• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Merging a Tonti & Spine - trans compatibility

SuperEvil

Just got it firing!
I've searched for this, and can't find it addressed specifically. I'm sure some of you have seen this done.

I have a 79 CX100. Recently I bought a 96 Carb Sport 1100 to replace it. Now I've decided that I love the overall feeling of the tonti, but the engine of the spine. My garage is also heated.

Theres a lot more to this, but my main concern now is the transmission. I don't like the straight cut gearbox of the 1100, and the clutch on the 1100 is toast. My 5 speed tonti transmission is tight and right, but the housing is beat to hell, cosmetically. The Sport trans is clean clean and matches the engine housing.

Questions:
Are these transmissions interchangeable, more or less?
Should I be putting my helical gears in the Sport housing? Or is that a can of worms?
Am I going to be able to reuse the clutch in my CX in the 1100 engine?

Interested to hear from people who have been here, and what they course they took.

SE, yes, it is a direct swap. I can't speak of the neutral switch between the two, but I've personally put a Centauro (straight cut) internals into the California housing with no issues. To speak to someone with the knowledge or have it done right, speak with Charlie Cole at; http://www.zydecoracing.com/services.html -- tell him we sent you.

Clutch wise, if it is even somewhat approaching it's service limits, replace it. It's a pretty big job that you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it if so.

I know one thing , in a Tonti Frame is possible swap the engine with a V11 engine, keeping the original ( tonti )gear box
so the 1100 sport engine, will fit as well.

Another thing i know is that Guzzi clutch ( 2 discs ) is the same for early tonti frames , california models ,V11, Breva .

From your post i understand you want to put the 1100 engine and trans in a Tonti Frame , is it correct ?

well , check this one out..... ;)

http://www.motoborgotaro.com/custom-bik ... -lemans-2/

cheers
Marco

ARVENO said:
Another thing i know is that Guzzi clutch ( 2 discs ) is the same for early tonti frames , california models ,V11, Breva .

While the friction and intermediate plates are essentially the same the 1100 engined bikes and the Hi-Cams use a ten spring clutch assembly rather than the earlier eight spring one.

My understanding is that you want to put the helically cut six dog internals into the Sport case and run it in the spine frame? Is that correct? If so then the internals are a straight swap but the box will need shimming and I'd suggest not using the 3205ATN9 bearings used in the Sport box on the input and output shafts. You may also need to swap the needle rollers on the end of the output and cluster shafts.

If using the 1100 Sport motor you will need to use the Sport flywheel as this has the ignition triggers on it. It also provides for the 10 spring pressure plate which will be needed if you want to avoid frequent clutch changes due to slippage. You say the Sport clutch is worn out? How many miles has this machine done? Unless abused the twin platers last a LNG time as a rule....

Pete

Thanks everyone.

My first post is a little vague on re-read. Here is what I want to do:
Put the Sport 1100 engine in my tonti frame, with all electronics,carbs, everything. This part is no problem.
Use the CX100 helical transmission internals... either in its current housing, or transferred to the Sport 1100 housing.
Everything else on the tonti frame will remain, including stock swing arm/drive and wheels. So the 1100 housing would need to work with that.

Based on what you guys are saying, Im thinking I'll just redo the clutch if it needs it. Pete, this is a low mileage engine, but my gut says that the PO wore down the friction material by riding the clutch. It slips under hi-revs and I'm out of adjustment. Cable is sound. I'll see for sure when I tear into it.

It seems the consensus is that everything works together, so I can go any route I please. I won't be using a neutral indicator, so it might come down to aesthetics and input wear. My last loop frame had heavy scoring in the input shaft on the casing, so I'll be looking for that for sure. I may send the whole mess to Charlie Cole for shimming if budget allows.

You will need to swap the gearbox endcase at the very least as the 1100 box doesn't have the cast flange the boot o the swingarm affixes to.

Also, with the clutch. You do know there are three adjustment points. The adjuster on the lever mount. The adjuster at the other end of the cable and the grub screw and lock- nut on the operating arm on e back of the box?

With Sports C's especially as the arm moves back as the clutch wears them arm can end up jammed against the gearbox mounting bracket, preloading the thrust bearing and causing the clutch to slip. Undoing the locknut and wining the grub screw out a bit allows the arm to move forward again so it no longer preloads the operating mechanism. Adjustment is always a bit of a juggling act using the three points. Getting to the grub screw on an early spines is NOT an easy task mind.

Pete

Back