• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Muttoneers September 2023

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
WARNING! if you detest “TLDR,” skim & scan … or just run away now. Paid by the word for 50+ years, I won’t change those spots any time soon. ;)

===============

Twice a year, I and others ride to Daviess County in western Kentucky.

Why?

Mutton.

Yes, that’s an acquired taste that not everyone even wants to acquire … but it’s acquired me.

But, of course, there’s more to it than that.

The paternal “Hagan” contributors of my DNA started off in 1662 in St. Mary’s City, Maryland.

In the late 1700’s, when Catholics were no longer welcome in Maryland, Hagans were part of the migration of 200 Catholic families to Kentucky, traveling first by foot and then flatboat to what is now Maysville, Kentucky — then Limestone, Virginia. Led, BTW, by Basil Hayden, they went on from there to settle for a time in central Kentucky south of Bardstown.

If you enjoy bourbon whiskey, thank “My People.” If Protestants had settled there instead, Maker’s Mark might be a brand of iced tea. :party:

Be that as it may, they moved again in the 1820’s to the better dirt in Daviess County, where their descendants — i.e., many of my Hagan family — still live today. Their church, St. Mary of the Woods, in Whitesville, Ky., was established 177 years ago. Parish picnics started soon thereafter, and mutton has been the common, delicious denominator.

I clearly remember the first such picnic I attended in the mid-1950’s. But this post is about the latest such gathering, from where I, Kathi, and two friends just returned earlier this week.

"Our" Scott of Mod fame here (Lima, Ohio) and AJ, (Baltimore, Md.) both longtime Guzzisti, and I rode from the Moto Grappa in Cross Junction, Va., to Whitesville. We took three days, riding exclusively on interstitial backroads. [I only learned that word, “interstitial,” yesterday, and am excited to use it!]

Seriously, it was a grand trip. The roads between here and there are made for motorcycles. We even travelled on many — e.g., U.S. 62, a twisty challenge, especially between Maysville and Bardstown — that my hardscrabble tobacco-farming (and distilling! :giggle:) ancestors would have used, albeit much more slowly.

A six-mile blacktop hypotenuse off of 62 — SR 1504 — between Mount Olivet and Oddville (seriously) is one of the most entertaining pieces of pavement on this grand planet. And, in Ohio, we serendipitously stumbled upon — code for “lost” ;)— SR 348 between Lucasville and Blue Creek, a 25-mile collection of scenic sweepers and a surprise whiskbroom or two to keep you on your toes.

My ever-indulgent wife, Kathi, has been to many of these picnics as a pillion and, in this instance, driver of our “support vehicle.” She took only a day to join us in Maysville, and, on the return, be with me at Mount Sterling, Ky., before heading home solo.

For some context to the slideshow, below, on Day 1 of the outbound leg, we spent some time with Guzzista Chet in Ripley, W.V.

And, on Day 3, we stopped in to visit the Ky. Guzzi Rally near Frankfort.

On the return, Kathi and I went to Mount Sterling, where I had arranged to have gatewaycycles.com do the 6.2K service to my V85. I bought my V85 there on my return last June. I cannot say enough good things about this dealership. Carl, the owner, is an avid Guzzista who went out of his way to ensure that the service would be done without delaying my ride home. For example, though closed on Mondays, he and "Super Tech" Coty, made the service happen that evening so I could leave early the next morning! :clap:

Enough background.

Here are the culled pix (bit still lots) in a slideshow with captions.

The link opens in “landscape collage” format, so you can see all at a glance without slogging through one by one unless you want to do that.

Hover your curser over any pic to see the caption.

[For maddening reasons I do not completely understand, the captions “disappear” if one enlarges the pix and goes through them. On “pure” slideshow, i.e., automatic switching to next slide, the captions continue to appear, but the pace is quick. Keeping the cursor in the “caption area” seems to help if going through manually. As I said, maddening. If anyone knows the code to make it more seamless, please tell me.]

The pix? Go here:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Moto-Muttoneers-Sept-2023/n-LxVRBJ/

Bill

P.S. in the (exceedingly unlikely!) case, you yearn for more tales of Mutton Runs, try these:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Motos-Mutton-More-Less/n-HnchJc/

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Muttoneering-Sept-2021/n-VzxTGK/

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Mutton-Running-May-2018/n-dHftGV/

WARNING! if you detest “TLDR,” skim & scan … or just run away now. Paid by the word for 50+ years, I won’t change those spots any time soon. ;)

===============

Twice a year, I and others ride to Daviess County in western Kentucky.

