• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

(more) EICMA news

GuzziMoto said:
WitchCityBallabio said:
GuzziMoto said:
I don't think the Griso is "old and boring", nor the MGS-01. And if you want to appeal to the "20 somethings", do you really think it is just a matter of fancy new designs with more shiny bits? Are we trying to attract "20 somethings", or birds?

I would say the new designs represent more than just "fancy new designs". The look to me to be completely new (updated) engineering. From the rumors, much lighter, which of course will translate into a machine that is a lot of fun to ride. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

IMO when you put the Griso next to these new designs, it does in fact look dated. With regards to the MGS01, I think they're closer to that but just missing the fairing.
Uhmmm... They appear to be powered by the new 8 valve motor, which is not very light so the new bikes are likely in the same weight range as the current bikes. Same power to weight as well.
Put a Griso next to these and the Griso will look like a motorcycle and these new ones look like toys. The best comparison I can see is they are much like the goofy concept cars you see at the Japanese auto show. Styling execises that are very creative but lack substance and practicality.

The rumor is 400 lbs. dry, which by my calculations is about 100 lbs. lighter than my Ballabio with a motor making at least 10 more hp at the wheel. I'm no mathematician but if I believe that represents a serious difference in power to weight at least to my Ballabio, and I would guess a pretty good improvement over the 8v Griso.

While the Griso is okay looking (I still don't really get the whole power cruiser niche), it never interested me enough to buy one. These do. They look fast, flickable and fun.

If the rumors turn out to be untrue, then Guzzi will have yet another tarted up bike with mundane performance and a missed opportunity.

Rumors mean nothing. If the bike is indeed powered by the new 8 valve motor then there is not much they can do to lighten it up with out throwing money at it in the form of light weight wheels and such. The motor and drive train is the heaviest part of the bike and the majority of the weight. Without a new drive train there is little they can do about the weight. All their bikes would benefit from lighter weight and more power, but even the small block bikes are hard pressed to get down to 400lbs. The V11 spine frame bikes were about as minimal as you can make a bike and they weighed over 470 lbs as I recall, most of that due to the weight of the drive train. Lighter wheels, forks, and sub-frame could drop maybe 40 lbs, but without a lighter drive train you are not gonna drop 100 lbs.
Don't get me wrong. I would love to see a light weight, liquid cooled, 4 valve per cylinder, V-twin or even V-four. But there is nothing presented at this show to make me think that one is coming.
By the way, there is nothing "cruiser" about a Griso. It is merely a new version of the classic Italian GT bike. The name "power cruiser" does not fit the bike.

The MGS01 is an 8v with shaft drive. How much does that weigh?

It's possible to use that engine, transmission, drive in a moderately light weight package.

From what I've read the MGS 01 weighs between 423 and 427 lbs dry, and that is with no street equipment, light weight wheels, forks, and other parts. The MGS 01 is a very minimalist bike (for a Guzzi). It would be hard to achieve those numbers with a street legal Guzzi with the current drive train options. With street parts and a CARC drive train you would likely weigh more, which puts you near the weight of a V11.
Show me a modern Guzzi drive train and I will get exited. Show me a plasticky tarted up show bike (or worse yet a Guzzi dressed up as a supermoto, the very thought makes me gag and I race supermoto) and I will think "think of what all that money could have reaped if it had been spent on real development of a modern drive train".

Well, what Guzzi has is a big lump of transverse V-twin. That has to remain . Seems a similar situation exsisted at BMW.

The Griso handles very well given it is not real light or short, but it does handle well! I think Guzzi has done a great job with this bike and I would bet it will become a future classic. It's an honest design, headlamp, frame, mechanicals all expressed and complemented by a distinctive bodywork that is not a copy of anything else. In many ways it is a traditional motorcycle.

What I would like...or be interested in...without a new engine design....

100hp 8v cafe racer based on the big block. Ducati and triumph have them, Norton almost had one...sad it didn't make it... This makes sense for Guzzi and the cafe racer is a very european thing, still of interest to many motorcyclists! Having the Guzzi transverse twin making 100HP makes this an exciting bike, one that outpowers the Ducati Sport(s) and GT 1000 models as well as the Triumph Thruxton. Don't know the sales numbers on the Bonnevilles, Thruxtons and Ducati? But...this type of bike makes sense for a Guzzi...especially since many older Guzzi's become crafted into these machines anyway!

I would also like to see a real world scrambler type bike, rugged, crude even, same engine as above tuned differently, same frame, 1" extra ground clearance, skid plate, off road pipes, racks, black headlamp, traditional (not designer goofy) fuel tank, bars, windscreen and all of the other stuff. Lets put aluminum luggage on the thing, big comfortable seating. This would be a perfect bike for adventure markets and it would be a NEW classification. Better for shorter riders, riders not wanting such a huge adventure machine but the bike could be just as useful especially as many of these adventure machines don't get used off road and some others are only softly suited for graded dirt and gravel, both of which a scrambler could do just as well and Moto Morini seems to be getting decent reviews of their similar machine. Timing would be good for this kind of machine I think?

Both of these could be done using the assets MotoGuzzi has already. It's almost too easy...

vivo

Can't help add to my Scrambler proposal.... it would look great in Moto Guzzi red paint, gold pinstriping...hey just like them older Moto Guzzi's... sort of building on the heritage

well, I'm excited anyway... maybe I should look for a Guzzi to convert into this machine? love the idea! Like the sexy aluminum boxes too... crash bars.... driving lamps...

vivo

vivo said:
Can't help add to my Scrambler proposal.... it would look great in Moto Guzzi red paint, gold pinstriping...hey just like them older Moto Guzzi's... sort of building on the heritage

vivo
God I hate red....
As long as they have another color as an option, and BLACK is not a color.

Back