Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Manifold nuts/studs

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by John L, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

MAGA!

2. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

All too often I've had studs come out instead of the nuts come off. Locktite 2422 is a very high temp (650°F) medium strength bonder which I now use on exhaust studs. Then make sure you use some good anti-seize on the nuts. If there's room I also use plain washers and spring washers - to be sure, to be sure. Some bikes, like my DR650, have bolts which thread into the head and must be removed from the head every time you remove the exhaust. This soon destroys the thread in the alloy head. For those I buy studs and do the conversion. My first ever helicoil was one of this type about 40(ish) years ago. By using studs I've never had that problem again.

Stainless steel has more alloyed metals in it than just chromium, and there are many different blends for all sorts of purposes. Good ol' 316 I find the best all-rounder. Suitable for salt water craft too.

Trout and John L like this.
  3. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

I suppose that would be up to the person (company) buying from any source.

4. WarchiefSpeck

WarchiefSpeck Just got it firing!

I know it’s been years, but is this still somewhere on the store? I’ve encountered an issue with my “new to me” California Touring

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I had no takers, so I never put them online. Email me direct if interested; Info @GuzziTech.com

6. BrianR

BrianR Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I have used the manifold domed nuts off a Triumph Speed Twin/Bobber, at about $6 Canadian each and they don't gall and are easy to take off when needed.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Do you know what the material is used for the nuts? I managed to gall 3 out of the 4 stainless nuts on my Cali 1400 exhaust flange nuts, they are impossible to unscrew, the entire studs unscrewed out of the head.

IIRC, the replacements I used were chromed brass blind nuts.

8. WarchiefSpeck

Sent the email. Thanks in advance!

9. WarchiefSpeck

Nice!! I need the studs as well though. The stock set up rusted and I ended up removing The stud from the head...

10. BrianR

BrianR Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

It's some form of alloy, and I've had them off twice since installing with no issues