RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Lots of Oil in the air filter box California 1400

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by shane160657, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Glenn Thorpe

Glenn Thorpe Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm getting ready to do the 1st oil change on my Eldorado 1400 and am glad I found this thread. I'll be very careful not to overfill.

This is not unique to Moto Guzzi. I had a BMW F650 (Rotax engine) and overfilled it just a hair above the full mark on the dipstick. It ended up soaking the new K&N filter with oil I had recently installed. It did have a "do not overfill" warning molded on the oil cap, I guess they really meant it :)

2. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed

Sorry to drag up an old thread...but I just want to say THANKS! reading this probably saved me some trouble on this road trip. I had the dealer do the last few oil changes, but doing it myself this time as I'm heading on a multiweek trip in a few days.

I totally would have filled it right up near the max line if I hadn't read this.

But instead I drained and filled with 3Liters. Oil level is about 1/4 - 3/8 above the min line.

Cheers Joe

3. Johnap

Johnap Tuned and Synch'ed

I have been told multiples MG sources that small amounts of condensation and oil out the bottom airbox drain is normal. I get about 1.25 inches in the drain about every 300km. This drains out to make only a few drops. The I'D of the clear tub is small so it looks like a lot but is not.

In a case where the airbox is full of oil, there must be considerable oil dumping out.

How much is too much.

4. just James

just James Tuned and Synch'ed

Had not checked my oil level for a while (no smoke, and no leaks, so no worries, right?). Checked it yesterday, and it was WAAAAAY too low. Didn't have time to check out the airbox, so I just added oil up to the lower line on the stick. Will check out the airbox this weekend.
    Has there been any fix found for this issue?

5. just James

Sure enough, I pulled the plug out of the drain tube this morning and a bunch of oil came out. Didn't have time to completely drain it, but I will after work today. Will open the airbox this weekend, and see how much is on the air filter.

6. anmagu

anmagu Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Dealer told me to never fill in oil more than half between min. And max. On the dipstick.

Also: did ur dealer use the correct 10w-60 oil?
    Wrong oil can foam up when hot and then make its way to the airbox.

7. just James

No, I have no way of knowing for sure that the mechanic put the proper weight oil in it, as I did not watch him add the oil.

8. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

See if they have it on the shelf. Many dealers use "what we have"!

anmagu likes this.
  9. just James

I was on a trip, 1,300 miles from home when I had it changed. The MG dealer was too busy to do it, so they recommended a shop that they deal with on a regular basis. The shop said that they used the 10w60, but who really knows.

10. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

In my experience, searching around Vancouver, I couldn't find a single motorcycle shop that stocked 10w60 unless they were a franchised dealer and their bikes used the stuff. Yes it's possible to buy it in and I guess they could have got it from the MG dealer you mention, but it's a lot easier to use what's on the shelf, especially in the middle of "nowhere ville". My buddy (who rides a Harley) found himself low on Oil on a day ride to Whistler last year and just bought some from a Gas Station and put that in. When I asked if it was the right stuff he said "any oil is better than no oil" and this was the bikes owner!!

11. just James

Well, he had a point. The main reason I had the oil changed mid trip is that I had to add a little wrong weight oil (20w50). Yes, any oil is better than chancing it getting below the sump. I didn't go very far with a half quart of 20w50 mixed in, and I wanted to get it out of there as soon as possible.

12. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Guzzi lore says to check oil level with the dip stick unscrewed and to fill to about mid way between full and low. When I do this that just about puts it at the full level on the dipstick when screwed in, just maybe that is the correct way to do it.

13. just James

Finally got the time to change the oil and filter, tranny juice, and air filter yesterday. There was no oil on the air filter, but a tiny bit in the bottom of the airbox. Engine and transmission oil changes were pretty easy, and will probably be quite a bit quicker the next time I do it.
    Next on the agenda is adjusting the valves.