• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lowering Stelvio

scstelvio

Just got it firing!
Hi Folks,
Has anyone (vertically challenged types especially) considered ways to lower the Stelvio's overall height without "major" compromise? The first option that comes to my mind is a shorter rear shock coupled with a commensurate raising of the front forks. I am only looking for an inch or two at most. My 30" inseam coupled with a Bill Mayer saddle has me on tip-toes.
Thanks,
Steve Murdock

Hi Steve, yes it's been done. Shorter rear shock and push the forks up in the triples. The shock used was off of a stock Griso (and I have one available if you're interested with very low miles) --OR-- I can have one built to your specs & riding style.

Other questions?

Hi todd,

Other questions?, Yes:
1. Is the stock Griso shoch essentially the same as Stelvio, only shorter? Same spring, damping and remote preload etc?
2. Approximately how much does it lower the overall height?
3. Do you know how much the forks were raised?
4. Was ground clearance (center stand etc.) significantly compromised?
5. Could you put me in touch with the person who made this swap?
6.What do you want for the Griso shock?

Thanks!!!

I have the same questions as where this thread stops. I sold my Norge and bought a BMW R1200GS with low suspension and seat. I find I have no attachment to this bike but I love the way I can ride dirt and gravel roads on it. So I am thinking of parting with the BMW and buying a Stelvio but the seat height and my 28" inseam do not agree.

Rudy

One thing to remember when lowering the bike via front forks and rear shock is that centerstand might keep the bike too much upright. I have learned this hard way some time ago when I lowered my brand new KLR650 and it tipped over to right side on a bit uneven ground. You can grind off the side stand stop tab, which will move the side stand leg forward and lean more the bike. I have done this on my new 2012 Stelvio, because I felt the side stand keeps the bike too upright.

Sorry, somehow missed this for 2.5 yrs.

scstelvio said:
Other questions?, Yes:
1. Is the stock Griso shoch essentially the same as Stelvio, only shorter? Same spring, damping and remote preload etc?
2. Approximately how much does it lower the overall height?
3. Do you know how much the forks were raised?
4. Was ground clearance (center stand etc.) significantly compromised?
  • 1. The Griso shock is completely different in every aspect, spring rate, damping, etc.
    2. Approx. 1" lower at the saddle.
    3. ~.75"
    4. Depending on how you ride, but yes.

abbienormal said:
I have the same questions as where this thread stops. I sold my Norge and bought a BMW R1200GS with low suspension and seat. I find I have no attachment to this bike but I love the way I can ride dirt and gravel roads on it. So I am thinking of parting with the BMW and buying a Stelvio but the seat height and my 28" inseam do not agree.
Rudy, per above I can get you 1" lower with above mods, but I would seriously look into modifying the seat. It's super thick, and weighs a half-ton. I suspect an easy total of 2" lower at the saddle would be easily achievable.

Feel free to contact me direct e-mail with any other questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

30" inseam. It was just a wee bit tall for me. My cheap fix for the moment was to turn my riding boots into disco boots (Elton John would be proud.) $100. But I am keeping in mind that my brand new Stelvio is just that, brand new. like my F800GS was, it is now stiff and tall. When it loosens up it will settle down a bit and with the addition of full panniers, camping gear and you name it, it will come down even more.
Also, I lowered my F8 by an inch and a quarter by cutting a piece off the rear spring after I found a DIY with pics on ADVRider.(Riverguy9) It was actually quite simple and required removing the shock which wasn't that complicated a job, compressing and releasing the spring (my friendly Midas dealer helped me here), cutting off an already calculated amount (using my minigrinder and a very thin steel cutting blade walked thru oit before any amount of heat could be generated) Grinding the end flat again so it rested properly (again, done in quick steps so no real heat was generated), Painting and reassembly.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 735
  • My Offending Piece.JPG
    My Offending Piece.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 727
Platform boots are always an option, and you get taller too. :silly:

On all but '12 Stelvio, the rear spring and valving a horribly inadequate. I recommend shock replacement unless you are under 170 lbs. in your riding gear.

