• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Michelin Pilot Activ's for my Breva 750

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
We were lucky this time, instead of having to cross from Canada to the USA via the road bridges, the Peelee island ferry did a trip from Leamington Ontario, to Peelee Island, then carried on to Sandusky Ohio.
In Ohio.
Jim at route 51 Custom Cycle got me a set of Pilot Activ's and they went on the bike Thursday 5th of may.
Also testing these newfangled Dyna Beads, instead of the usual balancing weights
The bike mileage so far = 35 956.
So lets see if the rear lasts more than the usual 7000 mi I have got from the Sport Demon's & Lazertech's.
Today, Saturday, is the first ride, as we had thunderstorms all day yesterday.
So far, all good.
Expect to head to South Carolina then the Florida panhandle to see mates before heading west to Nevada, leaving this coming Monday
Oh , Holt, what pressures do you run in yours ? 2 up with full touring bags ? Thanks in advance.
Take Care Out There

Woo-hoo-newshoes.jpg

motoguzziman said:
Oh , Holt, what pressures do you run in yours ? 2 up with full touring bags ? Thanks in advance.
Take Care Out There

Woo-hoo-newshoes.jpg

Ouch!

Dunno - never ever ride two up...

At the most, fully loaded, which are two H&Bs, tankbag and a roll with tent & raingear; 2,5 fore and 2,7 aft. Bar, I think. :blush:

Owners manuals calls for 220 kpa (32 psi) front, and 240 kpa (35 psi) rear, Riding heavy, I'd increase 2 psi on each for 34 psi front and 37 psi rear. Although 38 psi rear would not be out of line.

Holt, your pressures look high to me as you pressures convert to 36 psi front and 39 psi rear. The factory equivalent in bar would be 2.2 and 2.4 respectively (nice how easily metric pressures convert).

Thanks.
Finally found a motel with WiFi.
Will update as and when I can.
So far, got to Ashland Kentucky, wanted to get further on, but roadworks & detours slowed things down a bit.
Take Care Out There

motoguzziman said:
Thanks.
Finally found a motel with WiFi.
Will update as and when I can.
So far, got to Ashland Kentucky, wanted to get further on, but roadworks & detours slowed things down a bit.
Take Care Out There

If you have time, head for Natural Bridge State Park in Slade KY. Take a run through the Nada tunnel (single lane, narrow, no lights, and always wet in the tunnel) which is on state route 77 and up to one of the natural bridges. Also the lodge at the state park serves great meals. When we lived in Lexington KY, we rode over there whenever we could.

john zibell said:
Owners manuals calls for 220 kpa (32 psi) front, and 240 kpa (35 psi) rear, Riding heavy, I'd increase 2 psi on each for 34 psi front and 37 psi rear. Although 38 psi rear would not be out of line.

Holt, your pressures look high to me as you pressures convert to 36 psi front and 39 psi rear. The factory equivalent in bar would be 2.2 and 2.4 respectively (nice how easily metric pressures convert).

2,2 & 2,4 are what's normal. I would increase those figures when fully loaded. I've got a Brother-tape attached on the cockpit for my weak memory... :mrgreen:
People wiser than I am, would check with the tire-manufacturers figures for the specific tire, not the bike manual.

Today was a day of thunderstorms & rain, so no piccys of the remaining tread, just yet.
However, today the Michelin Pilot Activ's have done 7103 Mi, in all conditions, from thunderstorms to 120 degrees.
Offhand, they look like they have just got started, as opposed to being " Worn Out "
Currently in Mt Vernon Illinois, heading for Ohio. :mrgreen:
Take Care Out There.

OK I thought I was turning into the Days Inn, in Benton, :eek: but the motel entrance must have been the next one along, as I suddenly found myself on Interstate 57, heading North, :oops: with nowhere to turn, before Mt Vernon. :lol:

Post Script on the Pilot Active´s. Yes its a bit late, but I have been rather busy with family problems, Sorry.

OK, the Rear lasted for just over 14000 mi.
As stated previously, I have only got around 7000 mi with the Metzler Lazertech & Pirelli Sport Demon Rears.
I should have changed it before heading into Canada, but the tread looked ok, and I thought it would last the trip. Needless to say, the Canadian Rockies, and road works took their toll, and the tread wore away faster than anticipated.
So I ended up having to change the rear tire, in Smithers, on the way back from Alaska.
The local Harley shop had one tire in stock, that would fit, a Metzler Tourance, apparently they fit them on the BMW GS Series. Well, due to Canadian taxes etc, it ended up costing $ Cad 450. Also, I had completely forgotten about the Dyna Beads, so as they were removing the tire, the damm beads started dropping out and rolling all over the shop.
I did say sorry, and the owner was OK with that, he sort of gave me a look, and said
" beads are ok, BUT if it had been Slime, then you would be cleaning the whole darn shop ! "

The Front Tire is showing some cupping, and will be replaced once I get the bike back to GT Motors next spring, but so far it has 17 173 miles on it. The Tourance looks rather big, on the Breva, but I have not found any difference in road holding, irrespective of the weather.
Again, as most of you allready know, with 2 up and vastly overloaded with gear, I tend to ride rather conservatively, so I don´t go skidding into corners.
Piccy Here :http://motoguzziriders.com/2012/07/07/back-to-the-rockies/
and Here :http://motoguzziriders.com/2012/08/12/end-of-the-road/

Take Care Out There.

Back