• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mandello Meteor Land Speed Bonneville 08

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Team Subtle Crowbar at the 'World of Speed'
Bonneville, Utah -- Sept 17-20, 2008

BRLSR08-12.jpg

Hi everyone, following is a recap from our first trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats... and what a fantastic adventure it was!

A little background on our program: Back in June, we took our very first record SCTA at El Mirage Dry Lake Bed with a 4th gear pull of 161 mph. We were encouraged that we had a good chance of running strong and being a contender at higher elevation Bonneville this fall.

Several weeks prior, on August 22nd we had a terrible setback. The Meteor`s engine blew up on the dyno, ruining the cam, 3 lifters, a piston, cylinder, oil pump and both exhaust valves. I wasn't pleased with the dyno operators lack of attention that day, that's all I'm going to say about that. We had only a few weeks to get her apart and back together which meant a mad scramble for custom parts we didn't have. Major Kudos go to machinist friend Phil Wyatt who repaired the heads and machined the new special ford mushroom tappets in very short time. Web Cam repaired the camshaft and had it back in about 10 days. Greg Field came to our rescue, donating a 'like new' hi volume Jackal oil pump. Buddy Eric Hjeltness and my wife Mani helped me get the motor out and back in. The motor was fired off about a week before this race and we arrived at Bonneville with barely a half hour of cam bed in time on a very fresh motor.

A little about the meteor for you gearheads out there: The frame is lightly modified and from a Le Mans IV (Thanks Peter McGrath) and uses the stock suspension from that model as well. We run a longer Jackal swingarm (Thanks Mike Stewart) coupled to a Convert rear drive, (Thanks Tom Short and BJ) and driven by the stock SE close ratio gearbox. The motor uses the Mark IV case and houses a stock Jackal crankshaft (Thanks MPH), coupled with stock Mark IV 88mm barrels custom CP pistons and PPPC titanium piston pins. Heads are reworked Mark IV by Maestro Machinist Phil Wyatt with custom valves, special springs, dual plugs and very mild porting. Cam is a one off custom from Web Camshaft and lifters are modified ford mushrooms in bushed lifter bores, also machine by Phil, and driven by alloy gears (Thanks John Althaus). The ignition is fully advanced, crank fired and uses a Dyna pickup from a Honda GL1000. Carrillo rods, custom crower steel pushrods, a full balance job and a Jackal oil pump round out the bottom end. Flywheel and clutch are stock 8 spring Mark IV, though I'd like to go to the 10 spring unit found on the Daytona and later 1100i if and when those parts become available. Carbs are HSR Mikuni adapted to the stock manifold. Bodywork is called the "Charlie Toy" and is produced from one of our major sponsors; Airtech Streamlining. We modified it quite a bit to fit me and the Mark IV. I wont go into dyno numbers, it`s been really inconsistent and we are still developing the engine and experimenting with the exhaust.

My wife Mani and I arrived Tuesday early afternoon and took the Meteor through Tech Inspection and then set up our area in the pits. That evening we met up with the rest of the crew back at the Best Western in Wendover.
The International crew consisted of some of the greatest folks I've ever had the privilege of hanging with: Long time friend Fred Ghyselincks our Crew Chief from Victoria, Canada drove in with his best friend, Dan Vallee also from Victoria, and also a very capable wrench.
Riding in from San Antonio was "Texas Tony" Statz on a EV and with him was Ray Bland from Chama, New Mexico on his beautiful Eldorado. Tony and Ray are two of the friendliest Guzzisti you will ever meet.
From Lake Havasu arrived the other retirees, my own Uncle Bob Ross and his long time friend, Bill Ensley. These guys were anything but retired as they all worked very hard and were extremely helpful through out the week. Mani was the chase truck driver amongst many things and worked her buns off all week long. This was her first trip to Bonneville and she really enjoyed the experience as well.

Wednesday morning we went over the bike and objectives and then proceeded to get in the long line. After about 4 hours we made it to the starting line by mid afternoon and proceeded with a 'tuning run' of 166.62 mph. The course was smooth, dry and excellent. No weird handling or tire spin issues,The bike felt in top form.
Returning to the pits, we consulted Rick Gold with ERC Race Fuels. On his recommendation we leaned the carbs out by dropping the main jet a half size. Too late to run again so we called it a day and would return very early the next morning.

The crew horsing around in the staging lanes:
BRLSR08-1.jpg

Thursday Morning: We watched a spectacular sunrise over the eastern Utah mountains from the salt flats, it was quite surreal. By mid morning we made our first pass of the day and ran a 169.09 averaged over the 2nd to 3rd mile. Good improvement, back to the pits for a plug check and leaned her out another half step. At this point we also swapped to the spare `RED` wheel that has a smaller 120/70 front tire mounted backwards and got back in line. With little to no tire spin and the convert rear drive, the bike was really over geared. That afternoon we then ran a 170.85 and qualified for the MPS-1000-PG record we were after which stood at 169.20. Just minutes before we reached the starting line, we had a surprise visit from two more Guzzisti: "SoCal Don" Garcia and Larry "Lupo" Andrade had just ridden in. What a great moment that was and we really wanted to put a show on for them after their long ride.
Well, the bike was a quite a bit squirrely with that smaller tire combo and the crew reported a large rooster-tail of salt all the way down the track. It was a ride I'll never forget, I believe it`s referred to locally as the "Bonneville Waltz." After arriving in impound we had 4 hours to make any adjustments we wanted to. After swapping the original rear tire and white wheel back, the Tech Inspector Tom Evans came by for a visit. A very vague, subjective rule change , new for 2008, suggested that our rear seat bodywork had some fiberglass in an unacceptable location (behind my knee and below the thigh). Either we needed to cut the body and remove this area or we needed to change classes from Modified Partial Streamlining to Altered Partial Streamlining. How this rule would affect our streamlining was beyond me?
After a lot of team discussion that evening we decided to change to the APS-1000-PG class and then start over by re-qualifying. The USFRA staff was really cool with us in doing this. We would work on the rule stuff later, we came to race.

