• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Low Fuel Level Indicator Adjustment

pokeyjoe

High Miler
This is a 2012 V7R with the larger metal tank (like the 2013s).

I removed my fuel pump and lowered the level of the thermister in my tank.

This is the bottom of the tank with the fuel pump now up on the side instead of on the bottom like the previous plastic tanks:

pump1t.jpg

This is the pump, as removed from the tank:

pump2o.jpg

Without the strap. The thermister is mounted on the metal rod.

pump3w.jpg

All I did was lower the thermister by moving down one hole in the rod.

pump4y.jpg

The rod does not touch the screen and by inserting the unused screw, the thermister is pretty much wedged in there. It's not going anywhere.

The net result is that the thermister now sits one inch lower in the tank. When my light comes on, it now takes 4 gallons to fill the tank instead of 3.5. I'd like it to be a little lower, but I'll have to figure out how to do that.

I couldn't get all the gas out of the tank when I drained it, but I think I got most of it. I replaced it one quart at a time to try to learn something. Unfortunately, the fuel light takes awhile to go out, so I could not figure out how much fuel was in the tank when it went out. I had to drive it awhile before the light went out (just like topping off the tank normally). What I did learn is that I had to add half a gallon before I couldn't hear the fuel pump sucking air anymore. So there is at least half a gallon of unusable fuel in the tank.

Updates if, and when they occur.

John, while you're at it, and based on those pictures (thanks BTW!), replace that fuel filter with an all-metal one ASAP. It's discolored and bloated plastic is a warning for pending failure. You'll find a handful of pics of those that have failed already on this forum, or next I see you, I can show you one in person.

GT-Rx said:
John, while you're at it, and based on those pictures (thanks BTW!), replace that fuel filter with an all-metal one ASAP. It's discolored and bloated plastic is a warning for pending failure. You'll find a handful of pics of those that have failed already on this forum, or next I see you, I can show you one in person.

Ah, crap. I guess its that California-legislated-ethanol-fuel at work. I figured out how to get the thermister just a little lower while I was mowing the lawn. I'll spin it around and using the same hole in the rod, mount it in the other mounting hole on the pump. Gonna hafta wait 'til I burn off some fuel, though.

Edit: Thanks, btw. Avoiding future problems is always a plus.

Here is a list of all-metal filters from Joe's MG_750 site:

Interchange with:
AC GF61*
BMW - 16 14 2 325 859
Fleetguard FF149
Fram G2*
Mahle KL145
Motocraft FG-2
Napa Gold 3032
Purolator - F20011*
Triumph - T1240850
Wix 33032

*Edit - these three filters appear to be plastic. It looks like the Mann MWK 44 may be added to the list as well (metal).

I ordered the Mahle from Amazon for $20.

pokeyjoe said:
Here is a list of all-metal filters from Joe's MG_750 site:

Interchange with:
AC GF61
BMW - 16 14 2 325 859
Fleetguard FF149
Fram G2
Mahle KL145
Motocraft FG-2
Napa Gold 3032
Purolator - F20011
Triumph - T1240850
Wix 33032

I ordered the Mahle from Amazon for $20.

Pokey,
The list are direct replacements. I don't know if they are all-metal.
The Mahle is reportedly a good choice, and all metal.
Joe

Thanks, Joe. I used Google Images to look them all up and it looks like the AC, FRAM, and Purolator filters are plastic. The BMW filter is supplied by either Mahle or Mann. Both are metal. You can add the Mann MWK 44 to your list.

pokeyjoe said:
Thanks, Joe. I used Google Images to look them all up and it looks like the AC, FRAM, and Purolator filters are plastic. The BMW filter is supplied by either Mahle or Mann. Both are metal. You can add the Mann MWK 44 to your list.

I added Mann to the list, and also added your info re all-metal and plastic.

Thanks, as there is no point in buying a plastic filter, what with the issues people have had.

I went back in there and lowered the thermistor some more.

pump5.jpg

I have no idea if it would've worked or not. I managed to put a dent in the thermistor when I re-installed the pump. Now it doesn't work. New ones are $68.

Hey, look at that new fuel filter. Here's the bulging old one:

fuelfilterl.jpg

The stock one is a Mahle as well. KL 150. I replaced it with the KL 145.

A quick question: Any one have a source for hose clamps small enough for those fuel lines?

