• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Model Advice - Tonti Framed Guzzi

JAS

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi everyone:

I am looking for some advice on buying a Tonti Framed Guzzi. I already have CARC and Spine Framed Guzzis and want to finish off the collection, and am wondering what model to go for. I like the looks of the LeMans series (Mk1-3) however I really want something more comfortable and not so expensive. I don't like the looks of cruiser (or their riding position), so the California series is out.

I really want one of the old school big fly wheeled / small valve Guzzis which pull all the way from idle. Comfort wise I prefer bikes with pegs a little further back and bars a little lower, so that I can lean forward a bit and can support my weight partly with my feet / arms, not having ridden a Tonti Framed Guzzi, i don't know which one to go for. I have been thinking about the following models:

1. 1000sp (number 1 pick)
2. G5
3. T3/4
4. Mille

Any other possible models I have missed?

I am 6ft 3" (188cm) / 176lb (80kg), am I going to have clearance issues with my knees with any of these models? Especially the 1000sp, which I hear the fairing around the cylinders can interfere with the knees?

I am just keeping an eye on the classifieds now, if something comes up nearby that looks good, I want to move fast and be confident the model suits me in terms of comfort. Looks / feel wise is not an issues as I am sure I would be happy with any of these models.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,
My intro to things Mandello made was back in '82 when I bought a brand new Mk III Le mans. So I'm a little biased.
As a young man it was by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, still, in so far as I could ride for 24 hours non-stop, covering 2,300klm, get off the bike and go to work.

Now at 55 wrists and neck joints etc. have copped a flogging so something a little less racy is easier.
The Mk III was fitted with clip-ons but the top triple clamp had handle bar clamps hidden by the rubber instrument pod. When you get old and doddery like me you could fit flat bars and the like.

Le Mans with std rear set pegs will give you more leg room, compared to the std pegs on the models you listed.
Le Mans may cost more now, but consider it an investment.
1982, brand new $5,500
2002, I bought a good condition 2nd hand Mk III for $7,500
2012, last time I looked the same will cost $10,000 plus, here in Oz.

Also owned an SP but didn't get to ride it much.
A Cali Mk II, no issues covered about 30,000k
2001 Cali Stone, only half the mods that Todd's "Beast" has but it was still a serious weapon. Just add a decent set of shocks 1" longer than standard, and drop the front yoke 10-13mm. Turns real well, heaps of ground clearance and scares Jap sports bikes in the tight stuff.

Greatest thing about a Tonti frame, you can turn it into any model Tonti you want, its like plug-n-play.

Good luck!

My buddy is 6'4" he had a LMs3, he ended up selling because his knees got banged on the cylinders each time he hit a pot hole. He doesn't have that problem on my SP. But I have removed the lower fairings, they bugged me sometimes too and I'm 5'-11".

The early SP (slate grey) the bluish one, has the same foot pegs as the LMs 1 & 2. The SP-NT (red/white) has the T-3/G-5 foot pegs.

On my T-3, I got away from the OE handle bars and got the SP bars, also removed the turn signals and installed the angular black two bulb tail light that was OE on the SP/LMs2. Looks simple with nice lines. I find the handle bar and peg combination is very comfortable. Upright but slightly leaned forward. Also have a 1000 jugs and Rita ignition, so yeah, nice power from idle. Could stand better brakes though. The fact that your driving modern bike may lead you to up grading the brake on a tonti.

good luck on your hunt.

Ghezzi; I understand where you are coming from about the Le Mans series, however the small framed bikes (mk1-3) don't provide enough leg room and cost is simply a big factor in the bike selection. I really need to limit the purchase to around $7000, which is not going cover a Le Mans in decent shape here in Australia. The later mk4-5 are cheaper and have a bigger frame, however I don't like the looks.

Rafael, from you friend's experience, seems like the sp is the way to go. I prefer the look of the early model sp (1000sp 78-80 and 1000sp NT 80-83), so will be looking for one of these. I assume from your description that the early 1000sp with the mk1/2 footpegs, had the pegs further back than the 1000sp NT?

One further question, could the Le Mans 1/2 footpegs be retrofitted to the SP NT if required?

EDIT: Just read the post on Wild Guzzi, seems to answer the rest of my questions: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cb3fec6c89f2537bffc158e0c336f011&topic=31322.40

Thanks,

Jason

Good find on WG. Do you have Guzziology? Good source for chronological design revisions to models.

Yes, the pegs and controls are a little farther back; my guess about 1.5 inch. And yes, since the frame are just about the same if not exactly the same the peg and control levers are interchangeable. The issue that remains to be resolved is fitting the muffler. The different systems came with different mufflers.

I use a LMs rear brake lever on my SP, better ergo for me but the damn tip still interferes with the header pipe. So much for hand crafted parts :dry:

More on my buddy's experience. He had a LMs 3, it was the first BB with square heads. I think that contributed to the knee banging. Think the seat height had something to do with it as well. Knee straightens with a higher seat. He also had a Corbin seat, which is lower than my SP.

G-5s varied by model year too, The later years had more common parts. such as seat rail and tail light comes to mind.

Rafael:

Have been mulling over buying Guzziology for a while, guess I should go ahead and get a copy now. Buying from moto International on ebay is fine, postage to Australia however nearly doubles the price.....

I am in no rush to buy, so if an sp comes up for sale nearby, I will go over and have a look at it and take it for a spin and see how comfortable I am on it and then go from there.

Thanks for the advice,

Jason

Have been mulling over buying Guzziology for a while, guess I should go ahead and get a copy now. Buying from moto International on ebay is fine, postage to Australia however nearly doubles the price.....
Hi Jas Guzziology is available through Guzzi club Vichttp://www.motoguzziclubvic.asn.au/Regalia.html
The shot show version 6 but they list new stock so hopefully its a later issue tho' that wont matter for earlier Tonti models

Back