Fred and Ray swapping out the Le Mans rear wheel. The white wheel has a shaved V-rated tire good for 150 to 200 mph.
BRLSR08-2.jpg

Friday Morning: Our next run would be our best yet, 171.24 average mph and qualified us for the APS-1000-PG record of 161.050. Our exit speed was pretty close to 173 mph to have a 171.24 average, damn this is a good running 973 cc two-valver!
Spirits were high, we were elated to run over 10 mph faster on the existing record and headed back to impound. There we checked plugs, fluids,tires, nuts and bolts, everything looking good, we buttoned her up for next mornings backup run and took the afternoon off to cruise the pits etc.

At the starting line with Fred, Uncle Bob and "Ray Poppins."
BRLSR08-3.jpg

Saturday Morning : Last day of the USFRA World of Speed. We had discussed earlier in the week the possibility of reclassifying the meteor, and running the bike in the Altered class for a potential 2nd record. This would entail removing the front fairing and belly pan, 're-teching' the bike, forms, fees etc. It was still a feasible thing to do if we backed our APS-PG run up and then had the motor sealed.

Lined up on the starting line Saturday morning, just before our APS-1000-PG backup record run.
BRLSR08-4.jpg

Saturday Morning: It's 64 degrees with a 2 mph headwind and the density altitude is 4921, conditions are as good as it gets. The Mandello Meteor carries Bill over 170 mph on this run and earns her first Bonneville Land Speed Record.

Waiting for a lift after our second 170mph+ backup run!
BRLSR08-5.jpg

We headed back to impound and proceeded to work with the Chief Inspector and USFRA to get the bike sealed and reclassified for the Altered 1000 Pushrod Gas class. The crew gets to removing the front fairing and belly pan and applying the newly assigned numbers to the tail section #1545.

In Impound, future "Guzzisti pledges" give their support as we get ready to remove excess bodywork for 'A-PG' class.
BRLSR08-6.jpg

Back in line ready for our qualifying run in 'A' class. Chief Syrup Head checks the oil pan for sufficient heat.
BRLSR08-7.jpg

The standing record in 'A-PG' class was 147.19 mph. We qualified after running a 151.66. The bike felt good without the fairing though I lugged her a bit in 4th from shifting too early. The fairing did make a big difference with top end speed. We headed back to impound and waited for the Noon backup run.

The Mandello Meteor just after the 3rd gear 8500 rpm backup run that gave us our second record at 150.908 mph in Altered Pushrod Gas.
BRLSR08-8.jpg

A piece of splintered phone pole (below) was recovered from the salt. It was remnants from Craig Breedlove's infamous crash in 1964, when he lost both parachutes and effectively had no brakes at over 525 mph. After plowing through a row of phone poles, He eventually crashed into a salt pond at 200 mph and survived, uninjured. Hallowed ground indeed!
BRLSR08-9.jpg

At impound the bike is measured for displacement and our records receive final verification.
BRLSR08-10.jpg

Team Subtle Crowbar at the USFRA 'World of Speed' 2008
L to R: Dan Vallee, Ray Bland, Bob Ross, Fred Ghyselincks, Bill Ensley,Tony Statz, Mani and Bill Ross.

BRLSR08-11.jpg

We couldn't have done it without all of the generous support from fellow Guzzisti, Famiglia and our Sponsors. Please feel free to check out our website to see more photos, race schedules, and Links. Check out the sponsors and continuing updates and feel free to drop an email as well. Website; http://www.teamsubtlecrowbar.pitpilot.com

THANK YOU ALL!!!
Bill 'Big Daddy' Ross

Two thumbs up to everyone involved:)

I might have to change my standard answer when someone asks me how fast my Guzzi is. Normally I say "not too fast, 'bout like a Harley". Now I'll have to add "except for the Mandello Meteor, it's in a class by itself"

:) :) :) :)

Good on ya Bill. Congratulations. Looks like a special crew.

Price

Bill, Team Subtle Crowbar, Super congrats! what an outstanding achievement, appreciate the excellent account of your record setting. You have the fastest pushrods on earth!!! Glad that you all came back in one piece also!!

Thank you for the kind words everybody, they are appreciated.

It`s been a slow starting season at El Mirage due to a work related back injury.
We wont be at Speedweek but instead will attend the World of Speed Sept 16-19. It`s a SCTA sanctioned event put on by the friendly down home racers of the USFRA ,
"Utah Salt Flat Racers Association". It`s not as big an event as speedweek, and usually a little cooler. If it gets rained out then we`ll shoot for the World Finals in October.

My crew chief Fred Ghyselincks from Victoria Canada had a major seizure a few weeks after we returned from Bonneville last year. Months later it was discovered that he had a large brain tumor. This Aug 13th he`s going in to get it removed, and is itchin as hell to be on the salt with us the following month. He`s as pure a motorcycle enthusiast as I`ve ever known and a great friend.

The bike has received some attention, better gearing and some subtle changes to the aero that hopefully will lower the CD a bit as well as be in compliance with the modified partial streamlining rule interpretations.... Working on velocity stacks now to fit the mikunis, the air intake on them could be better. No real changes planned to the motor unless a leakdown test dictates otherwise.

Good luck at Speedweek Alex !

Warm Regards all, Bill

Best of luck and quick recovery to you and the team Bill. We'll see if we can add another Guzzi to the rule book.
Alex

Back