Something to remember when lowering bikes is to shorten the side and center stands. I do this by placing alignment marks, cutting, and using a smaller piece of pipe or rod inside the stand to reinforce as part of welding them back together. If you don't shorten them, the bike usually doesn't lean enough on the side stand to be stable, and it would take three people to lift the bike onto the center stand.

john zibell said:
Something to remember when lowering bikes is to shorten the side and center stands. I do this by placing alignment marks, cutting, and using a smaller piece of pipe or rod inside the stand to reinforce as part of welding them back together. If you don't shorten them, the bike usually doesn't lean enough on the side stand to be stable, and it would take three people to lift the bike onto the center stand.

Those are good points! The Stelvio sidestand is already in a very "upright" position. I have to be careful where I park. Likewise the Stelvio is a pig to put on the centerstand. These problems would only get worse with a lowered suspension.

Toadride said:
30" inseam. It was just a wee bit tall for me. My cheap fix for the moment was to turn my riding boots into disco boots (Elton John would be proud.) $100. But I am keeping in mind that my brand new Stelvio is just that, brand new. like my F800GS was, it is now stiff and tall. When it loosens up it will settle down a bit and with the addition of full panniers, camping gear and you name it, it will come down even more.
Also, I lowered my F8 by an inch and a quarter by cutting a piece off the rear spring after I found a DIY with pics on ADVRider.(Riverguy9) It was actually quite simple and required removing the shock which wasn't that complicated a job, compressing and releasing the spring (my friendly Midas dealer helped me here), cutting off an already calculated amount (using my minigrinder and a very thin steel cutting blade walked thru oit before any amount of heat could be generated) Grinding the end flat again so it rested properly (again, done in quick steps so no real heat was generated), Painting and reassembly.

I have similar problems. I have shaved down the foam on the seat, and put thicker insoles in my boots.I am going to resole my riding boots too!

Roofus, the last thing I would want to do is shave down the luxury of that seat. I've just come from several years of suffering thru skinny seats and the last thing I would want to do is go anywhere near back to that situation. Gotta say I am lovin the NTX seat. :D

Toadride said:
Roofus, the last thing I would want to do is shave down the luxury of that seat. I've just come from several years of suffering thru skinny seats and the last thing I would want to do is go anywhere near back to that situation. Gotta say I am lovin the NTX seat. :D

Too late!!!!!

I carry my own upholstery! ;)

Hi. I find myself interested in a 2013 Stelvio which is currently available. I'm one of those 28" inseam people (+3" heels on riding boots), and this thread makes it looks like there are some options to make this rideable for me... I'll look at it in the next couple of days and decide if I'm in love or not.

Hi Steve, yes it's been done. Shorter rear shock and push the forks up in the triples. The shock used was off of a stock Griso (and I have one available if you're interested with very low miles) --OR-- I can have one built to your specs & riding style.

Other questions?

Hi. I find myself interested in a 2013 Stelvio which is currently available. I'm one of those 28" inseam people (+3" heels on riding boots), and this thread makes it looks like there are some options to make this rideable for me... I'll look at it in the next couple of days and decide if I'm in love or not.
I have one shorter shock in stock ready to ship. I'll give you a great deal on it.

I lowered my 2009 Stelvio an inch when I installed my Russell DayLong seat so I could still reach the ground.

Steps and notes:

1) Bought the shorter Penske rear shock from Todd, as well as some heavier front springs and longer spacers. Note that some handwork is required (or was on mine) since the lower rear shock yoke is not threaded as is the stock one, so you either have to drill and tap it, OR grind down a nut for a through-bolt. In front, you need to find and cut a couple of Schedule 60 (not 40) PVC spacers, which are not always easy to find. I chucked the Schedule 40 PVC in a lathe and turned it down when I couldn't find 60.

2) Slid the front forks 1" up in the clamps.

3) The sidestand still works fine, plenty of "slant" still to the bike. For the centerstand, it needs to be cut down 1" and reinforced. I'm lazy and haven't done it yet - I carry a couple of 8" pieces of 1" x 6" in the bottom of the pannier. If I have to put the bike on the centerstand to change a tire or something, I roll the back wheel up on the wooden bits, then it's easy to put on the stand, otherwise about impossible.

Bike handles great and much easier to get on/off. I'd do it again.

Lannis

Back