• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

.. more Ethanol added to gas in the US ?

rturo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Picked this up from the NYTIMES - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/busin ... &st=Search

Automakers Seek to Delay Ethanol Blending Raise
By MATTHEW L. WALD Published: May 4, 2010
WASHINGTON — Citing new test data, the auto industry says the federal government’s plan to raise the amount of ethanol mixed into gasoline will damage cars and increase the amount of pollution they emit.

The EPA is expected to issue a rule in the next few weeks that would permit oil companies to increase the percentage of ethanol in automotive fuel to 15 percent, up from the current level of 10 percent, so they can meet E.P.A. quotas for renewable fuels.

Automakers have opposed the change since the E.P.A. first signaled it last year. But now the industry says it has conducted tests that confirm the higher-ethanol blend will cause problems in many cars.

Half of the engines tested so far have had some problems, said C. Coleman Jones, the biofuel implementation manager at General Motors, who spoke on behalf of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

More ethanol will confuse exhaust control systems and make engines run too hot, destroying catalytic converters, automakers say. It can also damage engine cylinders, they say.

For some car owners, “you will be walking, eventually,” Mr. Jones said. The industry is urging the E.P.A. to delay any changes to the fuel mix until after 2011, when more complete testing will be done.

An E.P.A. spokeswoman declined to discuss the E.P.A.’s specific plans beyond its November letter, in which the agency said it planned to make a decision by midyear. The agency said at that time that it was leaning toward allowing the change.

While the change is intended to apply only to cars of the 2001 model year and newer, it’s unclear how it would be enforced at the pump.

The ethanol industry argues that the proposed rule is essential for reducing reliance on imported oil. Ethanol makers say that most cars will run just fine on 15 percent ethanol and oil companies are standing in the way only because they want to hold on to market share. Bob Dinneen, president of the Renewable Fuels Association, said enough test data was available to approve the new blend. “You just see all this hand-wringing,” he said.

The underlying problem is that the gasoline market is about to be flooded with more ethanol than it can handle under current rules, according to farm groups, oil companies and automakers. The current blend for ordinary cars is limited to 10 percent, but “we have lots of gallons of ethanol chasing too few gallons of gasoline,” Mr. Dinneen said.

Representatives of all three industries will meet in Washington on Wednesday, as they do every four months, to discuss their disagreements, but a compromise seems unlikely.

The automakers, the oil companies and the Energy Department are jointly running a test program in which components like fuel pumps and seals as well as entire cars are being run on ethanol blends of 15 percent and 20 percent.

One major reason for concern is that modern cars sense the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and use that measurement to modify the fuel/air mixture going into the cylinders. This works fine for straight gasoline. But the ethanol molecule contains an oxygen atom, and that may confuse the sensor into making the mixture too lean; lean engines produce exhaust hot enough to damage catalytic converters, industry experts say, and may also produce more nitrogen oxides, an ingredient of smog.

If the mixture gets too lean, the “check engine” light will also illuminate. Auto executives predict that if that happens repeatedly on cars, their owners will ignore the light, and cars will run dirty.

Looks like more work for Todd on the DYNO if this comes to pass unchecked. Not often I see a benefit in paying $8+ a gallon for (low ethanol high octane) gas in England :(

Art
B1100

I hate Ethanol!!! they forgot to add how much more water will be in our gas from the alcohol attraction :(

I am confused....
Every motor vehicle I have bought in the last 15 or 20 years it seems has had a statement in the manual saying that you can run Gasoline containing 15% ethanol or less. So why is it an issue now?
And who came up with this statement, "But the ethanol molecule contains an oxygen atom, and that may confuse the sensor into making the mixture too lean; lean engines produce exhaust hot enough to damage catalytic converters, industry experts say", That does not even make sense. If ethanol adds extra oxygen atoms (which it does, and that is a good thing), that don't initially get burned, then the O2 sensor will sense them and tell the computer to add MORE fuel not less.
If other countries like Brazil can do what they do, why is it that we can't even do what we planned to do?

I've heard alcohol makes engines run lean and hot. It can't be better than straight gasoline, or they would have added it to fuel years ago. It's being added now because it's a renewable fuel, not because it's a better fuel.

We don't have much of a choice. It's all they sell at the pumps. I've seen small drums of racing gasoline for sale, it's an alternative, but a pricey one. Wish there was another option.

