• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My 2000 Quota gas tank leaks!

MyQuota1100

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
My 2000 Quota is leaking fuel. I’ve tried JBWeld, that worked for about 2 months but started seeping fuel again.. I found one used tank in Germany, but the cycle salvage place says it’s too big and expensive to ship it to the USA. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? There are not many Quotas around and it’s an odd shaped tank that’s not easy to find or replace. I may try repairing it again possibly with fiberglass, but I’m not even sure what the tank is made of, it’s either plastic or fiberglass. Help!

Your best bet may be some type of internal coating. Check with the folks at Caswell's and others that make ethanol resistant coatings. Also some radiator shops can apply red coat to the inside of tanks. I don't remember if the Quota tank is metal of plastic, but the interior of the tank will need to be clean and etched before any coating is applied.

Your best bet may be some type of internal coating. Check with the folks at Caswell's and others that make ethanol resistant coatings. Also some radiator shops can apply red coat to the inside of tanks. I don't remember if the Quota tank is metal of plastic, but the interior of the tank will need to be clean and etched before any coating is applied.
Hi John,
Thanks for your feedback. The tank is either plastic or fiberglass, I’m not sure which. I had looked for an interior coating before but the Kreem and POR15 brands only adhere to metal tanks. I hadnt looked at Caswell, but since you mentioned them,mI checked and they claim their epoxy coating works on plastic and fiberglass so it sounds like that may be worth trying. I may also reinforce the exterior tank bottom with a fiberglass mat/resin for extra sealing strength.

The tank is made from Nylon 8 by Acerbis. Plastic welding shops couldn't fix it so I used 2 part Permatex epoxy for radiator expansion tanks on my Quota 12 years ago and it's still holding up great. Bought it at a general auto store. It gets very hot while you mix it in its own packaging, is very runny at first and starts to set very quick. I ended up using 3 kits to finish my tank that had multiple holes from an accident. The rear lug was rippped, one front mount area had a hole and the tank vent nipple was ripped out. Altogether fixed for $40CAD.

The tank is made from Nylon 8 by Acerbis. Plastic welding shops couldn't fix it so I used 2 part Permatex epoxy for radiator expansion tanks on my Quota 12 years ago and it's still holding up great. Bought it at a general auto store. It gets very hot while you mix it in its own packaging, is very runny at first and starts to set very quick. I ended up using 3 kits to finish my tank that had multiple holes from an accident. The rear lug was rippped, one front mount area had a hole and the tank vent nipple was ripped out. Altogether fixed for $40CAD.
Thanks for confirming exactly what the tank is made of, a type of plastic, although I’ll admit I’ve never heard of nylon 8 by Acerbis. Was that 2 part Permatex epoxy used on the outside or inside the tank? I ordered a Caswell epoxy kit today for coating the inside. They claim it works on plastic fuel tanks.

On the outside. The Permatex I used is dark grey in color and the paint I used was ordinary rattle can PlastiColor.
Somewhere on the bottom of the tank is a round label molded into the tank with the year, manufacturer and material. After some internet searching I found that Acerbis uses 2 kinds of Nylon. One kind that needs to be colored since it doesn't hold paint when used for gas tanks but that can be welded, and the other paintable kind which is Nylon 8 that is hard to weld.(it's been a while so it could be Nylon 6 - not that it matters)

Very interesting, thank you for the info. I was very frustrated but now I have hope that I can successfully make this repair since tanks for these bike are so hard to find or unobtainium.

I think it is likely PA6, but I'll admit I haven't seen a Quota tank.
My experience is with a KTM 640 Adventure tank; these were made by Acerbis and the material, as indicated on the tank, is PA6. The PA is the paintable material and from what I read, PE is non-paintable.
I still have some PA6 rods lying around I'm sure if you want to try taking up plastic welding.

I’ve tried plastic welding on other things and found it to be difficult. I think I’m going to try sealing inside and outside with the 2 part epoxy by Caswell on the inside and Permatex on the outside

I’ve been looking for the Permatex product you might have used but I’m not sure about the one I found. It is for radiator plastic tanks, but says “not for use on plastic fuel tanks” right on the package. It looks like it comes with some fiberglass cloth too. Other than that I haven’t seen the Permatex product that I think is appropriate for the job.

I remember it was a package with a blue cardboard label, not the green one, and it came with a small stick of wax, some fibre glass, a little brush and some sandpaper. Looking at pictures and instructions I am pretty sure that it was the Permatex 09101.
The local tank repair guy said that it was not weldable so I thought I can't go wrong with just trying to fix it myself, which is why I just took a best guess with the Permatex no matter what the label says. That was in 2008.

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Quota 1.jpg
    Moto Guzzi Quota 1.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 5
61CvfiVjJVL AC SL1200

i don't know what size hole you are trying to repair but this will do up to about 1/2" - 3/4". Another trick is to use 0000 steel wool, and impregnate it into the mastic compound. It adds tremendous strength to the repair as it is steel fibers.

However, if you want to do it right the first time and never again, use this.

tbbonding.com/polypropylene-gas-tank-repair-it-can-be-done/

Last edited:
Back