• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mystery problem on V7ii 2015 special

MrKlunk

Just got it firing!
Help!

I’m not mechanically minded to please excuse the layman’s language/descriptions

In April I bought a Moto Guzzi V7ii (2015). Full MG service history. 3500 miles. Bike was mint and had a new battery fitted by the seller.

Did about 500 miles and it was fine but then it developed an issue.

When I leave the house the throttle was a bit fluffy, but when I got on the dual carriageway it was losing power, felt like starving for fuel. Traffic was very busy and I was attempting to pull into the verge when it came back to life but I lost confidence and turned back home. At one point I closed the throttle and it actually 'revved itself' from 2-3000K!! Very strange. When it happens, if I change up/down and rev it it comes back to life and never completely dies.

Every time I that I rode the bike I got the same problem. But once it’s going it’ll run fine at high speed. Stop for a coffee and start again and the same issue happens. Felt like fuel starvation to me but I since had it checked out by two biker contacts, one of them a retired mechanic, into Guzzis and the consensus is it’s an electriconis problem and needs to go to a MG dealer to be plugged into ECU. One guy said he thought it might be a problem with the throttle position sensor but when I called the dealer he said if that was the case there would be a warning light on the dash?

Plugs and caps were checked and look like new.

The other brand bike dealers here wouldn't look at it as 'no ECU'.

One thing I’m wondering about, the bike is fitted with a black box/booster box device that apparently helps with the fuel injection system to smooth out the throttle at lower speeds and help prevent stalling when cold (which this model is notorious for apparently). The dealer said 1st thing he would do is remove that.

I’ve totally lost confidence in the bike which after a nine-week wait is being couriered 150 miles to the nearest dealer in Falkirk next week (i'm in Aberdeen). He did a bit of ‘teeth-sucking’ when I said it was intermittent and I hope the fault is obvious to them when they get it. It needs a few short, stop/start rides. Maybe one of the mechanics can use it to commute for a few days.

Pretty gutted that I’ve not been able to use it all summer and I’m also worried that when I go down to pick it up and ride back to Aberdeen the problem will still be there. Any thoughts/wisdom appreciated. Cheers

Why do you look for and literally anticipate the worst possible outcome? You have a great motorcycle. Somebody either messed with it (obviously with your "black box" aftermarket gizmo), or a part is out of adjustment or requires repair/replacement. It's not the end of the world.

The motorcycle is designed to function properly as it was configured from the factory. If you are taking it to A Moto Guzzi repair facility, then they will have the PADS (Piaggio specific tool) computer to talk to everything that needs to be checked. I'm sure they will find the issue.

ECU's do not have "selective" failures. They either work, or they don't. I've never seen anything else. To me, sight unseen, you don't have an electrical issue at 3500 miles. You have a throttle issue. The TPS may need to be reset because somebody was fiddling with a screwdriver where they shouldn't have been. More that likely, your gizmo may be causing issues. Who knows. But I do know that if set to factory specifications, the motorcycle will run exactly as designed.

Although I do have Todd's (GTM here) full fuel injection modification system on my Stelvio and it has been fantastic, all of my other Moto Guzzi are bone stock and they all run beautifully as designed. I agree with your mechanic and I would remove that gizmo. You don't need it and you don't know what negative effect it is having on the motorcycle.

Trust that the mechanics will figure it out. It's a simple Moto Guzzi V7ii motorcycle, not a Ducati Superleggera V4 rocket.

Relax, take a breath, and realize that this too will pass. They'll sort her out and you be right as rain soon.

I wish you good luck with your repairs.

Last edited:
Why do you look for and literally anticipate the worst possible outcome? You have a great motorcycle. Somebody either messed with it (obviously with your "black box" aftermarket gizmo), or a part is out of adjustment or requires repair/replacement. It's not the end of the world.

The motorcycle is designed to function properly as it was configured from the factory. If you are taking it to A Moto Guzzi repair facility, then they will have the PADS (Piaggio specific tool) computer to talk to everything that needs to be checked. I'm sure they will find the issue.

ECU's do not have "selective" failures. They either work, or they don't. I've never seen anything else. To me, sight unseen, you don't have an electrical issue at 3500 miles. You have a throttle issue. The TPS may need to be reset because somebody was fiddling with a screwdriver where they shouldn't have been. More that likely, your gizmo may be causing issues. Who knows. But I do know that if set to factory specifications, the motorcycle will run exactly as designed.

Although I do have Todd's (GTM here) full fuel injection modification system on my Stelvio and it has been fantastic, all of my other Moto Guzzi are bone stock and they all run beautifully as designed. I agree with your mechanic and I would remove that gizmo. You don't need it and you don't know what negative effect it is having on the motorcycle.

Trust that the mechanics will figure it out. It's a simple Moto Guzzi V7ii motorcycle, not a Ducati Superleggera V4 rocket.

Relax, take a breath, and realize that this too will pass. They'll sort her out and you be right as rain soon.

I wish you good luck with your repairs.

Thank you for your encouraging reply! You are right, I'm being too negative, just a result of 3 frustrating months of trying to get it fixed and not being able to ride it. Exacerbated by a couple of biker mates who advised me not to get a Guzzi due to no local dealer. I loved the 500 miles I got on it in April! :) I shall have faith in the MG mechanics and look forward to my 150-mile ride home! All the best, Gary

I was going to ask, when it starts this nonsense, stop and open the fuel tank listening carefully for air getting sucked into the tank ( vacuum makes it hard to get fuel to the bike !)

Before I spent any money I'd have eliminated the tip over valve. If it's not working right it can't get gas. Then replace the fuel filter. Search for both fixes here. Simple, cheap and then I'd be finding out about that black box. It should be easy to disconnect.
Thanks for your thoughts. The bike is booked into the dealer next Monday so it will be in their hands. I'm not exactly handy with spanners so replacing parts myself would not have been something I'd feel confident to do. Best Wishes

I was going to ask, when it starts this nonsense, stop and open the fuel tank listening carefully for air getting sucked into the tank ( vacuum makes it hard to get fuel to the bike !)
Thanks for the tip. The 2 mechanic friends of mine did look into fuelling issues but both think it's an electrical glitch. Best Wishes.

If the "black box" is a Power Commander, it may be a good thing rather than bad. They do help with the lean fueling problem in most Moto Guzzis. It may not be working properly or has a loose connection somewhere. The mechanics should be able to figure it out.

I had 2 mechanics check out fuelling issues, not sure if they checked this specifically. The bike is being picked up and taken to MG dealer today. Thanks for the tip.

Back