Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

MPG in Imperial or US galions?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Mickyb, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Mickyb

Mickyb Just got it firing!

To cut a long story short, can British owners of Stelvios tell me if their bikes are recording mileage in Imperial or US gallons? My bike until January 2015 was in Imperial MPG and after an update is now recording in US MPG or the fuel consumption has drastically deteriorated. The dealer says that they have always been in US gallons but I beg to differ, can you help
    Mick

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Mick, bit of grey area. Since Piaggio/Guzzi USA has never really been on the radar outside of North American emissions requirements, I would lean more towards Imperial since you are more central to the motherland. I just (rarely) calculate miles traveled to consumption, and never pay much attention to the bike computed dashboard. Also well proven is that the F.I. bikes consume more fuel in cold temps. Not sure if that helps, but my $.02.

3. Mickyb

Thanks Todd, and another correction, I meant to say it was Christmas 2014 that I had an issue with the bike and went to the dealers in the first week in January 2015. Thank you to the nice man who sent me the email pointing out my error and yes I am a time traveller, nice xmas jumper you received this 2015 Christmas.
    I have had the bike(new) since 2010 and have covered 24,000 miles, long trips to France and all over the UK. The MPG read-out has been very accurate, I went from York to John o'Groats return 988 miles in 19 hours ( I have the petrol station Visa V.A.T. slips to prove the petrol sorry GAS stops) I found it useful to keep an eye on what MPG I was doing.
    Mick

4. Campagman

Campagman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Mu 2008 UK bike in us gallons, usually reads between 35 and 40 which multiplied by 1.2 reflects the actual brim to brim MPG I get in UK gallons. A simpler check is 45 mpg(UK) is the same as getting 10 miles per litre. I normally full up at round 150 miles on a tank and it takes around 15 litres.
    Worse mpg in the cold though.......

5. Mickyb

Thanks and an interesting reply. The reading on mine was around 42 to 48 MPG into the 30's if all day town riding, but on long motorway runs it could go easily into the 50's, now after the factory update it is reading a lot less for the same runs as I use to get! As I calculate the mileage from fill up to fill up (tank top to Tank top) as you do then unless I have a constant loss whilst riding I cannot explain the new readings?
    Mick

6. Campagman

Campagman Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

sounds like its reading in us gallons then

7. Paul_Tim

Paul_Tim Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Based on my 2008 bike reporting about 35 mpg and doing the calcs based on filling and mileage I reckon my UK bike is also reporting in US gallons, 120-150 (UK) miles between fill ups

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I thought all the CARC bikes can display in litres/100kM or mpg (US). Only the Cali 1400 offers the choice between US mpg and UK mpg (as well as litres/100kM).