• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Motorcycle GPS units

Hello,

Has anyone picked up a Moto GPS unit ?
Thinking of picking one up because the MC units are rated for outdoor use, rain, sun, vibration, and larger than most phones !
Garmin and TomTom seem to be the brands.
Looking for some personal references based on your experience using one ?

Thanks
Don
Deadeye, check out this https://www.motorcycleid.com/moto-guzzi-gps-navigators/ you'll find a wide range of GPS kits.
Here's a post about gps navigators, https://www.motorcycle.com/products/motorcycle-gps-buyers-guide
hope that this could helps you.

My brother In law did the Copper Canyon tour train, said it was Great !
More - Pictures !

You must speak Spanish, to be wandering around down there :cool:
We have travelled with him a bit down there, and It was disconcerting to come upon an inspection station in the middle of nowhere, staffed with armed military personnel !

My Spanish is pretty poor, but usually I can get by. We did not run into any checkpoints on this trip, possibly a first for me.

Here's a pic of where the road had a rough section going down into the canyon. Locals say it's been like this for almost 3 years. The picture is poor, taken on my iPod Touch, and only shows the portion where the surface got good enough were I could pull over and put the stand down. The bad spot is further back and to the right, you only get a small bit of the steep decline in the photo.

Here's a pic of where the road had a rough section going down into the canyon. Locals say it's been like this for almost 3 years. The picture is poor, taken on my iPod Touch, and only shows the portion where the surface got good enough were I could pull over and put the stand down. The bad spot is further back and to the right, you only get a small bit of the steep decline in the photo.

Wow that pretty bad for a Good spot !
What’s the guy down the hill riding a trike ???

That road is worse than the roads around here!:p
At least it has a guardrail to keep the larger stones from rolling out of the way off the road.

We Wouldn't want one of the larger boulders to fall on Someone else down the hill
We need to focus the on those coming up that part !!

Last edited:
I recently picked up a Garmin Zumo 396 to replace my trusty old 2720 Street Pilot. I use it in my car and motorcycle and so far I like it a lot. I use racing type gloves that dont have the finger-tip thingy and the touch screen works well (despite my big fingers). I had been using Google Maps on my phone but that is not practical on the bike nor is it as functional when the cell signal drops in the mountains.

I like that you are able to choose what shows on the map (gas stations, food, hotel/motel, etc). I turn all that off so my route is easy to see at a glance. When I need gas I just change the map view to find a station along the route.

The screen is big enough although bigger would be better. On a bike you need to see things at a glance - my work around is a pair of sunglasses with "readers" cut into the lower part of the lens. The XT and 595 were just too much $$$ for the bigger screen and so far I am happy with the 396.

I have not linked the Zumo with my phone to take advantage of the traffic and weather so I cant comment on those features. I also dont play music on it or have it set up so I can make or take phone calls. The sound of my bike is the only music I want to hear and as for calls...shoot....those are the people Im trying to avoid.

The mount is excellent and secure. It snaps in and out easily plus the unit "knows" (by the power connection) what type of vehicle your using (bike or cage).

The only draw back so far is the battery life could be longer but considering the size of the unit its not bad. I got about about a 12 hour day before it needed to be charged. That includes using the unit to find multiple destinations and good pizza parlors. I now have the cradle wired to the bikes electrical and only use the battery for route planning when off the bike.

I typically use the Zumo to find my way home after wandering aimlessly in the mountains or to give my wife an ETA after she realizes I've been gone all day. I have made a few routes using way-points and its fairly easy and works well. I have not tried the Garmin software to upload a route yet so I have nothing for you there.

The 396 has far more features, abilities, functions than my old Street Pilot. It appears as durable but time will tell.
Overall - I give it a thumbs up.

NTX-er thank you for the detailed write up !
Have you tried the twisty route option ?

I’ve started riding with bifocals now, so was wondering what the difference in screen resolution between the XT and the 396 would be like in daily use ?
Yes the extra 200-300$ To move up to the XT, is a lot of gas and pizza !

What’s the guy down the hill riding a trike ???

Tom has a 955 Tiger which he sent up to DMC last year to have a sidecar mounted. This was his first big ride after brining it home. He got more comfortable as the week wore on, it was the twisty bits that gave him trouble.

Here's a better picture of his rig:

Deadeye - sorry! been out of state working and just got back.
The first time I tried the Adventurous Route mode it didnt make any significant changes in the route going to my destination! As it "turns" out (pun intended) you need to be careful what route restrictions are enabled (no hwy, no dirt roads, no tolls, etc) otherwise it severely limits the routing. I need to test it some more in areas where I know the roads and see what it comes up with versus what I like.

As for using the Zumo with bifocals - it is the only way I can see the screen details clearly now (aging eyes.....). The screen size I think is OK - the problem is with my eyes. Hope this helps you

Back