• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello Owners Review after 2000 km.

Imagilink

Just got it firing!
Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello Owners Review

After several test rides on the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S, I decided to order the V100 Mandello, the base model in white. I would like to share with you my first experiences with the V100 Mandello after having ridden it for more than 2,000 km. My experiences are from a personal point of view and are not meant to be objective.

Some of my own personal background
Please note that my ability to judge the new Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello is compromised by my limited experience with other motorcycle brands, my average riding experience and my conservative riding style.I have ridden many Guzzis since I got into motorcycling almost 25 years ago. The only side step I took was a BMW K75, which at the time I thought was a huge step forward for BMW with water cooling and fuel injection instead of air cooling and carburettors. But in the end I did not like that bike and returned to Moto Guzzi after only a year. Similar to the BMW K75, the V100 marks a big step forward for Moto Guzzi, being the first water cooled bike from the brand.

Design
I really like the look of the V100, especially when it comes in the colour white. From a distance, it reminds me of the white 850 Le Mans III that I used to own. White with orange touches, just as the V100 has now, but with a modern appearance. I can also see aspects of the fairing that recall the Quota 2nd series. Altogether a nice and attractive design.

Engine and transmission
The engine's performance is impressive. From low revs the pulling power is great and without hesitation. The sound at low revs is already beautiful and impressive, without the ticking of the valves and tappets as I am used to. Above 5000 revs, the engine sound swells to a true symphony.
Opening the throttle in neutral results in the bike tilting to the left instead of to the right as I am used to, which still takes some getting used to. After all, the older Guzzis tilt to the right, in the opposite direction. The engine revs idle quite a bit higher than the classic Guzzi's.
Engine braking is admittedly different between Sport and Touring, but not by much. That the old Guzzis have so much less engine braking is due to the much lower compression ratio and the much heavier flywheel on the oldies. Sometimes I think the flywheel is missing altogether.
The gearbox handles well. Finding neutral is never a problem. When the gear pedal is pushed up from a standstill, the gearbox always goes into neutral, accidental shifting into second gear is not possible. Shifting from neutral to first is accompanied by a loud knock. I have found that if I push the bike forward a little with my foot before shifting to first gear, the knock is less intense. However, this is not always possible in practice, especially in city traffic.

Driving position and handlebar controls
The riding position is active and slightly forward leaning, reminiscent of both a Le Mans and a V11 with straight handlebar. The brake and gear change pedals are well adjustable, both in height and distance from the pedal to the footrest. Adjustment is possible both by rotation of the pedal and by adjustment of the length of the handlebar system. I found it easy to find a pedal position which suited me.
The buttons on the handlebars are easy to use. I like the distribution of functions between left and right. On the right are the combined start and kill buttons and the driving profile and lighting modes. The left is for the other functions. The buttons took some getting used to, but I think they are well chosen. I like the fact that I can still reach the turn signal button with my left hand on the wheel and the clutch in. Unfortunately, the buttons are not retro-illuminated, which would have been a nice touch in the evening and night.
Vibration in the handlebars is remarkably low for a twin-cylinder Guzzi. As a test, I removed the weight from the handlebars and noticed no increase in vibration.

Ride quality and Steering
What stands out for me as a rider is the sheer peace and quiet of sitting in the saddle of the V100 Mandello, with very little disturbance from the wind flow or turbulence. The Adjustable Windscreen is part of an excellent wind protection system. Adjustability is not a gimmick. Both low and high settings have been used over the past 2000 kilometres. It is nice that the windscreen can be adjusted electronically from the handlebars. The effect of the wings is particularly noticeable when riding in the cold and rain. It keeps your hips and thighs out of the cold air stream.

