• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi V7 850 E5 the dry clutch sounds funny in neutral

fastlaners

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello my brother and I picked up our new V7 850 this weekend and put 200 miles on them; myself being 68 and haven’t ridden a motorcycle in over 35 years it took a little while to get used to ; but they do handle and run nice the only thing we questioned was when we put them in neutral you get a clattering sound out of the clutch and would get quiet when you pulled the clutch in; but with the clutch out it clatters quite a bit I’ve been reading that this is normal with dry clutches but would like more input on that thank you John

In 68 years you mean to tell me you’ve never heard a Ducati with a dry clutch? Seriously?

Granted the Ducatis are much louder than Moto Guzzi’ as they have a multi-plate dry clutches, but you’ll get the idea.

Welcome to the world of Italian dry clutches!

It’s normal. It’s supposed to sound like that.

Last edited:
You must have good ears, there's only 1 plate in yours but it does make noise if you are not used to it.
Cograts on the new bikes.

There is also some noise from the gearbox that you may be hearing because the input shaft is turning when the clutch is engaged in neutral.

Thanks for all your replies just glad to hear that’s part of the motor Guzzi‘s characteristics ; the only bike I had similar to this retro style was back in 1971; it was a 68 BSA lightning twin carbs chrome tank/red side panels what a beauty

Even wet clutches generally make a little noise when in neutral, but it's muffled by the oil and not as loud.

Hello my brother and I picked up our new V7 850 this weekend and put 200 miles on them; myself being 68 and haven’t ridden a motorcycle in over 35 years it took a little while to get used to ; but they do handle and run nice the only thing we questioned was when we put them in neutral you get a clattering sound out of the clutch and would get quiet when you pulled the clutch in; but with the clutch out it clatters quite a bit I’ve been reading that this is normal with dry clutches but would like more input on that thank you John
One of the things I like most about the Guzzi is the satisfying "clunk" when you shift gears - you know you've done it. On Japanese bikes the shift was so subtle I never knew for sure if I had done it. Remember, I think the Guzzi started life as a tractor motor. But then that's how the Lamborghini started too I think - or at least the founder was a tractor manufacturer.

Umm…

If you are preloading the shifter, as one should do with European style clutches (BMW, Moto Guzzi), then you will not have “clunk” sounds.

When you are ready to upshift, you put tension on the shift lever, raising it up with your foot to the point where it will almost want to shift gears but not quite, then when you roll off the throttle and quickly squeeze the clutch, the gearbox with instantly and quietly shift right into gear.

It takes a little finesse and getting used to, but once your learn how to do it, it will forever change the way you shift your Moto Guzzi.

I hate that “agricultural” reference because it’s actually not at all true. Moto Guzzi never made tractors or agricultural equipment, and there is nothing similar to the early military vehicles and Carcano’s 90 degree V twin design.

I can make virtually any Moto Guzzi shift smoothly by preloading the shifter. You can too.

☝️Agree with preloading the shifter. Discovered this on my own. Shifts are noticeably much smoother and faster. I didn't know it had to do with European clutches, thought it was just removing backlash from the system.

Umm…

If you are preloading the shifter, as one should do with European style clutches (BMW, Moto Guzzi), then you will not have “clunk” sounds.

When you are ready to upshift, you put tension on the shift lever, raising it up with your foot to the point where it will almost want to shift gears but not quite, then when you roll off the throttle and quickly squeeze the clutch, the gearbox with instantly and quietly shift right into gear.

It takes a little finesse and getting used to, but once your learn how to do it, it will forever change the way you shift your Moto Guzzi.

I hate that “agricultural” reference because it’s actually not at all true. Moto Guzzi never made tractors or agricultural equipment, and there is nothing similar to the early military vehicles and Carcano’s 90 degree V twin design.

I can make virtually any Moto Guzzi shift smoothly by preloading the shifter. You can too.
I've been preaching that technique since 1975. It actually works well on all motorcycles. Just don't pre-load very long. It could increase wear on the shift forks.