Why?

Mutton.

Yes, that’s an acquired taste that not everyone even wants to acquire … but it’s acquired me.

But, of course, there’s more to it than that.

The paternal “Hagan” contributors of my DNA started off in 1662 in St. Mary’s City, Maryland.

In the late 1700’s, when Catholics were no longer welcome in Maryland, Hagans were part of the migration of 200 Catholic families to Kentucky, traveling first by foot and then flatboat to what is now Maysville, Kentucky — then Limestone, Virginia. Led, BTW, by Basil Hayden, they went on from there to settle for a time in central Kentucky south of Bardstown.

If you enjoy bourbon whiskey, thank “My People.” If Protestants had settled there instead, Maker’s Mark might be a brand of iced tea. :party:

Be that as it may, they moved again in the 1820’s to the better dirt in Daviess County, where their descendants — i.e., many of my Hagan family — still live today. Their church, St. Mary of the Woods, in Whitesville, Ky., was established 177 years ago. Parish picnics started soon thereafter, and mutton has been the common, delicious denominator.

I clearly remember the first such picnic I attended in the mid-1950’s. But this post is about the latest such gathering, from where I, Kathi, and two friends just returned earlier this week.

"Our" Scott of Mod fame here (Lima, Ohio) and AJ, (Baltimore, Md.) both longtime Guzzisti, and I rode from the Moto Grappa in Cross Junction, Va., to Whitesville. We took three days, riding exclusively on interstitial backroads. [I only learned that word, “interstitial,” yesterday, and am excited to use it!]

Seriously, it was a grand trip. The roads between here and there are made for motorcycles. We even travelled on many — e.g., U.S. 62, a twisty challenge, especially between Maysville and Bardstown — that my hardscrabble tobacco-farming (and distilling! :giggle:) ancestors would have used, albeit much more slowly.

A six-mile blacktop hypotenuse off of 62 — SR 1504 — between Mount Olivet and Oddville (seriously) is one of the most entertaining pieces of pavement on this grand planet. And, in Ohio, we serendipitously stumbled upon — code for “lost” ;)— SR 348 between Lucasville and Blue Creek, a 25-mile collection of scenic sweepers and a surprise whiskbroom or two to keep you on your toes.

My ever-indulgent wife, Kathi, has been to many of these picnics as a pillion and, in this instance, driver of our “support vehicle.” She took only a day to join us in Maysville, and, on the return, be with me at Mount Sterling, Ky., before heading home solo.

For some context to the slideshow, below, on Day 1 of the outbound leg, we spent some time with Guzzista Chet in Ripley, W.V.

And, on Day 3, we stopped in to visit the Ky. Guzzi Rally near Frankfort.

On the return, Kathi and I went to Mount Sterling, where I had arranged to have gatewaycycles.com do the 6.2K service to my V85. I bought my V85 there on my return last June. I cannot say enough good things about this dealership. Carl, the owner, is an avid Guzzista who went out of his way to ensure that the service would be done without delaying my ride home. For example, though closed on Mondays, he and "Super Tech" Coty, made the service happen that evening so I could leave early the next morning! :clap:

Enough background.

Here are the culled pix (bit still lots) in a slideshow with captions.

The link opens in “landscape collage” format, so you can see all at a glance without slogging through one by one unless you want to do that.

Hover your curser over any pic to see the caption.

[For maddening reasons I do not completely understand, the captions “disappear” if one enlarges the pix and goes through them. On “pure” slideshow, i.e., automatic switching to next slide, the captions continue to appear, but the pace is quick. Keeping the cursor in the “caption area” seems to help if going through manually. As I said, maddening. If anyone knows the code to make it more seamless, please tell me.]

The pix? Go here:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Moto-Muttoneers-Sept-2023/n-LxVRBJ/

Bill

P.S. in the (exceedingly unlikely!) case, you yearn for more tales of Mutton Runs, try these:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Motos-Mutton-More-Less/n-HnchJc/

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Muttoneering-Sept-2021/n-VzxTGK/

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Mutton-Running-May-2018/n-dHftGV/
Awesome write up, Bill!! Thanks for sharing such momentous insights. Looks like you guys had a great trip - both road-wise, and hanging out! I think those Harleys were there in Louisa, last time I was there … but, the riders had meat on their bones then😂.

