Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

Maps

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by tecpatl4, Aug 18, 2015.

1. tecpatl4

tecpatl4 Just got it firing!

Not the fuel kind, but rather the paper kind.
    I'm wiring up a GPS this weekend as I just got the cable, but i prefer a paper map and like to write directions on an index card.
    But I have no place to put it.

I've always used a magnetic tank bag but not now. Everything else that I carried in there is now in a small pouch strapped to the right pannier. I can still reach it without dismounting.

So how do you carry a map? I was thinking my best bet is going to be something like the Aerostitch map sleeve.

http://www.aerostich.com/media/cata...ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/5/152_1ha.jpg

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I have used the Aerostitch sleeve map. I like it. It is not as useful as a full tank bag with the map pocket on top, but it does work pretty well.
    I have given up on the paper map thing and now use a GPS.

4. toma nova

toma nova Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

When making suspension adjustments and testing them out, I used 2" blue painters tape on the tank and made notes right on it with a Sharpie. There's not a lot of flat space, but you could definitely write down directions, or even tape an index card / paper to the top of the tank.

I used a Cortech mini magnetic tank bag on my V-Strom and loved it. I'm looking at a Wolfman Blackhawk for the Stelvio so I can leave the bags off for day rides.

5. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

Or get one of these.

Have had one on my 2012 since new. Never given me an issue and waterproof. I keep the bra part on my bike all the time. All I did was put some 3M automotive protective tape under it so it would not scratch the tank. Looks great, is shaped properly for the tank and has a fair sized map pocket. Bra looks good on the bike. The bag zips completely off, or partially off for fuel refills.

http://giantloopmoto.com/products/fandango-tank-bag-standard/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. elfrider

elfrider Just got it firing!

Hi tecpatl4,

I have a Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag that has a detachable map sleeve (held on by Velcro).

A lot of the Wolfman bags use this map sleeve and it can be bought separately.

Like you I use a GPS but still really like the option to have somewhere to have notes directions etc visible.

The map sleeve is normally attached to the tank bag but originally all I wanted on the tank was a map and no bag, try finding someone who does this well.

I also have the Kriega ‘TANK’ which can also be bought on it’s own.

With the addition of some strips of velrco, seen running left to right across the ‘TANK’ in the 1st photo, the map sleeve can be attached to the tank without the need for a bag as in the second photo.

There was some talk of, and a lot of people have asked if Kriega was going to come up with their own map sleeve. I wish they would as they make some nice stuff.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]