• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MG 97 EFI 1100 Sport, issue with engine cutting off at random

MedicAndy

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am a new MG owner, and I bought three MG's since April 2016. I bought an all original 5200 mile 1985 Lemans V1000 IV, a 1997 7200 mile EFI 1100 Sport, and a second 1997 25k miles EFI 1100 Sport. I just bought the 2nd 1100 Sport yesterday, so she is still in Michigan until Sunday, when I ride up there from NC to take her home!

The LeMans and my first 7,2k mile bike both look and run great. The 97 Sport was sitting at the Wisconsin Motorcycle Museum for almost 17 years of her 19 years of age.

Engine cutting off issues!

The 1100 Sport rides absolutely great, but I do have two issues with her at times.

1st - I noticed that if I pull the clutch in, lets say anywhere between traveling at speeds from 20-70 mph to let her roll towards a red light or a stop sign without giving gas, that the engine's rpm drop really fast, and she (most of the time) cuts off on me. The rpm's usually at startup, or when I down shift before stopping is right at 1000 rpm's.

2nd - The engine idles fine at startup at 1000 rpm's without cutting off on me. However, the engine cuts off at random after she has warmed up when I need to stop for whatever reason. The rpm's idle at 1000 rpm's, and then, without any indication of anything being wrong, she shuts herself off!

I also noticed at times that when I travel at a constant speed, lets say at 45, 55, or 70 mph, that I feel a very short "I think it's a surge in power, but it could also be that the engine shuts down and starts up again really fast since I'm in motion"?

I wonder if I could have an issue with a ground, some other electrical wire being possible loose, the EFI, or possibly with the ECU? Just in case, I did replaced all 5 relay's, which are located under the passenger seat, but that did not help.

Any feedback are greatly appreciated, especially since I don'y know anything about Moto Guzzi's or trouble shooting an issue like this.

Andy

This is my 85 LeMans
Fullsizeoutput 1fb70

This is the little lady which is giving me some "Engine cutting off" issues!
Fullsizeoutput 1fcf0

And this is the one that I just bought yesterday, so I don't really know anything about this beauty, except the owner states that everything is good to go, and all maintenance work that she had received since new is well documented. She will be in my stable next Tuesday!
P1150216

The idle is set too low. The 1100i idle should be 1200 - 1250 RPM. When you do a throttle body synchronization, open up the air bypass screws to increase the idle speed. Do not touch the throttle stop screws. If the marking paint has been removed in the throttle stop screws, they need to be re-set. See page 2 of this thread for the California TPS procedure, https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/new-alaris-centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/ that is with the rod disconnected, back off the idle stop completely then set the TPS to 150 mV then screw the idle stop in until you get about 380 mV.

Andy, welcome to the Forum and Famiglia. Congrats on the bikes. Guzzi's are addictive as you now know. I've moved your post here to the Spine section. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry page, and your Tonti LeMans under that section.

So the 1100 Sport was notorious for these issues. Corrected fueling is paramount beyond correct and proper set up. Do you know what EPROM chip it has? It lives under the big rubber plug on the ECU. If it still has the factory sealed tape on the plug, let us know that as well. I can be of help with the fueling. Write me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com
Secondly, if there is a surge or power cut-off at 3k RPM, that is a sloppy cam chain with a strange harmonic report to the cam sensor. You'll need to replace the stock cam chain (flapper) tensioner with a bow style or similar.

Thanks for all of the great replies!

I'm off to Michigan this morning to pick up my newest stable mate. I'm going to add my bikes to the registry, and hopefully get to narrow the "Engine Cut-off issues" I have on my 1100 Sport when I get back next week.

Again, thanks so much to all, since I have never worked on the actual interiors or mechanics of an engine before, so I will contact you guys again soon via email, since I will need some assistance as I go along!

Best regards,

Andy

Beautiful bikes & becoming harder to find on the world market.
In my humble opinion, best sport Guzzi ever made!
The Mk 4 & 5 were extremely good but the Sport is just that much better again with the suspension & brakes combo, & only falls behind in handling until you do a few tweaks or learn to ride by counter steering to get her to roll into a sharp bend where she will then like most Guzzi's stay there as if on rails.
I have a 96 carb 1100 ( ex USA); no emission rubbish on it, retuned & is now smoother than my aftermarket chipped Centauro.
The car by has no rubber Cush so you learn to ride a bit smoother but by no means " baby" it, but stay just put the power on & keep them in the lower gears relative to road speeds I.e. 5th is only for warp drive.

Back