Joe

sign216 said:
I've heard alcohol makes engines run lean and hot. It can't be better than straight gasoline, or they would have added it to fuel years ago. It's being added now because it's a renewable fuel, not because it's a better fuel.

They did add it to fuel years ago.

I've been using gas with 10% ethanol since the 80's; this is not something new.

Not only is it not new, but ethanol burns cooler then gasoline and does not "make engines burn leaner or hotter".
I am not saying it is superior to straight gasoline, it does have issues. The biggest one seems to be its tendency to absorb water and the resultant corrosion from the water. But it does work (ask anybody from Brazil). There is a lot of fear mongering and panic about ethanol but most of it is not based in reality. Where I live we have had 10% ethanol for something like 20+ years with no problems. Adding 5% more just is not going to make a big difference.

Ethanol makes the engine burn leaner, hotter, and shortens engine life. If the Brazilian and American govts want to support internal corn farmers by mandating ethanol, good for them. But don't add it and say "it's better."
Here are references;

http://www.ewg.org/biofuels/report/Ethanol-Health-Risks-and-Engine-Damage

http://www.opei.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/1926

http://www.boatus.com/membership/email/PDF/ethanol.pdf

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ho...up-growth-energy-opei-lawn-mower-engines.html

Sign...

Great info on what clearly is "special interests science". (Big money corn) Hey same guys that brought us margarine, what a surprise! No MORE stupidity from our government pleeease!!!

I wasn't all that happy when my 2000 Triumph Speed Triple's fuel tank began to make dime sized bubbles under the perfect paint!!! I no longer have the bike but I'm not going to be very happy when and if my Griso's fuel tank developes similar defects and I've no doubt ethanol is to blame...

vivo

sign216 said:
Ethanol makes the engine burn leaner, hotter, and shortens engine life. If the Brazilian and American govts want to support internal corn farmers by mandating ethanol, good for them. But don't add it and say "it's better."
Here are references;

http://www.ewg.org/biofuels/report/Ethanol-Health-Risks-and-Engine-Damage

http://www.opei.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/1926

http://www.boatus.com/membership/email/PDF/ethanol.pdf

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ho...up-growth-energy-opei-lawn-mower-engines.html
I don't think anybody has said that ethanol is "better" (except in your post). But it is a fact that Brazil has been running ALL their road vehicles on ethanol/gasoline mix (they are up to 25% now I believe). I am not saying that ethanol is "better", in fact I am not a fan of the corn ethanol industry. But my opinion is not scientific basis for an argument against corn ethanol. Another fact is that ethanol burns at a lower temp then gasoline. Ethanol does contain extra molecules of oxygen, which could be an issue in older vehicles. The quote from the NY Times about the effect of ethanol on O2 sensor equipped engines was completely wrong and displayed a lack of understanding. (but there is a lot of that around when it comes to this subject) Older vehicles with non-self adjusting fuel systems (ie. carbs and non O2 equipped fuel injection) may need their mixture richened up slightly, but the difference between 10% ethanol and 15% ethanol is a very small difference in the fuel mixture and not likely to be an issue for most vehicles. If it was designed to run properly on 10% it would likely run fine on 15%. It is the vehicles that were not designed to run on ethanol at all that would have the most issues. But in the USA all road vehicles have been mandated to be able to run on up to 15% ethanol since the 80"s I believe. So that leaves off road vehicles and vehicles from the 70's and earlier. You guys are going to have to do a little work to make your stuff work. But unless you haven't been driving/riding for a long time you already should have done that work since 10% ethanol is not much different from 15%. Both would likely cause issues for you (assuming the "experts are right about ethanol to begin with).

i would stop worrying and be happy.

Ethanol is a constituent of fuel anywhere pretty much where you have real winter. It is not a perfect fuel but it does run cooler, burns cleaner and is less susceptible to detonation - which is why grass track motors and such run it. It has less energy density so you don't get as good mileage and it absorbs water - this is not a bad thing if you have water in your tank as it actually removes the water that pools in the bottom or sweats on the top of the tank. Running 100% alcohol is also somewhat harder on rings and bores but I don't think there is anything to worry about at less than 15%. Indeed many Canadians go out of their way to find ethanol blends as it tends to keep your injectors clean.

If you are truly worried about corrosion on your tank then you might throw in a bit of two stroke oil from time to time but if you have an O2 sensor not so much as to cause it grief. Yes in high volumes it will attack some materials but this in effect doesn't happen at 10-15%. I ran a grass track Eso motor on 100% alcohol and didn't see anything.

