• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My Iron Butt Ride

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Due to one thing & another, unfortunately Christine could not make it on this trip.
So, while thinking about going back to Utah, I suddenly figured out that without Christine wanting to stop, to take piccys of everything, I could do an Iron Butt Ride.
Initially I was going to start from the Elmore entrance to the Ohio Turnpike, on last Wednesday.
However, Tuesday night at Pete & Barbs, we were watching the weather channel .
It showed a long line of dangerous thunderstorms all along the very route I wanted to use.
So we did a re think, and I decided to trundle westwards along route 6, then where it divides into 6 & 24, I would use 24 and get below the storms.
It worked out, and as planned, I filled up in Forrest, right on the xroads of 24 and 47.
47 would take me to Morris, right beside I 80.
going up 47 , I found a great motel in Dwight called Classic Inn, The room was great and only cost $ 35 a night.
Late evening and the tail end of the storm went through and we got a lot of rain, but not much wind and No Hailstones ! Apparently Chicago had some hail damage.
Well, next day was nice and I set off for Morris.
It was a big truck stop and travel center, I filled up and asked the guy to sign my “ Start of Ride paper” but he wouldn't, he would only write the name of the place and the time.
Presumably that will work, I had printed off the forms and there was a log sheet for whatever might happen en route, so I decided to get the people at whatever fill up place just to write the name and address and time.
Hopefully the Iron Butt people will accept that , along with the fuel receipts.
That was it, 13th 06 2013 at 09 20 Ohio time, I left my watch on one time zone so I wouldnt get confused with the changing time zones.
Obviously you cannot stop to take piccys while on the Interstate.
I rode 127.9 miles & filled up, then did another 139.7 miles, just after setting off, a starling came off the verge, slammed into my mirror then bounced off my visor, thank god it didn't explode.
Somewhat further along, I passed an 18 wheeler on its side in the median . About ¾ mile further on, another 18 wheeler was on its side too, opposite direction, so yes the storm had been bad.
Then it started to rain and with nowhere to stop, I kept going, the rain did not last long but was rather heavy.
It stopped before sundown, and I dried out in a nice warm evening.
Just before dark, a big black cloud came up on the horizon and it was throwing lightning everywhere.
Lucky for me, there was a farm road type exit ahead, so I pulled out and put my rain gear on, then rode up the other side of the ramp, back on the interstate.
Well, there were no heavy downpours, just persistent rain for 88 miles, the lightning was incredible, I got in behind an 18 wheeler, thinking he was higher up than me so hopefully he would act as a lightning conductor.
Obviously with my luck, shortly after entering the thunderstorm, we got into roadworks !
Water flying everywhere, old white lines crossing new white lines, sometimes no lines at all, so I kept aiming for the middle o the roof lights on the truck in front
After I got out of the storm, it was a lot colder than before, so I kept my rain gear on.
After that , it was uneventful riding fuelled by Coffee & Snickers bar, at every fill up.
Longest ride twixt stops was 152.7 miles
I got to Laramie Wyoming, at 0245 but it was only 989 miles from Morris, unfortunately there are not a lot of choices in that part of Wyoming, so I carried on on I 80 to Rawlins, that put me over the 1000 miles, but due top the discovery of a large gas field close by, there was not a motel room or B&B to be had, so I rode on another 46.8 miles to Wamsutter, with no motels worth mentioning, so I rode another 74,4 miles to Rock Spring filled up and got a room at the Super 8 where again the woman would not sign anything but did put place & time, on my end of ride paper..
I went to bed but had a hard time sleeping, probably due to all the Coffee.
Today , in Evanston I have sorted all the paperwork and will post it off in the morning.
For Piccys , go to my blog http://www.motoguzziriders.com
Apparently it can take up to 3 months before you get your documentation, It costs $ 45
Take Care Out There !

New to the site and fairly new to the Guzzi world. I now ride an 11 Norge after many years of HD ownership. Actually I still have the hog but now it just hangs out in the garage mostly. Great job on your accomplishment of this ride. I hope to do one this summer. I've been working out of the US for the last several years so I'm hopeful now that I'm back. I'm interested in any special preparations you might have made for this ride.
Thanks for sharing.

OOps, somehow missed that post :
Bit late now, but no, apart from a long time in the military, where you get used to staying awake.
Then on retirement buying a couple of boats ( Not at the same time ) and sailing them to the Caribbean & back.
Don't dress too warm or eat a lot. Being a bit cold & hungry, helps you to stay awake and alert.
and as I put in this years motoguzziriders.com, it doesn't have to be a deer, some raccoons are big enough to ruin your day.
Take Care Out There

I did the Saddlesore 1,000 over 10 years ago. There were three of us, all riding BMW K1200 LT's. One was the owner of our local BMW dealer. Lapped Florida, 1,068 miles in 18 hours.
We were bookin...

Back