• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

motor quiet and awesome cold start, but then...

Tangmere

Just got it firing!
Hello! A newbie to the thread and newbie to Guzzi's. Just picked up a 2010 Stelvio with 29k. Got what i thought was a good deal. Not so sure now. Was not well taken care of, but was original owner. The motor runs beautiful at startup, and is quiet and wonderful, then warms up and get progressivly louder in top end noise, then gets a little higher toned ting mostly on the left bank, and also on the right. Ride it for 20 minutes on the road and will start to miss intermittently, and miss at idle. Did extensive injector clean, new airfilter, and plugs. Did not change. Thought it might be the plug wires as i have seen, so i did a quick electrical tape job all the way from coil to plug. Still the same.

I would think if it was a coil it would get hot and just fail completely under load, but under load it will run correctly. PO said one coil pack went bad, so he replaced both. I have the old and both show about 1.5 in resistance. to me that is a bad coil, but not sure here. Since it runs quietly when cold, i would assume it could run quietly warmed up. I have not done a valve check, and do not know if its a roller motor. Valves were my next guess to try. This bike was neglected unfortunately most of its life. I may have bitten off more than i can chew bringing this one back.

Any thoughts on why it runs right at start up and rough warmed up?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I will dig into the valves this week and check tolerances and shoot pics of the tappets.... heres hoping for the best! Cadre in Cincy is the closest dealer to me, i called last week and looks like they do not show that this motor has had the recall on rollers, but no idea if the PO got them and installed himself.

So in your experience, the motor sounds great cold, then clattery warm is a SURE sign of this issue? Damn, it sounds so sweet cold....

Thanks again for your response!

...So in your experience, the motor sounds great cold, then clattery warm is a SURE sign of this issue? Damn, it sounds so sweet cold....

Thanks again for your response!

No, I did not say that. Sorry.

Usually, the bike suffering from this issue will be loud and get louder over time which is explained in detail in my article I gave you.

Please read entirely what I gave you. The most important part is right in the beginning,

Nobody can perfectly diagnose a motorcycle issue fully and competently via a description and a sound clip over the internet. Experienced individuals may be able to narrow the issue down, and even have a strong opinion about what the problem is, but there is no substitute for actually being able to touch, and listen to a motorcycle which is right in front of you.”

I have nothing, not even a sound clip to go off of. Sorry.

BTW: Enzo, the owner at Cadre Cycle, is a great guy and he is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. He can help you.

However, I do not know where you are but I am in Findlay, Ohio. (40 miles south of Toledo on the I-75).

If you are closer to me, I am an independent, professional mechanic as well and significantly less expensive than any dealer.

My workshop in my home is outfitted with everything needed for any motorcycle diagnosis and repair, other than machine shop services.

If I can be of help to you, please Private Message me.

If you can, video your bike so we can see and hear what you have described. I cannot guarantee a diagnosis but it will certainly improve my opinion one way or the other.

Good luck!

Scott

98FE13CE D8EF 44BB 87D1 BAAB6A1AA40D

D9D92637 3466 4788 A882 F2ED44D1BD68

Will do! I am in Indianapolis, so not too far. I will shoot some video tomorrow when cold then warm. Thanks! Will PM you the info.

Sounds good - happy to help.

Just a FYI which is also discussed in the article.

There is NO RECALL on this. That term is incorrect.

Moto Guzzi is under no obligation to do anything on this. They were doing “goodwill” on it and may still be with regard to parts only.

I just didn’t want you to think that you were part of a recall which doesn’t actually exist.

well it's a great bike. I had one and loved it.
too many people got under the spark plug boot with a screwdriver to pry them off instead of sliding a zip tie under them and lifting up. they then cracked. most likely your miss. Guzzi Steve just commented on one of the forums that the importer was still supplying the kits but not the labor but I bet you need the dealer to do the paperwork but not the labor. not a bad job if you've done 10 of them.

Ok, so as a newbie to the MG universe, a valve adjustment new fluids throughout the bike really quieted it down. Its still a bit clattery at warm temps, but much better. The missing out issue was ultimately the plug boots, did the electric tape hack and solved the problem till the new ones arrive. I think the top end noise i am hearing is purely just the way this bike is. I came from the Triumph and Suzuki adventure bike arena and those motors are just a different beast.

Thank you for your assistance, this forum will be invaluable to me, great to know there is a wealth of knowledge out there for this unique steed!

Back