Thanks, John. I hate those things, but I do have the tool to crimp them. Well, it works on the bigger ones.

I was hoping for a different kind of clamp like maybe those nylon ones. In the meantime, I ordered the ones off eBay.

GT-Rx said:
John, while you're at it, and based on those pictures (thanks BTW!), replace that fuel filter with an all-metal one ASAP.
Yikes! Is this also an issue for an '09 Griso?

Goodvibes said:
GT-Rx said:
John, while you're at it, and based on those pictures (thanks BTW!), replace that fuel filter with an all-metal one ASAP.
Yikes! Is this also an issue for an '09 Griso?

Sadly YES.

As it was for my 2006 Breva 1100.

Sadly, it seems that Piaggio hasn't bothered to fix this one and pretty much all in-tank pumps from the early CARC bikes on may suffer a failure if the half-plastic filter softens/swells/separates from the metal housing.

That said, I DID run my Breva 1100 with that stock filter for about 3-4 years and I forget, maybe 10-15k miles with that filter - it was soft and swollen when I replaced it.

I'll probably dig into the new Stone in a year or two to replace the filter (and move the fuel sensor).

The list posted by Pokejoe matches the list of filter substitutes for the BMW K75/K100/K1100 motorcycles. The following filters can be added to that list:

Autozone ff424
AC GF61
Deutsch model FF424
Deutsch "FF424"
Fram G3802 (Ford Mustang 4.6L V6)

The filters above are recommended for the K-bikes by other owners but their specs should be checked before installing in your Guzzi to ensure that they will meet all manufacturer's requirements. The NAPA 3032 is an excellent filter and represents excellent value from my personal experience, having replaced the fuel filters on both my K-bikes many times.

rbm said:
The list posted by Pokejoe matches the list of filter substitutes for the BMW K75/K100/K1100 motorcycles. The following filters can be added to that list:

Autozone ff424
AC GF61
Deutsch model FF424
Deutsch "FF424"
Fram G3802 (Ford Mustang 4.6L V6)

The filters above are recommended for the K-bikes by other owners but their specs should be checked before installing in your Guzzi to ensure that they will meet all manufacturer's requirements. The NAPA 3032 is an excellent filter and represents excellent value from my personal experience, having replaced the fuel filters on both my K-bikes many times.

Robert, thanks for that info. Pokeyjoe's list came from the Yahoo group on Guzzi 750's, which has a database of alternative parts: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MG_750/

I added your info to the list of replacement fuel filters.
Joe

Today I had to fuel up for the first time as the fuel light came on. But when it was filled, I only put in 13.5L and its a 22L tank according to MG.

So the fuel light comes just as you pass 1/2 tank?? I'm assuming this is why people's are adjusting theirs? I thought it was only an issue for the '12 and under but I guess not.

Also this may be a dumb question but I'm going to go for it.... When MG says its a 22L tank with 4L reserve, does that mean the bike is holding 26L?

Sorry for the metric... :p

Matt

Instg8r said:
Today I had to fuel up for the first time as the fuel light came on. But when it was filled, I only put in 13.5L and its a 22L tank according to MG.

So the fuel light comes just as you pass 1/2 tank?? I'm assuming this is why people's are adjusting theirs? I thought it was only an issue for the '12 and under but I guess not.

Also this may be a dumb question but I'm going to go for it.... When MG says its a 22L tank with 4L reserve, does that mean the bike is holding 26L?

Sorry for the metric... :p

Matt

Nope, this is ONLY a issue on the 12 and LATER as they are the only ones with the new big tanks.

I'll probably perform this sensor level adjustment when I replace the fuel filter, in about a year or so.

Until then I'm learning that when my low fuel light comes on I've got AT LEAST 50-60 miles before I have to start even THINKING about getting fuel.

I'll have to plan that for the future as well, I really don't want to have to stare at a stupid light for a 1/3 or more of tank.

I'm gonna call this project done for now. I did look at moving the sensor even lower in the tank, but I damaged it and had to buy a new one. I also looked at relocating the filter outside the tank, but there just isn't room. Here is the final configuration of the mod that adds half a gallon before the light comes on (I now add 4 gallons when the light comes on instead of 3.5):

sensormed.jpg

At some point, I may just cut the rod off the sensor, drill a hole in the flange that's left on the sensor, and mount it to the pump.

Back