Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Moto Guzzi Nevada Gearbox/engine swap?

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Pexy13, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Pexy13

Pexy13 Just got it firing!

Greetings!
    I have a custom built scrambler from a 2002 Nevada.
    Is it possible to replace the stock 5 speed gearbox with a 6 speed one out of a V7iii?
    If it is is it a straight forward swap or will it require lots of fiddling around to make it work.
    Also is it possible to swap the entire engine and gearbox from a V7 to a nevada 750?

If you need any more information about the bike let me know.
    Also if something like this is possible but not swaping parts from a V7 also please share.

Thanks,
    Sven

2. Adamigo

Adamigo Just got it firing!

As long as I know, already the II's had swingarm fitting point moved lower, so defo gearbox swap can be troublesome(different swingarm? poss). Then III's are brand new design. If comes to full drivetrain swap, yours is carb not IE, am I right? Then entirely different electric loom, as well as air box, clocks, and who knows what else - make this idea far from realistic.
    What you could do, is to make sure what ratio your bevel drive is. It is quite likely you still got the longest one possible, and then gradually, through IE Brevas and Nevadas, V7 I, II - the ratio got shorter and shorter. Carb Nevadas were 8/31 ratio, whereas IE ones - 8/35. So - it is quite likely, all improvement caused by fitting 6-gear box would be eaten by final drive You can also explore wheel diameters and tyre ratios to make yours faster on top gear.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Pexy13 likes this.
  3. Pexy13

Pexy13 Just got it firing!

Thank you for the information. I also found more or less the same things while doing my research.
    I decided it would be best to do a complete overhaul over the winter so I now what's what on the bike insted of searching and buying an engine or gearbox and all that stuff.
    Thanks.