locksmith that can open the ignition/seat/gas cap... any of those and then make you up a key? I once saw a lexus key and it looked similar to my Griso key although.. these Griso keys are chipped... I had a locksmith make me new keys for two bikes as I no longer owned the keys...
:twisted: ex wife :evil: cleaned a little differently...,but they were conventional keys. At the time it was about 100 bucks or so but that was six years ago now.

Might be worth asking around?

vivo

NOLAGuzzi said:
Yup, they are gone. There is a 1 to 1 correlation between my stuff going MIA and my wife's "cleaning" fits and as it happens the latest causalities are my keys. :angry: No I don't have a spare, I have a blank but I could not find a locksmith who could cut it so my breva is taking a unscheduled nap. I found that I can get a new lock set for a reasonable price so it is not that big of a deal. The ignition and the seat lock don't pose any real problems however, I can't figure how I will be able to get the gas tank open :? . I think I need to take the cap off to change the lock and I think that there is a bolt on the inside of the cap holding it to the gas tank. I suspect it would be fairly easy to break the tank so I don't want to just go for it without a game plan. Any ideas?
Thanks.

As I can see in the parts manual - but I've never tried to do it! - will the whole gas cap unit come out, if you loosen the 6 allen-bolts.
It may be easier to change the lock cylinder that way.

Loosing the keys are the real royal PITA. I've often been thinking of where to hide a spare on the bike.

That is what I thought too. But there are 7 bolts listed in the parts manual. I'm a few states away for the Thanksgiving gluttony ritual so I don't have any eyes on my breva at the moment. I was talking with one of the parts guys at a Guzzi dealer here in Ga and he said there is another bolt on the inside of the retaining ring that you can only get out with the cap open that seems to jive with the seven bolts listed in the parts manual. I'll pull the six accessible ones anyway when I get back and see what happens.

I was wondering about taking one of the cylinders to a locksmith to see if he could make a new key but since I could not even find one who could cut a new key with the old one as a template...my hopes are not high. At least these keys don't have any sort of microchip in them (that I know about).

On the bright side I had to go find a dealer here and they had a bunch of guzzis, even demos,it was nice to see that. ANyway I will get back to NOLA soon and either fix or destroy my gas tank cap. :eek: Either way I'll post the result.

Attachments

• gas cap blowup.png
    gas cap blowup.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 520
Another thought; demounting the whole fule pump unit for emptying the tank and allowing you to drill out the lock cylinder would probably prevent a rapid tank expansion...
Fill with water before drilling.

A new tank is MOLTO preciosa. I'd guess you'd have to pay something like $1000 + painting. Take care of what you got!

Persist with the locksmith. If the fuel cap is the same as the ignition, and you can get the ignition barrel off, a good locksmith will be able to make a key. Or, if you have the key number they can cut one from that.

Peter

I'll take the ignition barrel to a locksmith. Where does one find the key #?
Thanks.

NOLAGuzzi said:
I'll take the ignition barrel to a locksmith. Where does one find the key #?
Thanks.

The key number is on a tag supplied with the keys for the bike. But if you can't find any keys, I'd say you are SOL.

Hmmm... when I finally got back to my house...after the crazy devil woman :twisted: blew out on her broomstick... I called a locksmith to my house. I'm in New Jersey so I can't assume the situation is the same where you are... but he came out, made up new keys for my front door and bike(s) at the same time. I didn't even need to remove the cylinder, he did it all in-place!

Call around....maybe you can save yourself the effort of removal of the ignition. It can't cost all that much... it's what these guys do for a living

vivo

NOLAGuzzi said:
Dare I venture a glimmer of hope? :eek:
Is the key code six digits?

Possible, my 1100 Breva is 5, and the BMW key codes are alpha numeric, up to 8 or 9 positions for them depending on the year.

NOLAGuzzi said:
Dare I venture a glimmer of hope? :eek:
Is the key code six digits?

Mine's a four digit. No letters, "ZADI" label.

ALlright,
I now have a new set of keys. If you find yourself in this situation don't let the locksmith try to "mark" a keyblank to make a new one. That process consists of a pair of vise grips, a key blank and enough torque to bend the metal and plastic around the ignition keyhole. After this failed to produce a viable key, but did mangle the ignition, my locksmith opted to pick the gas cap and pull the cylinder out. This should have been the first option. Although this approach was not quite, but really close, to the cost of a new lock set from guzzi, it did save me the headache of trying to get around the locked gas cap and I have my bike back. I ended up pulling the ignition cylinder off and tried to bend the mangled metal back into shape and was mostly sucessful, now I need to tap the lock with the key to get the little red plastic keyhole cover to pop into place. I'll just consider that as more character and not worry about it.

FIND YOUR SPARE KEYS

NOLAGuzzi said:
FIND YOUR SPARE KEYS

Aah, well, I've got only one, but I know where it is. :mrgreen:
Happy you solved the problem!

Ahh a necro-thread. Back from the dead.
So I had a new set of keys made by a "locksmith" who bunged up my gas cap and ignition pretty well. Last week the gas cap retained the key and it broke off inside the lock. Wonderful. :cry:

I ordered a new lock set and installed all three, seat, ignition and gas cap. but the new gas cap is off center when it closes. :pinch: As best as I can tell the cap is not adjustable. My old gas cap worked just fine and if possible I want to swap out the locks from the new to the old. I have taken the old one apart and cannot figure out how to get the lock cylinder out of the cap. Is the 3/4 key stuck in there not going to allow removal of the cylinder? I've tried searching about removing ZADI lock cylinders but so far no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Holt said:
Maybe the locksmith... :roll: :whistle:
No chance. He was too expensive and ham handed. Besides I can break stuff for free :D .

I figured it out. There is a retaining pin on the end of the cylinder that needs to be pushed in then it slides right out. I'll change them over today.

Back