Safe travels!

I always appreciate these posts, Bill, and your thoughtful and thorough accounting of the ‘run’. Thanks for taking the time to share!

It was a complete BLAST from Start to Finish. As always, hanging out with Bill Hagan is one of my favorite things to do.

Looking forward to the Spring Run! I'll be mounted on a Moto Guzzi by then. (If I ever get my workshop put away!)

Thanks for the memories Colonel! Here's to many many more to come!

…A six-mile blacktop hypotenuse off of 62 — SR 1504 — between Mount Olivet and Oddville (seriously) is one of the most entertaining pieces of pavement on this grand planet…
Bill, you had mentioned the Jenny Ann in another post…, and KY 1504 above. Weeelllll… did a 180 mile loop with a KTM buddy today that included both. I plotted a route from 19, across 539 to 62, which brought us out right at 1504. It was my first ride on 1504, and I agree, a great little section of well balanced left and right hand curves. A great day in the saddle!

IMG 0833

IMG 0835

IMG 0837

IMG 0834

It was a complete BLAST from Start to Finish. As always, hanging out with Bill Hagan is one of my favorite things to do.

Looking forward to the Spring Run! I'll be mounted on a Moto Guzzi by then. (If I ever get my workshop put away!)

Thanks for the memories Colonel! Here's to many many more to come!
Stimato dottore,

It was a fine time. Thanks for being part of that.

Hardly an "epic ride" in the Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia sense, it was nonetheless gave us all memories for the future and a call to do it again.

I think most motorcyclists enjoy solo riding. I did 250 miles alone yesterday on grand roads into central Pennsylvania and back. Great fun ... except for the occasional scary FOG :oops: outbound, and last few miles of sun in my eyes inbound. :sweating:

I've never been on a large motorcycle-group ride and have never been interested in that.

OTOH, small group rides of 2 or 3 as we did makes the experience even better. After all, who else but a fellow rider who just finished a day of two-wheeled joy would listen over a beer to another in the same pack recount tall tales of that same ride? :giggle:.

Next time I need to plan better -- especially if Kathi drives a sag wagon again -- to have a cooler and dry ice ready so we can bring back some of St. Mary's mutton. :party:

Bill

Bill, you had mentioned the Jenny Ann in another post…, and KY 1504 above. Weeelllll… did a 180 mile loop with a KTM buddy today that included both. I plotted a route from 19, across 539 to 62, which brought us out right at 1504. It was my first ride on 1504, and I agree, a great little section of well balanced left and right hand curves. A great day in the saddle!

View attachment 32577

View attachment 32578

View attachment 32579

View attachment 32580

Glad you liked that. The first time I rode 1504 several years ago, it needed repaving. I almost dumped my Griso over-correcting to miss an Atlanta-sized pothole that appeared suddenly as I came around one of those grand turns.

Since then, I have ridden it twice a year and it's had a fine surface. Even when I ride, as I too often do, over my skillset, I think that it would be fun to watch a gifted rider run that course. Scott and AJ, who rode with me, are of that sort, but they were "sight-reading" the road like a new musical composition. Still, they were waiting for me at the stop sign on the south end. At least they were moto-gentlemen and had the common courtesy not to have their helmets off, smoking cigarettes, and commenting on my sloth-like riding when I (finally) got there. :rofl:

If you and your KTM buddy ever get up this way, stop by the Moto Grappa. We have grand roads out of our driveway.

Bill

“Moto gentlemen”…😂… love it!

Thanks for the invite, Bill🙏. Your Moto Grappa looks to be a fine shop (with the best nite-light I’ve ever seen!)! If I’m headed that way, I’ll msg you for timing to see if you’re free🙌😁. Have a great week!

Any day you can spend with Bill Hagan, don’t squander it. Seize it and enjoy it to the fullest extent.

He is such a fine caliber of a man, to this day I am still in shock that he has anything whatsoever to do with a scoundrel such as I, but I’m grateful that he does. 😄👍🙏😄

Any day you can spend with Bill Hagan, don’t squander it. Seize it and enjoy it to the fullest extent.

He is such a fine caliber of a man, to this day I am still in shock that he has anything whatsoever to do with a scoundrel such as I, but I’m grateful that he does. 😄👍🙏😄

Thanks, Scott.

"Check's in the mail." :giggle:

Bill

Back