Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Minor problem? ;)

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by GuzziHero, Jun 8, 2015.

1. GuzziHero

GuzziHero Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

So I just had my Griso valves adjusted. Out for the first ride and all was going well till the bike started misfiring and making a godawful noise.

Took the rocker cover off. See if you can spot the problem...

Attached Files:

2. kevin22july

kevin22july Just got it firing!

any damage, if not your lucky, obviously dont use nut lock. hope you gave them hell

3. GuzziHero

I'll be calling tomorrow. Polite but assertive I think. Failing that, the 10 megaton F-bomb gets launched!

Its not as bad as it could have been I guess, I just hope there is no proper damage.

4. klaas123

klaas123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

where is the retaining nut???

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It is sitting on the rocker tray.

6. kampe

kampe Cruisin' Guzzisti

I had the same problem once on my 8v and thought the camfolowers had gone. Turned out the mecanic hadn't thigned the locknut. They found it in the oilpan. The nut didn't fit through the oil Pickup :whew: . There was no damage.

7. GuzziHero

Well when I looked over it before I took the head off, I saw a little oily dirty on the engine. I thought it was base gasket that had gone, since I am mechanically not that clued up.

But since they are inspecting it all, they may have to put a base gasket on, so this cloud might have a silver lining.

8. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Guzzihero

Consider sending the dealer a Politically Correct polite email and include the picture. which is worth 1,000 words and difficult to hide from.

Also thanks for the pic, you've just reinforced my resolve to keep the Dealer away from my Griso.

9. GuzziHero

I emailed them with the pic the night I made the discovery plus called them the following day. Within 40 mins they had picked it up and taken it back in for a full inspection, along with a full apology.

Hell, I even got £40 goodwill gesture from the breakdown recovery company because it took 3 hours to get to me!

10. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I had an adjuster snap in half on my 1200 Sport. Actually, I wasn't riding it, Todd was doing a check after installing a PCV+Autotune.

No damage apparent, and I rode the same bike from east to west coast of the USA after this.

11. GuzziHero

Long story short...

They have stripped both sides of the motor down, replaced all gaskets and sparkplugs (theres 2 per cylinder) and it will be rebuilt for tomorrow.

And they sacked the guy who did it. I feel like crap about that :( but hey, when I dont want to fuck up a job, I send it to someone who is paid not to fuck up a job...

12. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

GuzziHero you've got a very good Dealer near you.

Decades ago I owned a Toyota Supra that I took to a local Dealer to fix a minor problem. I was later warned about that shop by my Alfa Mechanic never to go back. You see a couple of the Mechanics that worked there were able to do "standard shop time" repairs in less than 1/2 the time. Those Mechanics would just omit a few steps/bolts/attachments on every job they did. The Service Manager knew this and kept his mouth shut because it made him look good.

After that I only took the Supra across town to a different Dealer.

Now I can't remember when the last time was that I've taken my wife's or my car into the shop for work. The down side is all my kids are after me to fix their cars - the upside is I see my kids more.

13. john zibell

It is possible to beat flat rate time, with practice, without cutting any corners. Flat rate is the manufactures/importers estimated time to perform a task for the average mechanic. For example, the flat rate time for a clutch on a Tonti bike is 6 hours, I usually do the job in 4. I owned a 1983 CA II that required a clutch replacement every 4,000 miles because the clutch wouldn't disengage. Needless to say, I got plenty of practice. As a result of this bike, MGNA worked with Guzzi to develop the double plate system used in later bikes.

14. GuzziHero

Long story short, they bent the exhaust valve and replaced it all.

But now the stepper motor has an electrical fault. its misfiring and the headlight keeps dimming. i can ride it with the stepper motor bypass active (aka no stepper motor) but as soon as I turn that on it stutters and farts. So it has to go back in for that to be rectified.

15. john zibell

Don't you hate a maintenance induced failure!!

16. GuzziHero

Well, added to the fact that I bought a Benelli Tornado on the 11th May, and since the 15th it has been back in the workshop waiting for a new camchain tensioner, I sure do!

17. GuzziHero

I am now convinced that, with the position of the stepper motor under the tank, that a wire has been pulled or damaged when they put the tank back on.

18. GuzziHero

For some reason the earth wire for the stepper motor bypass was dangling free as a bird. Must have been making/breaking earth with the top of the motor. I got this sorted.