I too think alcohol from corn is not the way to energy independence but produced from waste and marginal cropland it is not a bad idea.

I remember when lead was banned there were (and still are) many who thought the world was ending. Removing lead was IMO one of the best things the petrochemical has done (albeit with a gun to their heads). Engine design suddenly became a lot more serious, engines last longer (remember when a valve job was a regular activity?) and hopefully the collective intelligence of the human race is improving.

If you want to worry then look at some of the additives like MTBE that scare even Detroit.

Erm, wake up guys.

Ethanol has less energy per volume than gasoline, so you need more ethanol-rich fuel than ethanol-poor fuel. Increasing ethanol levels is supposedly a measure to decrease CO2 emissions, but the question is whether that's true. Esp. if you take the production of said ethanol into consideration. And that's not even mentioning the side-effects on food production and prices.

Europe is seeing an increase from the current 5% (E5) to 10% (E10), and this is not going down too well. I don't know what the real value of those stickers on US vehicles is, but *all* major producers here are testing, and a big one like Yamaha has issued a formal statement NOT to use E10 in ANY of their line-up until at least 2009, but only use regular 95 (E5) or 98 octane fuels. There's too much risk of corrosion, and of dilating hoses.
The problem is apparently big enough that the German government has decided to back out of the whole issue, indefinetely.

Of course vehicles *can* be adapted/conceived to run on ethanol - even here there are some that run on 85% ethanol fuel. But that's not the issue nor the question. The question is whether YOUR vehicle was conceived for that kind of fuel, and (if not,) how it will react.

Yes, ethanol does contain less energy per gallon then gasoline. And depending on how it is manufactured it may require as much or more energy to produce then it contains.
But every street legal vehicle sold in the USA for the last umteen years has been certified to be able to run on a mix of gas and ethanol not to exceed 10% ethanol. My vehicles have run 10% or more for ages now with no ill effect. It does decrease fuel mileage when the ethanol content goes up, but it does reduce certain forms of pollution output as a trade off. But the biggest reason to add ethanol is to reduce the amount of oil based gasoline required to get our over weight SUV's from point A to point B. Since we as a group seem averse to small fuel efficient cars.
I am not a big fan of ethanol, but I hate the kind of mindless aversion/panic that things like adding ethanol or removing lead seem to bring about.
Does Yamaha not sell motorcycles in Brazil?
I know they sell a few in the USA with our gas/ethanol mix....

GuzziMoto said:
But the biggest reason to add ethanol is to reduce the amount of oil based gasoline required to get our over weight SUV's from point A to point B. Since we as a group seem averse to small fuel efficient cars.

After seeing this, I'll stick with the big vehicle.

Attachments

• Crushed-Smart-Car_htm.jpg
    Crushed-Smart-Car_htm.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 484
I am guessing that if you get sandwiched between two large dump trucks that it doesn't matter what you are in, unless you are also in a large dump truck, you are F'd.
Of course the irony is that we do not gravitate to "safer" vehicles but often to large SUV's that do not have high safety records.

Yeah, it made the rounds on the internet sayin it was a Smart car. It definitely is not. Apparently it was a Ford Escape, granted not a large SUV, but not a small car at all.
That is the nature of the internet. It often spreads mis-information faster then correct info.
In the end the best thing you can do to improve your own safety while driving is to drive safely.
But in this country you are often not held responsible for your actions behind the wheel and that has led to a mentality that promotes buying vehicles based on what will happen to you WHEN you hit something. But they are often misplaced beliefs that a larger car will automatically protect you more when you hit something then a smaller car will. The statistics do not seem to support this view and it ignores the increased chance of being in an accident that a larger vehicle brings.
This mentality does not surprise me anymore, but I am surprised to find it here.

Chris R said:
I remember when lead was banned ....... and hopefully the collective intelligence of the human race is improving.

Apparently they are still using leaded fuel in Washington DC.................

I don't know if its the ethanol fuel but my Rosso Corsa has developed a baseball size bump in the tank. For years I have spent the extra dollars for non ethanol fuel but the supplies have dwindled. I have now had issues with small engine stuff (one plastic float simply melted) and what seems to be more problems with water in the fuel tanks. I see stabil and others now have an ethanol treatment to counter some of the ethanol in the gas. If you ask me the stuff is crap!

Back