The V100 is very confident on the road, with excellent road feel. My intended riding line is easy to plan and achieve. I find I can take corners easily and with more confidence than I am used to on the older Guzzis. The suspension is adjustable. The first few days and miles were spent trying to find a setting I liked. Eventually I found a setting that suited me, with firmer damping than the standard factory setting. I don't need an adjustable Öhlins setting for that. I am less happy with the adjustability of the spring preload of the rear shock absorber. The adjustment range of the front suspension is fine. But at the rear I would like the spring preload to be lower than the minimum setting now. I also think a progressive spring would be better for me. Again, the S model is not the answer. The rear spring preload is just as stiff as on the base model and it is not adaptive. Guzzi rightly calls it a semi-adaptive setting. A fully adaptive suspension, like some BMW models, controls both preload and damping. I find that the preload setting depends on personal preference and the length of the suspension travel, but above all on the rider's total weight when fully equipped. To put my experience into perspective, in my case that's 82kg with all my riding gear, including helmet and tank bag with disc brake lock.
I found the V100 to be quite a heavy bike. This was particularly noticeable when moving the bike in and out of the shed by hand, but also when manoeuvring the bike at low speed and changing direction abruptly in city traffic. Out of town, on country roads and on the motorway, the weight was never a problem. In fact, the S model feels substantial heavier than the base model. Guzzi states the same weight of 233kg without accessories for both models. Apparently Guzzi considers the Öhlins damping as an accessory. I suspect that the Öhlins suspension is the main reason for the subjective feeling that the S model is heavier than the base model. In this respect the base model has an edge over the S model as a sporty bike.
I have used the V100 for both short and long distances, such as an 800 km ride over two days. I find the seat very comfortable. I can easily ride for hours on this bike.

Brakes
One of the strong points is the brakes. They are very easy to control, both front and rear. The front brake never has an aggressive bite, and even after the brakes have warmed up through repeated braking, the excellent controllability remains. The fact that there is no disc oxidation after a ride in the rain is also a welcome improvement.

Equipement
The headlamp emits a huge amount of bright light. The eagle of the DRL is easily visible to other road users. I think the new LED lights are a huge improvement on the halogen lights I used before. The cornering lights do their job and it is fun to see them on and off, but I find them more of a gimmick than an improvement in visibility.
Ride by wire takes some getting used to. Sometimes there is an on/off effect. Especially when maintaining the lowest speeds at low revs. I never noticed this with the V11 and V7, so it cannot be the injection itself.
The comfort saddle is higher and more rounded than the standard saddle. It is also slightly higher. Even the lowered comfort saddle is slightly higher than the standard saddle. Funnily enough, I find the standard saddle more comfortable than the comfort saddle, although I can see the benefit of having the heating element in a saddle.
The cruise control is nice on long rides and you get used to it quickly. But when I ride a bike that doesn't have cruise control, I get used to it just as quickly, so I don't miss it.
The panniers are large and quite wide. The stated capacity is only 30 litres. But I find that the capacity of the panniers is halfway between the Hepco Becker Junior 30 litre and 40 litre panniers.
I had the heated handgrips fitted as an extra. What a job that was. The fairing and windscreen had to be removed to get to the connectors. A welcome luxury I was not used to before. Of course, with thin summer gloves I feel the heat more than with thick winter gloves. When riding in winter, I can get away with less thick gloves, which improves the riding experience.

Fuel consumption
I found the fuel consumption to be high during the first few kilometres, between 1:16 and 1:17 km/l. However, this quickly improved on longer journeys and I recorded a consumption of between 1:18.5 and 1:21.1 km/l. I hope that the fuel consumption will improve over time. The slightly higher consumption, combined with the smaller tank than I am used to, results in a lower than desirable range. Especially considering the comfort of the bike, which allows many hours of uninterrupted riding.

Built quality and Reliability
The paintwork is of reasonable quality. The panels are reasonably flush, but no more than that. My white bike has a three coat paint system. A white basecoat, followed by a transparent mica metallic paint and finally an opaque high gloss clearcoat. The effect is a nice white colour with lots of optical depth, unfortunately there is a slight difference in colour between the different panels, with the side panels being slightly darker than the other parts.
The cases have removable matte grey panels. It seems to me that at the design stage Guzzi left open the possibility of painting the panels in colour. I have had the panels painted in colour and I am very pleased with the way they look.
As for reliability, I can report that I have had no problems for the first 2000 kilometres.

