Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

MAYDAY! Dead Norge at Side of Road

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Bill Hagan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    John W. recently sold his early 2007 Norge (sister VIN to mine) to friend, Ray.

We are all at western N.Y. rally in Westfield, N.Y.

On short ride this a.m., Ray’s Norge -- 11K miles; well maintained --- “died” underway.

Checked all fuses and relays. All appear good.

Ruled out (preliminarily, at least) sidestand interlock.

Starter cranks; no start.

John — who is on the scene and whom I cc — and others there believe related to internal fuel pump as I understand they can see fuel “swirling,” which they recall as filter failure?

Given unavailability of OEM, might any of you know of clone that would work?

Other ideas/suggestions?

Bill
    404.8ZERO8.8486

P.S. Will search forum now, but, given exigent circumstance, wanted to post ASAP.

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Bill, sure sounds like the internal fuel filter or line. A BMW shop should have one, or most Euro moto shops or automotive should as well, but you might need to carry it in and show them. Don't forget the clamps and tools to R&R. It might just be that one of the lines popped off. Have to go in to see. Keep us posted.
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters

3. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

The UFI number, according to the MG Cycle site, is 31.760.00. This crosses over to a Wix 33033.
    When I swapped out my fuel filter, some years ago, I used the Wix number.
    33033 is for 3/8 hose, for some reason I thought my bike was 5/16 hose but it was a long time ago. 5/16 hose would be a 33032.

This should be easy to find at any local parts store for just a few $$$.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The all metal filter to use is the KL 145 or equivalent. That is what BMW motorcycles use. I just serviced a V7 Cafe today and checking the fuel filter the previous owner had already installed the KL 145 so that catastrophe has been averted for that bike

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

john zibell likes this.
  6. Bill Hagan

Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful replies.

Seems hose was OK.

Tho perhaps removing the clamps on the the OEM filter MAY have done some damage. ::think:

Be that as it may, the culprit this time was the filter itself.

The plastic half of the OEM was so swollen -- presumably from cursed ethanol :swear: -- that it split at the seam with its metal mate. :fubar:

[​IMG]

Guzzisteve called in the NAPA part #[GOLD 3032] and all was well. :clap:

I'll post some pix of this and more when I get back home on Monday.

Bill

GT-Rx® likes this.
  7. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Nothing to do with Ethanol. When I made an enquiry with Mahle UK about that filter they told me it was designed for use with diesel fuel and on no account should it be immersed on petrol/gasolene. The also very kindly sent me a couple of KL145 metal filters.

8. Bill Hagan

Interesting, Brian.

That is puzzling to me as I did not think there had been many -- if any -- failures of that OEM filter in Europe, i.e., outside of "Ethanol Country."

Bill

Mayakovski likes this.
  9. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

They swell up just the same here. I changed mine some years back and it was well out of shape.
    But I understood they were more concerned with the adhesive which was used to seal the join between the plastic and metal.