RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

MG Rack and Givi Top Box on Audace

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by PaulDavies, Apr 22, 2017.

1. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

So given that my bike has to serve as both fun bike and occasional tourer/commuter, I thought about attaching the MG rack to the Audace and fitting a Givi V46 Top box. First thing to note is the Audace has all the mounting holes that the Cali has. The rack also fits around the Audace rear seat no problem (different shape to the Cali), so in theory it's a straightforward job, but a couple of things tripped me up,

1st off the Audace as a slightly different rear fender that is "flat" along it's bottom edge whereas Cali's is more rounded, this meant the two fender mounted chrome brackets for the rack that normally curve down, under and then up around the bottom of the fender wouldn't fit. There are two options, cut a narrow "mail box" slot in the fender on each side to match the size and shape of the bracket, or make a rectangular cutout. You can see in the photo I did the small cutout. I used a tiny drill mounted needle file to make the cutout after making a template based on measuring things 4 times (you only get one shot at making it right). I thne sealed around the edges with black mastic/sealant.

2nd off, the rack mount goes under the seat, however the rider seat cannot be "clicked' into the locked position because the shape of the seat is obstructed by the rack. In the end I had to remove a couple of staples from the underside of the riders seat leather, snip away some of the plastic base and re-staple. You can see this in the photo.

Next I fitted a Givi V46 Rack, purely because I happened to have it kicking around in the garage from my previous bike. It has the clear reflector panels and I think it looks a pretty good match for the LED tailight, but it's all subjective

DSC01626s.jpg

Below you can see the cutout for the seat and the fender

DSC01629s.jpg

The full monty
    DSC01630s.jpg

John L and Robert Gibson like this.
  2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have the Givi V46 on my Breva 1100 and purchased the brake light kit, the 4 circles above the Givi logo contain small lamps and are wired into the brake light circuit. Where as your is a white reflector panel, mine is red.

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

It looks like you've hard mounted the top box to the MG rack, rather than using a universal mounting plate such as this one sold here.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/monolock-universal-fit-kit/

While it must be great to be able to carry so much luggage, it does IMHO, spoil the lines of a great looking bike. Personally, I would only want to mount this huge top box when absolutely necessary.

4. PaulDavies

Yes I agree, it definitely looks cooler without the box, but it's so convenient to throw things like helmet, gloves, phone, jacket etc into when on a ride. At the end of the day, as with all things motorcycle, it's a trade off. The whole rack/topbox thing can be removed/fitted in under 5 mins.

One thing I did notice about the rack (the top box itself is fairly light) is that it shifts the weight of the bike further backwards. You don't notice when riding, as it isn't by much, but I went to jack up the bike last weekend using one of those $100-150 ATV type lifts (which I've used before with no problem) and the back wheel just wouldn't rise off the ground. I had to remove the rack in the end to get rear wheel clearance. I suspect the same would be true of the Cali custom with rack fitted although my Carbon front fender probably made a huge difference (ha ha)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

My front wheel always lifts first, even with the lift moved rearwards as far as I dare. Installed the rack before I purchased the lift, never occurred to me that the rack would be upsetting things. It is rather heavy.

6. John L

John L Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Nice job.

7. PaulDavies

Thanks mate, now if it would only stop raining here in Vancouver I'd be able to ride it. At the moment I'm cycling to work more than riding. The thread hopefully highlights the fact that the MG Rack will (with some minor mods) fit the Audace. All the web sites I visit like AF1 etc don't list it as compatible (which technically it isn't - not 100% anyway), but all the mountings are there and the mods to make it work are not difficult if you take your time

8. John L

I know mate had the same problem when I bought the rack for my Eldorado at that time all the California stuff was
    advertised as fitting all models and the Eldo guard is even deeper than the Audace, but where there's a will there's a way. This is what I ended up with, I thought of cutting a hole in the guard but didn't trust myself to do it. (That's just a reflection in the guard)

Attached Files:

9. PaulDavies

I investigated that approach too (Option 3 I guess). Bought some longer bolts and washers to lower the small chrome rack/fender attachment pieces about an inch to clear the bottom of the fender and then thought about making a connecting piece to fill the space. In the end I gave up and did the mail box fender cut. Yours looks pretty good especially painted black

John L likes this.
  10. helmerson

helmerson Just got it firing!

Img10.PNG Img11.PNG Img12.PNG Img14.PNG Img15.PNG Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

1. Agostini slip-ons (with dB killer fitted)
    2. Cali 1400 Touring handlebar with risers
    3. Original OEM heated grip option added
    4. Sargent heated seat pad and controller fitted
    5. Removed fender extender for lights and number plates
    6. Used Harley curved number plate frame and made surrounding frame from timber
    7. Moved rear reflector light up to fender
    8. Fitted Harley small luggage rack
    9. Clamped Givi base plate to it (easy to remove)
    10. Added Dart flyscreen (suited for V7)
    11. Replaced headlamp with high intensity OPT7 H4 LED lamp
    12. Moved front blinkers to fairing frame
    13. Added BMC airfilter
    14. Ordered Rapidbike Easy O2 modulator (to improve low rpm fueling)
    15. .... not sure yet....??

11. John L

. Done quite a few mods to my Audace also:

Nice mods mate, very well done and very neat. Like the rack idea I might pinch it and do something similar for the Eldo for solo touring, with the passenger pad and grab rail removed it's very similar to the Audace. Did you get the seat specially made?

12. helmerson

The seat is the stock Audace seat, it comes with an additional small seat pad for pillion riders which I removed.

13. John L

Sorry, I thought it was a Sargent seat I miss-understood. What then is the Sargent heated seat pad it sounds interesting.

14. helmerson

John L likes this.
  15. PaulDavies

Like the license plate mod, I've been toying with something like that myself. There is one that goes off to the side and mounts off the shock bolt, but I like yours too although I'm not sure it would work with my topbox as it sits way further back . I wonder if it would obscure the plate.

I would be interested to see a Dyno chart for the Agostinis, especially after the RapidBike Mod. There is a full exhaust system made by GT-Rx that shows 20Ib/ft and 20hp gains which sound awesome.

Even though I raised the standard Audace handlebars by 2" using my own risers (and it made a big difference for someone short like me), I'm still not 100% happy so I've ordered the 2017 Audace handlebars with more pullback and slightly curved downwards. Took some tracking down but it's MG part 2B003940. They should still fit with my risers (fingers crossed) and I won't need longer cables

16. trainman

trainman Just got it firing!

I know its long ago but did you change the 'bars? any issues? cheers

17. PaulDavies

18. trainman

trainman Just got it firing!

19. Maxrub

Maxrub Just got it firing!

Hi, I understand it was some time ago but how do you find the rack solution? I am looking to add some luggage and still scratching my head between lateral bags or this one. Also, do you know the HD code for the rack? Many thanks! Max

20. Zazu

Zazu Tuned and Synch'ed

Curious about the replacement headlamp. Was the OPT7 H4 LED a simple plug and play, or did you have to do any mods to accommodate for any differences in power, heat, fit? Looking for a solution to improve headlamp visibility on my Cali 1400, but hesitant to introduce anything that might cause problems. Appreciate any feedback.