• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

monoshock conversion

Luka

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just seen some pics of a Guzzi cafe racer with a monoshock conversion to a Tonti frame,

does anyone know where this can be done or where to get the parts needed to do it ?
Appreciate any links ?

Luka

guzzibob wrote:
Why? Because you can?

All I want to find out is the information to be able to do it.
In answer to your question, I am planning a cafe racer and
I really like the Zagatto and OB1 pics Ive seen.
so I want to look into how to do it.
Why not ?
Its not a discussion, I am finding out facts and will decide to
either do it or not when I have found out ?
Plus I like the look of it, thats it.
Anything to do with cafe racers will be subjective.

Not too hard. Simply build a swingarm or modify yours, relocate the battery and associated battery area stuff elsewhere. Do the sums to work out where the best place on the frame spine is to take the loadings. Work out the spring rate required for the geometry. Find or have built a suitable shock. Mount it all up. Get it roadworthied and you're done and dusted.

It won't handle any better or go any faster, in fact it will still be a 30 year old obsolete motorbike that has been fucked about with so you think it looks pretty. If that's what you want? go for it. But there is no 'Kit'. this shit is all DIY.

pete

well thanks for the opinion guys, I think I get the picture now.
I was hoping to find some links to people who might do this kind of work.
I am sure you realise how difficult this kind of job is and to suggest that you just knock one up and that its a diy job
is over simplifying what is a complex bit of frame re-jigging.
I am amused by your use of the word 'obsolete' for the guzzi ?
surely all guzzis are obsolete in that case ? Are the modern ones really so different ?
even the manufacturers are going back to basics with the new V7.
I think the older models and their engines are of a far superior build quality
in terms of engineering (electrics aside !).
Its why they are still so popular now , I thought thats why sites like this existed ?
So as you can see I disagree that they are obselete, and I will investigate
the frame and bike build elsewhere, where people are interested.

Chilll Luka..................... somefolks on here don't get that some of the fun is trying something differant, and yes just because you can. I've done a lot of things to bikes and hot rods of the years that didn't make them much better or sometimes worse, but it was fun and a great learning curve and that's one of the things I enjoy. Everyone's in motorcycles for differant reasons, but alot think we are in it for the same thing, no we share a same theme (motorcycles) but we are all drawn to differant aspects. Look at Harleys, sport bikes, vintage MX, Modern and vintage trials, custome bikes and restoration bikes. Sooooooooo if you want to play with your frame go to it bud, and of course post pics so some of us can learn stuff. As far as improving an archaic style frame, go ride with Todd for a day, then you can tell all the folks how terrible slow that old style frame is (WTF) ?!?!?!?! Todd if your reading this, post the pic of your foot pegs you sent me awhile back. or better yet post the video's I bug you about you did on NYE last year.

Luka wrote:
well thanks for the opinion guys, I think I get the picture now.
I was hoping to find some links to people who might do this kind of work.
I am sure you realise how difficult this kind of job is and to suggest that you just knock one up and that its a diy job
is over simplifying what is a complex bit of frame re-jigging.
I am amused by your use of the word 'obsolete' for the guzzi ?
surely all guzzis are obsolete in that case ? absolutely! and so are we the owners.

Are the modern ones really so different ?
even the manufacturers are going back to basics with the new V7.
I think the older models and their engines are of a far superior build quality LOL! you must be daft!
in terms of engineering (electrics aside !).
Its why they are still so popular now , I thought thats why sites like this existed ?
So as you can see I disagree that they are obselete, and I will investigate
the frame and bike build elsewhere, where people are interested. we are interested, post some pics.
IMG_1737.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

Luka wrote:
Just seen some pics of a Guzzi cafe racer with a monoshock conversion to a Tonti frame,
Does anyone know where this can be done or where to get the parts needed to do it ?
Appreciate any links?
Luka, sorry you got a bunch of Winter-Blue replies.
I may know where a take-off mono rear swingarm is. Ed of GuzziTech here removed one off of our buddy Nick's Guzzis to race (largely because the rear shock was the issue). The bike resides at Moto Guzzi Classics in Long Beach, CA and Fader (of this Forum) works there. I do not know of the history of the swingarm, but from memory it was fairly well done. Perhaps it was a modded stock swingarm, but Fader should be able to comment more on it.

Also, yes, there were several posts of a guy who was in the middle of his own completely custom version on the crashed Forum. I'm really working hard to get it revived.

