Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

MGX21 Starting Question

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Joel Dazey, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Joel Dazey

Joel Dazey Just got it firing!

Good morning all,

Our beloved Breva recently hit the 60k mark, and we decided to add another Guzzi to the collection; the MGX21. I absolutely LOVE it thus far, it's been a dream bike of mine since I saw the concept. I have only one issue, and it's a small one that I hope you all might be able to help with....

When starting cold, the engine cranks, turns over, and beats a couple times before dying. After this, the 2nd start works perfectly, and it runs like a dream. Warm starts it goes 1st time, every time. It's still under warranty, but I figured I would check here in the event it's something I can do myself (increase idle or something?).

Curious to hear your thoughts....

2. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

When you start it do you turn the key on and let the dials sweep, return and then turn it to the start position.

3. Joel Dazey

Absolutely! Dials do their dance, lights go full rainbow and then reset, and then I start it. We have multiple Guzzis, start them the same way (with the exception of Breva, which you just press the starter and let go and it cranks itself without the need to hold down)

4. anmagu

anmagu Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Sometimes i have the same thing on my audace carbon. No solution so far, and i stopped bothering finding the problem.
    Interested in a solution though.

5. Joel Dazey

Interesting....guess I'll just have to ask next time we're in the shop

6. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

This has a thread in here regarding the Cali 1400. My bike does this occasionally as well I just stay quick on the throttle to nudge it to run when this happens. Don't know of any solution I regard it as more Guzzi "character".

7. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The fly by wire throttle has a auto-learn/reset function that only a dealer can do. Sounds like it was not done (typical) on PDI. That and proper set up of valve lash, etc is equally as critical.