You can take the pre-loading concept even further and consider clutchless shifting. Works well at the correct RPM on my bikes with shared sump and chain drives, but never tried it with a Guzzi or BMW. Here's a good discussion:

THAT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA and I cannot believe Motorcyclist even approved that garbage!

IF you can precisely gauge when the gearbox is completely unloaded, and IF you can exact perfect timing, and IF you don’t mess up in the slightest…

However…

When you don’t get all of that 100% perfect, YOU WILL cause such a shock to be sent through your gearbox, that damage will be inevitable and extensive.

You will destroy your gearbox in short order doing that.

I guarantee it!

Where did idiotic things like this ever even get a leg to stand on?

It’s mind boggling.

If you want to know what your gearbox will look like from this advocated lunacy, just take a look. Your gear teeth will be chewed up something seriously bad, and all of those little chunks of metal that get busted off, well they whirl around inside of your gearbox causing mayhem everywhere they go...

All this potential damage and destruction, simply because you are too fricking lazy to squeeze the clutch to ensure the unloading of the gears before shifting? Seriously...

Motorcycle 696029 640

Images

Last edited:
Umm…

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, but I doubt I'll follow your advice. Seems to make it more complicated than necessary. After 62 years of riding I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. Interesting about the tractor thing - I don't know where I heard that - probably some YouTuber.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, but I doubt I'll follow your advice. Seems to make it more complicated than necessary. After 62 years of riding I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. Interesting about the tractor thing - I don't know where I heard that - probably some YouTuber.

Ok. Whatever.

Regarding agricultural…

You also got Lamborghini wrong on that.

Laverda, the former Italian motorcycle company, was started in 1873 as an agricultural manufacturer.

They went on to build some of the most innovative, fastest, and purely outstanding motorcycles of their time.

Funny, but of the 4 bikes I have right now, the Guzzi is the slickest, quietest shifter. The first time I rode this bike, I kept thinking it hadn't shifted, but it always had. Pretty damn smooth, at least in my one case!

I read on the forums about stiff, clunky shifting so was surprised how easy my V85TT Centenario shifted when I first left the dealer last year. It is even smoother now with almost 3000 miles and 75W-140 synthetic gear oil that was put in during the 900-mile service. I inadvertently shifted without the clutch once when I preloaded the shifter and rolled off the throttle--it shifted before I got the clutch pulled in. I am now more careful not to preload too much. The Moto Guzzi shifts smoother with 2900 miles than my BMW shifts with 59,000 miles.

Ok. Whatever.

Regarding agricultural…

You also got Lamborghini wrong on that.

Laverda, the former Italian motorcycle company, was started in 1873 as an agricultural manufacturer.

They went on to build some of the most innovative, fastest, and purely outstanding motorcycles of their time.
OK. Although the Lamborghini web site does say this:

"When WWII broke out, Ferruccio [Lamborghini] was enlisted and assigned to the 50th “Autoparco Misto di Manovra” (Mixed Operations Vehicle Fleet), stationed in Rhodes, in charge of the maintenance of all military vehicles on the island. In 1946, he returned to Italy and opened a machine shop in Cento, where he repaired vehicles and prepared small cars, and where he developed the idea to build low-cost tractors using the components of old military vehicles.

In 1963, by that time one of Italy’s leading industrialists, Ferruccio Lamborghini decided to build the best gran turismo cars in the world. That was when the Lamborghini logo – today famous throughout the world - with the famous bull inspired by the zodiac sign and the headstrong and enterprising character of Ferruccio came into being."

Just FYI

You are correct about Lamborghini and I am mistaken. I should have looked it up to verify. My bad. I am positive about Moto Guzzi though.

I knew about Laverda but not Lamborghini. Lamborghini Trattori , est. 1948, Automobili Lamborghini, est. 1963.

Never been a big Lamborghini guy as I'm a Enzo Ferrari fan.

My sincere apologies and thank you for the correction and knowledge!

Best wishes!

Last edited:
For those who say Guzzi never made tractors - check out this YouTube Video below. YOu'll see a picture of an old Moto Guzzi tractor.

Back