Conclusion
Is the V100 Mandello still a real Guzzi after the change to water cooling, or is it more like an Aprilia Tuono V100? In my opinion the design of the V100 fits very well into the Moto Guzzi range over the years. Of course you can't deny the Aprilia influence on the design, but I still think it's a modern Guzzi. I'm glad to see it on the market.

Pros: Nice design and nice white mica metallic colour. Good wind protection with low turbulence. Powerful engine. Road handling gives great confidence, steering is very light and precise. Plenty of luggage space with panniers.

Cons: High idle revs. Limited range. Noticeable knock when shifting into first gear. Rear suspension preload adjustment leaves something to be desired, as the lowest preload setting is still too much for me. Substantial weight felt when manoeuvring by hand in the shed and when manoeuvring through city traffic.

And now I want to hear from you. Have you had similar or different experiences? Does the V100 Mandello appeal to you? Or maybe it has sparked your interest, but you are still waiting for the V100 Stelvio?

V100 Mandello

Is the V100 Mandello still a real Guzzi after the change to water cooling, or is it more like an Aprilia Tuono V100? In my opinion the design of the V100 fits very well into the Moto Guzzi range over the years. Of course you can't deny the Aprilia influence on the design, but I still think it's a modern Guzzi. I'm glad to see it on the market.

And now I want to hear from you. Have you had similar or different experiences? Does the V100 Mandello appeal to you? Or maybe it has sparked your interest, but you are still waiting for the V100 Stelvio?
Fantastic summary and thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to post here. You'll find my thoughts in other posts here, but for your questions above, the time was inevitable for this to happen. I wonder if Piaggio/Aprilia was never involved, what bike we'd see sitting in your photo above. I'm not a fan of the styling, and your Quota and Le Mans thoughts are spot on, you've seen THIS post?

Many of the things that made me love Guzzis are now mostly gone with this model, and I don't just mean in the liquid cooling. The evolution of the engine in all models previously really showed the roots of lineage. Add to it the complexities of engine service, and they really start to lose me. That said, I would own one now if Piaggio didn't swing their lawyers at me for the name of this website, so they can...
the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

As an owner of two (2) Stelvios (first was a MY09, and currently a MY13), outside of the weight, I declare them as the best production Guzzi to date. A go anywhere, do anything motorbike. I am a touch disappointed in the spy photos, of it being a V100 with different wheels, but I won't state my thoughts until I see it at EICMA later this year.

If you click on the BUILDS tab at the top of the page, you will see what I wanted from them. I look forward to using the driveline from a crashed V100 to do the same.

As an aside, are you an Italia native, yes? Your english is very very good is the only reason I ask. Love having you here, and hope to see you here posting often.

Thanks for your comment. It was fun composing the text in English. I am adding some modifications to my V100. I will write a supplementary post on this in a future post.

I find the knock into first gear gets less after the bike has a few miles to warm up.

I am thrilled with my Mandello S with the exception of the gear box which is typical guzzi notchy but IMO a step backwards from my 10 year old Griso gearbox which works much better. There is some kind of neutral set up that is supposed to make it impossible to shift to second from a stop when trying to find neutral from 1st gear at a stop. Hate it.

I also find it tough to find neutral from 2nd like rolling into a light without sometimes not wanted to downshift into 1st. It works best above say 10mph but below this, you have to go down to first then if still rolling, it will shift up to second trying to find neutral if you don't have the touch of a diamond cutter. Then you have to wait to stop then a firm click up with put it into neutral. The whole set up is an unnecessary complication and anyone riding a 1000cc bike doesn't need this help.

Does anyone know if this is an electronic or mechanical set up? Would like to disable this.........

Update review Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello after 9000km

In an earlier post I shared my review of my Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello after completing the first 2000 km.
I have now traveled more than 9000 km and would like to give you an update of my initial review.

I can tell you that I think my V100 Mandello, especially in the color white, is a very beautiful motorcycle. The longer I own the V100 Mandello, the more I can appreciate its design.

