Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Nasty knock in 2008 Norge

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Dycokac, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dycokac

Dycokac Tuned and Synch'ed

So I just got my Norge last august, and since then I've blown a valve cover gasket, but it's otherwise been great.

until i went to ride it yesterday after deciding the weather up here as broken enough to start communting with it again. So i get about 4 miles from the house and i start hearing a knock in the engine. when i get off the freeway the knock goes away, but when i start riding it again the knock comes back. when i get home and into the garage, the knock kind of goes away at idle speed.

so I ride it to work this morning and home this afternoon and the knock is going the whole time. I've decided it's possibly coming from in front of the right head as I walked around it.

Here's a recording of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2a0c1ZZt3pYV05zUXVSRVdzZzg/view?usp=sharing (wav file).

The knock tempo keeps up with the engine speed and doesn't go away, i can't really hear the normal exhaust sound at speed.

Any ideas what that is, or anything else I should check to trouble shoot it? if it's relatively simple I'd rather handle it myself, I've found the shop manual online.

The dipstick has the oil level right in the middle of the narrow part of the stick, so it has oil in the pan.

For now I'm not going to ride it till I figure out what it is.

And I just got a fresh set of rubber for it but haven't mounted them yet...

Thanks in advance for any advice for what to look at.

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Sounds are near impossible to diagnose via the internet... however if this is something that just popped up, it could be bad news. I would check the valve lash, and then see; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/early-norge-oil-pump-failure.6174/
    Please add your VIN# there and here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/

I would start by getting into the Diagnosis Menu and see what if any A(ctive) or M(emory) codes are being shown. Are you seeing the oil pressure light at all on the dash? Even if not, still a red flag depending on your VIN# per the thread link above.

3. Dycokac

I haven't seen any out of the ordinary lights in the dash. The valve cover gaskets let loose on me last October, and the bike had been sitting at the dealership for about a year.

I did just post to the registry thread though my VIN is ZGULPU00X8M113911 with a build date of 8-2007. It only has 15000 on it too so it sounds like it's in range for the oil pump issue, and apprently the pressure sensors are a problem also?

I'll look into the valve lash, and i'll check the the diagnosis menu.

I wonder if the extended warrenty I purchased with the bike will cover any of this...

4. BDS

BDS Tuned and Synch'ed

Dy - that doesn't sound very good. As mentioned, internet sounds are hard to quantify. But, it does have a certain sound to it that seems "dry" - as in not enough oil moving around. I do hope you can push for warranty coverage, since you bought the extended plan. Good luck!

5. Dycokac

Verdict is in. The shop i took it to says it's the exhaust valve adjuster which busted, and they found all the pieces under the valve cover. So as a precaution they are recommending changing the replacing the intake adjuster as well.

waiting to find out if my warranty is going to cover the $250 they quote or not.

6. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

Excellent news. Whew.

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

If they are recommending you replace the intake adjuster, how about the other two on the other jug?

If it's not covered by warranty, demand a refund of the premium and find another service shop.

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

For what it is worth... Warranties, or in this case more than likely, a mechanical protection agreement, NEVER pay for "might fail". They ONLY pay for a failure in a covered component. To simply get mad and demand a refund for something that you are not entitled to, is childish and short-sighted.

That being said, if there were metal pieces under the valve cover, then it stands to reason that very small metal fragments may have made their way in the oil back down into the engine. To provide for an abundance of caution, the oil and filter should be changed and the oil pan should come off for a visual inspection of the bottom of the pan, necessitating a gasket replacement.

Rafael and abbienormal like this.
  9. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

As Scott says with the sump gasket. Also worth mentioning that the spacer plate gasket (sits above the sump) will probably be ready to go. It's held on by 4 bolts (mine were finger tight only from the factory) and for the small cost of gasket, you can be assured that you will have no oil pressure problems in the short term. This would show up as an oil pressure problem and the red triangle on the dash, and oil light on under 2000 RPM. many have changed their O/P sensor only to find there is still a problem. Mine did this - replace gasket and all is now good.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  10. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Are you saying that a leaky sump gasket affects the oil pressure?

11. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Not the sump gasket the spacer gasket. The spacer is the next bit above the sump. And YES it affects oil pressure. See the picture and you will understand. Mine was like this from the factory and I never did find the missing bit...[​IMG]

12. Fiat500

Fiat500 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just helped a guy out with a 1200 Sport who had the oil light coming on at idle.
    Sent him the picture of Oz1200Guzzi blown out sump spacer gasket and after he removed his sump guess what, exactly the same issue.
    Anyway replaced gaskets and all is good.

Oz1200Guzzi and NPS like this.
  13. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

Indeed, that is what this forum is all about. One helps another.

14. NPS

NPS Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Interesting. Is there any evidence that the faces are not flat?

15. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

NO - faces are flat. Simply not tightening the 4 screws sufficiently at assembly, will do it. While tight, they work loose over time, pressure starts to flow sideways and next thing you know, the gasket is "blown".

16. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

+1 for Tony! Awesome information, well disseminated.

17. Dycokac

Just noticed all of the posts since I responded with the verdict.

Wanted to add that I had them change the oil, as I hadn't done so yet this season more than because they might have missed some bits even though they said they found all of the pieces.

And then 3 weeks after I got it back, it snapped the other adjuster screw. Even though I told them to replace the other one, it seems they chose not to do that work. It seems the service guy I spoke with over the phone doesn't understand my english or something.

So they ended up covering both adjusters under warranty and i lost a month of riding...

I have since opened the left side valve cover and checked how tight those adjuster nuts where and i'm feeling good about them but do have 2 spare screws and bolts on hand now for if this happens again...

18. Sport1200

Sport1200 Tuned and Synch'ed

Has anyone thought to Loctite the bolts???? Or is it in the manual already? Ordered gaskets today BTW.