• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Maxton shocks review for Caifornia

Adrian Beckham

Tuned and Synch'ed
Following advice from the forum about the standard shocks struggling to manage luggage and pillions, I figured it would be worth upgrading. After some research and further advice I decided to go with these kiddies.
y4m4yd79cUWoxkWesINTAd2VutgdfD6nIKdRl_ORfepv4n4pPZfqn6L2JZH8HBgecoSfDRrFojzgk3AnrwmMgu2OKdpi_Rpon6L3mang24niEvTwDxWUScDO564W0YmMOJqEte3GGMV4l9Z_xAI6MU9IadoQRoNEbcfbnZNJTH0Lw0ubPN_GbUsJeju4ISIybnt8aHm2mQsruiWed-nkVkkQA

Richard at Maxton took time out to talk me through my requirements and I finally decided it would be worth adding 15mm to the length to give a bit more travel. There's a detailed sheet to fill out and a 4 to 5 week order period to allow my shocks to be built specifically for me. I have to say the whole process was professional and painless.
But enough of that you want to know what they look like:
y4mj0huY9htIWSEiYpBOblNiQfeRb2hUX8MbzzhqEYgc2EIERl7ocWfMz8GVI_ylwfIYXObUcCrrq-bFLza2Wn4ttLkLBJPG9OfFzZ9dVCwrbvawD2CluC423m8wX26PKO6JoqQmfx6n91BzOrLOGshXpduZMvuuwz5LpSsf1G_x_pnGxiTi9ZZ6hYUtJTNYcfktzdRvQSVkQvBbUPNzjgSxA

Very sexy and very black. Not an issue for me as they are hidden behind the pannier. Adjustable for preload by a screwed collar (one full turn equating to about one step "thing" on the standard shocks) and 20 clicks of rebound. I'd guess they weigh about half of the standard shocks too
y4mD3FyU5Y5POhg--iG87Ss4odk2dbUGkdbU6x34vJ54_PxoC7ggdazh4E7o1OOv7u_a1y48mBvJAgNzaD3zxQX6v89U2KAWo9JeYVjvoZeuTqpo2lBqdagUYSsqLIDjsm5IYv489H4CDzc_iCewfjb3F53UZM46EDtwG2nH1Hswq0Nv6pOFZzPkkrsAH_Fq4hxyzNR2X-VcoJHxknFnAyD5A

y4mSf8rMY0Hj4VjKObTPCH9_o2bIuxtVucDvMC7VOM1GZFa1pUf0Pr-vzDQ20boaeBqSdcbWNidQwuq8MrCcE1LsFkVxbCdRxAjXAraoWHsVYo0k58Wg_qoD472TY2FiXw8MnDjvHDdOBSIQZj9u37W-9Og04hOrGojpSMof2LnQC1h4xC4NB_viQGj0B2KFKQ5wGxZoFJOy2RXk-oarDxcjA

I've only had chance for a quick shakedown run and need to properly set sag, but they feel fabulous. A bit firm with the recommended 8 clicks of rebound, but backing off 2 has helped. Richard provided recommendations for pillion and luggage settings that I'll experiment with in the future. Adding 15mm hasn't affected ride height much, though it does mean I need to be careful on the centre stand. I've kept the forks 15mm through the top yokes and there's no twtichines and a marked lightness to the steering when wheeling Bella about. More to come as I get some miles on them.

So managed to get about 30 miles around my "handling circuit" this weekend. It covers everything from slow corners, to high speed bumpy sweepers guaranteed to test the best handling machine. Despite storm Brian's best attempts I continue to be impressed. My bike was uber stable up to motorway speeds despite the strong winds, the ride is magic carpet smooth I simply don't feel things like rumble strips and minor bumps while bigger bumps no longer upset Bella and the weave when cranked over has gone. Still not had chance to try her two up or loaded, but the signs so far are excellent.

Update on this. I haven't been able to ride due to electrical Gremlins. Now they're sorted I took the bike for it's MOT (UK roadworthy test) this weekend but noticed an odd clunking navigating bumps. turns out that the extra 15mm is a bad thing for the drivetrain, causing the UJ to foul it's housing when the suspension is fully unloaded.

Thanks Raven,

Initially resolved by refitting the standard shocks. Quite surprised that such a small change had such a big impact. Just need to contact Maxton now and find out how much to shorten the shocks that I specified incorrectly :(

Hi Adrian, Have you got a plan for your shocks? Maxton make quality gear so am I correct that you made the error in asking for extra travel?

I am having difficuty opening the images you provieded, but I wondered how easy it is to access the shocks to make adjustments?

Thanks in advance

David

Hi David,

Totally agree that Maxton make quality gear and their advice and service is top notch. The decision to try a 15mm over standard was based on discussions with Richard who said it would improve handling (it did) but also that this was only the second Guzzi he's done and the risk was mine. So I consider the fault to be down to me, I remain surprised that such a small change resulted in fouling. :(

The fix is to install a shorter top eye and will cost about £60 and Maxton are happy to do the work for that price, though I'll probably do it myself as it's just a matter of compressing the shock, removing a circlip and slotting the new top on. I'm in the process of a front end rebuild, but will totally use the Maxton shocks, they are way better than any other shock I've had.

Not sure what happened to the pics, but access to the shocks for adjustment is about the same as standard with the exception that the standard shocks use a detented collar and a "C" spanner to adjust whereas Maxtons use a twin locking ring with what looks like a sawn off screwdriver to adjust. The new shocks are easier to get at, but the adjustment is much smaller before the "screwdriver" fouls the panniers. I've reverted to whipping the panniers off to adjust as it's just easier.

Hope that helps :)

Ade

Back