Now that I have made more kilometers, the engine seems to run smoother and the gear shifting is also smoother. The engine has loads of torque. The annoying click when engaging first gear from a standstill has remained. It is unfortunately a natural consequence of the wet clutch, which has replaced the dry clutch on the air cooled Guzzi's.

The V100 Mandello is most at home when traveling longer distances. Then I notice how efficient the compact fairing is. The fairing guides the air in a way that as a rider I experience little turbulence. Of course there is wind noise, but annoying turbulence that manifests itself in the fluttering of clothing, for example, remains absent.

In my first review I was concerned about the fuel consumption. Especially on a motorcycle that I find ideally suited to cover long distances, I find a wide range important. The fuel consumption is now considerably lower than in the first months of use. In city traffic and short distances, the fuel consumption is still considerable and more than 5l/100 km. But especially on long distances, the fuel consumption drops to a pleasantly low value of around 4.5 l / 100 km, so that I have to refuel about once every 300 km.

My V100 Mandello, like many, also suffered from the cooling water leak. Fortunately, this was remedied by the dealer under warranty.

I have since made some modifications. The adjustable windshield is smoke colored in my European version. While I would find a clear screen much nicer on the white motorcycle. Fortunately I was able to purchase a clear screen. I think my bike is so much nicer, it's personal preference that hasn't changed the functionality of course. From Evotech-Performance I mounted the radiator protector and the TomTom mount for mounting on the handlebars. From SW-Motech I mounted the carter protector. When I see how rough the crankcase protection plate has become after 9000 km, I can only conclude that it has done its job well.

The luggage options of the V100 are enormous. The original luggage set is very good and showed to be waterproof. The interior space can be used even better with the Motorbike-Passion inner bags. Of my cases I had the matte gray color panels sprayed in the same high gloss pearl white color as the rest of my motorcycle. And I am very pleased with the result. I have fitted a Hepco & Becker luggage carrier so that I can attach not only more luggage but also the bag I take my dog in.
I mounted a tank bag from Givi on the tank. An adapter ring, type BF02, is required for mounting on the tank. My most used tank bag is the GIVI TanklockED Tank Bag ST605B. On vacation I used the Givi XS307. It is slightly more spacious and offers space for a few personal items, the motorcycle lock, a photo camera and a water bottle.

I spent a lot of time setting up the suspension on my V100. Since I'm not too heavy, about 70 kg, I made the following adjustments. At the front I had increased the preload to the maximum value and also increased the damping considerably. At the rear both the damping at minimum and the preload set at minimum value. At the front, I got the impression that the bike would benefit from more preload than the current range of control would allow. For example, the motorcycle dives too much when braking. At the rear, especially the damping was much too harsh when used solo. While in duo use the damping was pleasant. I got the impression that the rear damper is suitable for a rider weight from 90kg. And as I said, my weight is way below that.

As has happened to me more often if I start paying attention, the shortcomings seem to me to be increasingly difficult to digest and accept. I searched for a long time for a provider who would offer an adjustment for both the front fork and the rear shock. I hoped that Andreani would come up with a solution, but it was Matris who was the first to offer such an accessory, for both the front and rear suspension.

I have decided to buy the Matris front fork spring set and the rear shock absorber. I am now more than satisfied with the result. The spring characteristic has been greatly improved. This is evidenced by the extensive measurements of free sag and rider sag in the factory settings of the V100 and the factory settings of the V100S, which I was able to measure during the time I borrowed a V100S when my bike went in for a water leak repair. To my surprise, the measured free sag and riders sag now match the measured values of the V100S quite closely. But the damping is also more pleasant, helped at the front by a thicker oil than standard, helped at the rear by a much wider adjustment range.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the V100 Mandello. Of course I sometimes wonder whether I should not have purchased the V100S, of which it has now become clear to me that the suspension is clearly better than that of the standard model. On the other hand, I had a strong and decisive preference for the color white in combination with the gold-colored wheels. Now, after adjusting the suspension with the after market offer from Matris, I am satisfied with the choice made for the V100 base model.

Back