• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Marvel Mystery Oil

I don't use it but have put it in my cylinders of my LM3 that is parked from 07. It is mostly ATF trans fluid, some swear by it.

Oil has a higher BTU then gas so from what I've read, you'll get upper cyl/valve lubrication but expect higher cyl temps from the hotter burn.

I have used that product for decades.

Steve is mistaken. It contains no ATF fluid. It’s principle active ingredients are 1,2-dichlorobenzine and 1,4-dichlorobenzine. The numbers refer to the position on the aromatic benzine ring, where the chlorine atoms are bound.
IMG 3641
IMG 3642

Benzine is an aromatic ring chemical compound with outstanding solvent properties, especially carbon.

It is excellent at removing sludge, varnish, and really nasty deposits within engines. It was originally developed for use in WWII radial engines. Radial engines develop a lot of deposits due to the nature of the cylinder layout in the engine.

I do not recommend nor have I used this as a fuel additive. There are far better choices, specifically
Gumout Multi System Tune Up with polyetheramine, a spectacular solvent that works fantastic in gasoline fuel.

You know the trade name for polyetheramine, it’s TECHRON. Yes, Chevron developed it. 👍

I do recommend and have used MMO literally 1000’s of times, in the crankcase but not for running all the time. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS THE SOLVENT IS POWERFUL AND CAN REMOVE CRITICAL LUBRICATION FROM THE CYLINDER WALL WHILE THE ENGINE IS IN HARD OR HIGH REVOLUTION OPERATION.

I use it specifically for oil changes and first time cleaning in used motorcycles I have purchased and or worked on in my shop.

After riding the motorcycle to operating temperature, I use a giant feeding tube syringe and hose to suck out about 250-500cc of oil which I then replace with 250-500cc MMO. I then ride the bike gentle for about 5-10 miles. Then I drain the used oil and MMO fully from the crankcase and replace with fresh oil only.

This stuff cleans engine internals like nothing else I know of. It’s truly a miracle, hence its name.

In truth, the stuff is seriously carcinogenic and toxic so USE GLOVES and DO NOT breath in the fumes from your running engine. Also have a very well vented garage when you do use this. If you take basic precautions, you will be fine, however do not be cavalier with it! Benzene can hurt you badly!

I have also used this to completely clean intake manifolds overnight. You simply pour some into a squirt bottle and spritz it until wet all inside of the intake. Let it sit overnight and on the bottom in the morning, will be a puddle of black muck which I wipe up with a paper towel or towel and then finish with a final spray of carb/intake cleaner.

Case in point, the V-10 Centauro intake path is famous for getting massive carbon buildup. This stuff makes it like brand new, over night by using the spritz method above.

Hope this helps.

If used correctly, the stuff is amazing.

FWIW: In automotive engines with bronze valve guides, it will unstick any stuck lifter or valve, completely removing the need to rebuild a head, such as a Ford Focus engine for example. It will clean the head like new overnight.

👌👍🙏

ONE MORE CRITICAL THING ABOUT THIS.

DO NOT EVER ADD IT TO ANY MOTORCYCLE WITH A CRANKCASE AND TRANSMISSION THAT SHARE THE SAME OIL!!!!!

YOU WILL IRREVOCABLY RUIN THE CLUTCH PACK PLATES.

ONLY USE THIS IN THE CRANKCASE OF AN ENGINE THAT HAS ENGINE ONLY OIL IN IT AND THIS OIL IS NOT SHARED WITH THE TRANSMISSION.

Last edited:
I worked in a shop that overhauled radial aircraft engines after I retired from my gov job. We broke in all of the engines with MMO. Good stuff.
kk

To add to my previous post. If your running stock exhaust I would be concerned what burning MMO might do to your catalytic converters??

MMO won’t hurt catalytic converters.

EDIT: If used in correct ratios listed in the instructions on the bottle!

Last edited:
It’s funny. I don’t know if I ever told this but 30+ years ago, I owned an infusion pharmacy. We provided IV medications for HIV and cancer patients in the homecare setting.

There is a saying in pharmacy. “Do you know what the difference between a medicine and a poison is? The dosage!”

If you read online and search hard, you will find a few MMO horror stories. Invariably they are because the user DID NOT READ the instructions on how you should use the product.

Almost always. They simply assumed that you dumped the whole bottle in! 😵‍💫

Please remember that this is a solvent. It’s purpose is to effect dissolving of bad nasty carbon crud from the internal surfaces of your engine and suspend it in the oil solution for draining.

That’s how I treat this product.

The last thing I want is dissolved crud being sent through every gallery and passageway in my engine over and over again. I want to get it dissolved into suspension as rapidly as possible and then immediately remove all of it from my motor as completely as possible.

Also, I should clarify that although I love to use this product in the first service of an older motorcycle that I acquire, I do not add it before I pull the oil belly pan for a physical cleaning first!

I have pulled many a pan with literally a half inch of sediment and crud in the bottom of the pan. MMO will quickly soften and loosen up this muck which will then get sucked up and pushed through the oil filter and the engine.

I don’t want that so I physically clean the pan internals and replace them before doing a cleaning cycle with MMO.

I want the product to clean the surfaces inside the engine without blasting the muck from the bottom of the oil pan all over.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Hi John.

Doesn’t surprise me a bit. Yes, I know lots of people who do add it to their fuel for just that reason and they tell me it works. It was developed for the oil though. I think the fuel addition came about later.

I just find polyetheramine (PEA) works much better in my experience.

The best concentration of that chemical for the price, is Gumout Multi System Tune Up. I cannot recommend this product more. It has served me very well for many years.

IMG 3644

Thanks for that Scott. I've been looking for a product with polyetheramine in Canada. Up until now I've been buying Techron when I am in the USA.
You are The Chemical King.

Back