Dinosaur or not, Tonti's still rule... and I have yet to have a "modern Guzzi" run with mine. ;)

The videos talked about above HERE.

Peg photos:
TE-Jackpeg2.jpg

TE-Jackpeg.jpg

For the monoshock conversion, you basically triangulate the upper swingarm and connect it via a shock to the frame cross member under the seat. 1990's Ducati 900ss Showa shocks are good for this conversion. Have a shock in hand before you do the conversion as the length will determine your geometry. There is no kit...you have to fabricate everything.

Ed

Geez, aren't we sensitive.... I asked why you are doing it cause most people who do this kind of thing do so because they think they will get better handling-which in most cases they will not. Instead they will spend a ton of time & money & in most cases wind up with something that handles worse than what they started with, & silly me I wanted to save you the trouble, or at least make it clear what you were in for. If you are doing it for the fun of it and/or cause you think it will look cool, hell, I understand that, go for it & good luck. Looks like Todd & Ed may be able to make it a lot easier. As for Pete Roper's post-that's just his general attitude & sense of humor. Those who have seen lots of his posts understand that, nothin' personal in it. By all means go forth & experiment, hope it goes well & you post the results here where many will enjoy it.

OK?

Thanks for all the contributions, all gratefully received thankyou !
Its funny how attitude can be mis-conveyed in messages and I suffer with that as much as most.
To tell you the truth, I used to have Guzzis many years ago and of course I appreciate they re getting a bit old now.
But having just got back into biking after a few years layoff I was intrigued to find so many cafe racer style bikes using guzzi engines and they really caught my imagination to want to do one, and have some fun making it up .
I have done some construction and welding fabrication before when I used to restore vintage vehicles and am well aware of the challenges of such a job.
As I was looking for some inspiration I found the Zagatto cafe racers, and just think they are a bit different, and clearly liked by most people that have seen them too.

I will probably make up something that will be simpler to start with and I found this one which is kind of the style I am trying to achieve,

guzzitech wrote:
For the monoshock conversion, you basically triangulate the upper swingarm and connect it via a shock to the frame cross member under the seat. 1990's Ducati 900ss Showa shocks are good for this conversion. Have a shock in hand before you do the conversion as the length will determine your geometry. There is no kit...you have to fabricate everything.
Per above, be sure the shock is set it to work in the correct geometry like your conversion. Many will not work. Ed, do you have the old mono swingarm still?

guzzibob wrote:
Geez, aren't we sensitive.... I wanted to save you the trouble, or at least make it clear what you were in for.

Sensitive.....????

I thought he was pretty polite considering you forgot to introduce your self as "Safety Bob"!!B)

Luka, I replied to your PM. Here is a pic of my Loop Frame racer, just to give you an idea that there are a lot of us on this forum that like to do it different. SF
loop.jpg

Very cool looking racer !
bit radical for the road but like the style.
especially like the seat /tail section, did you make that up yourself ?
What sort of spec are the engine internals up to ?
have you ever used or tried a monoshock,
I am begining to think its more trouble than ts worth !

SgtCrump wrote:
guzzibob wrote:
Geez, aren't we sensitive.... I wanted to save you the trouble, or at least make it clear what you were in for.

Sensitive.....????

I thought he was pretty polite considering you forgot to introduce your self as "Safety Bob"!!B)

mea culpa......

Fader......... Damn that's purty! Todd, hopefully Luka will look at the peg picture closely ;) Thanks for the link to the right coast rides (LOL).... hey it was 65 here yesterday and yes we took advantage of it !!!!

Ok Ok ! I get the footrest B)

I was just impressed by the Zagatto pics I saw and just thought it was such a cool take on the Tonti frame that I just hadnt seen before ?
Ive been out of circulation for a while on 4 wheels, :S
just got the bug again and want a project to have some fun with, but your all probably right, they look fine just as they are.

Luka

The front half of the seat is a stock Civilian bench seat. I cut it in half then fabbed the rear aluminum piece to it, then had a local guy upholster it. The tank is from my '77 Husqvarna CR250. I've never tried the monoshock, too much time/money to waste on a Loop Frame. It handles as well as it will. Engine was at the time a mild (52hp at the wheel) 750, but now the bike is apart waiting for me to get off my ass to make it breathe fire. If you have to have the cosmetics of the monoshock, go for it. But it won't necessarily make the bike handle any better. Remember twin shocks look cool too, and are easy, cheaper and proven.

Thanks for the comments

Back