• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Maintainance costs caught up with me

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Had my gearbox oil seal replace 36k (maybe I overfilled it) and a 2 new clutch plates on my breva. Cost

Nel,

Did the oil contaminate the clutch plates? The time seems a little long. The book time for a tonti for that would be around 6 hours. Is there that much extra stuff to get out of the way?

I thought it was the crankseal because the oil leaking from the bell housing was black. Turns out it was gearoil gathering in the bell housing picking up clutch dust. Cause breva norge etc. is engine out to do anything it seemed sensible to change the clutch.
Ideally the Breva maintenance manual would be more deatailed then maybe these jobs could go to non-guzzi garages. Trying to get someone to work on a guzzi in August is difficult. I'm definately going to find a non guzzi aka less than

zebee

Good advice in most cases I reckon.

There are many competent mechanics about but all tend to be inhibited by the need to be time and therefore cost-conscious. As an amateur home-mechanic that pressure doesn't apply, which is perhaps the greatest incentive to be as self-sufficient as possible. It can take me all afternoon to do the work a mechanic might do in an hour and that allows me to asume nothing and check everything - more than once usually.

A thousand years ago I decided to buy my own "spanner and a book", and learn to do my own maintenance. Never regretted it. The only task I don't tackle now is removing and fitting tubeless tyres, but my 73 year old riding mate even does that himslf! Once I completely dismantled and rebuilt one of the first Honda CB750 power units - what a lot of O-rings!

One of the enjoyable aspects of motorcycling to many like me is bike maintenance. Good for the soul, the bike, self reliance, and the bank balance. Guzzis are one of the few modern bikes that lend themselves to home maintenance, helped by the availability of VDSTS.

If maintenance is really to be avoided the 2010 Buell XB range should be a winner - hydraulic tappets, self-tuning FI, no-maintenance belt final-drive, no chrome to polish. Hmmm.

GrahamNZ wrote:
If maintenance is really to be avoided the 2010 Buell XB range should be a winner - hydraulic tappets, self-tuning FI, no-maintenance belt final-drive, no chrome to polish. Hmmm.
If you like your undersides hot, no doubt :D

Zapa
The Buell XB heat issue has been addressed too on the new models, but this thread was about maintenance. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the new Guzzis can have heat problems too! :laugh:

For sure though, my Guzzi is cooler in summer and my Buell is warmer in winter, but then they're now both getting to be old bikes. Time for something new.

Back