• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need Help on Removal of In-Tank Fuel Pump Piece

Guzzi_Lou

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So i need to replace the red part shown on the pic. The side with that red piece is what you'd see on the underside of the tank connected to a fuel line if you were to remove the tank.

I bought the fuel line piece that connects to that thinking that the red piece would be part of it but it's a separate piece.

Anyway, I need to buy a new red piece but I'm trying to remove it assuming that it's screwed on but it isn't (it just turns with some effort). I even removed the whole fuel pump assembly from inside the tank hoping I'd see an obvious solution but again no.

I may have to pop it off with a flat screwdriver but before I try that, I'm asking to see if anyone has needed to do that before.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• in-tank-fuelpump.jpg
    in-tank-fuelpump.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44
I assume you've managed to damage the red elbow. It's not listed as a separate part, you may have some difficulty finding one. No doubt MG want you to buy the complete assembly (part number B063104).

If you're in that situation, I would be first tempted to try to replace it with a 90° elbow and mount the fuel line direct to this. The Cali 1400 has a second fuel connector along the line (well, mine does), so I can't see much of a disadvantage doing this.

Let's know how you get on.

Yes I had a mishap with the tank when doing the moaning whale fix. :banghead:

There's a fuel line on the opposite side of the broken red piece attached with a 1-time use clamp that I suspect is keeping the red piece from pulling off. I'm tempted to take the clamp off and see what I can do as you allude to with the 90 elbow but that'll then entail finding an appropriate replacement clamp that can survive gasoline submersion and then ensuring that the proper elbow can be sourced ....

In the end I can see a new pump being the end result. Another self-inflicted :banghead: is due here.

Thanks for chiming in though Dave!

Yes I had a mishap with the tank when doing the moaning whale fix. :banghead:

There's a fuel line on the opposite side of the broken red piece attached with a 1-time use clamp that I suspect is keeping the red piece from pulling off. I'm tempted to take the clamp off and see what I can do as you allude to with the 90 elbow but that'll then entail finding an appropriate replacement clamp that can survive gasoline submersion and then ensuring that the proper elbow can be sourced ....

In the end I can see a new pump being the end result. Another self-inflicted :banghead: is due here.

Thanks for chiming in though Dave!

Found this on youtube, in the coments under the video someone comented that you can buy the red connector from Gutsibits.com in UK, I couldn't find it on their website but might be worth checking them
out

[URL='https://www.youtube.com/user/haydn73']

Do you know if it's possible to purchase only the red plastic L-shaped fitting that connects the tank to the fuel line without buying an entirely new fuel pump? Is there anyone who makes a metal version of this piece?

haydn73 [/URL] 3 years ago
Yes you can from gutsibits,co.uk ( a bit exensive for a bit of plastic but cheaper than a pump). Or you could tap a thread and fit a brass fuel fitting. http://cmifittings.com/images/images/products/1556.jpg Search the v11lemans.com forum for fuel fittings, fuel connector and you will find lots of info.

Last edited:
So the bike is back together and working fine. Here's what I've learned in case any fellow MG'ers come across the same issue.

The elbow, although not listed on the California parts diagram, is available from MG Cycle and is a Piaggio part as it came in their sealed bag (pic below). My dealer looked it up and it's listed on an Aprilia model that isn't even sold here in North America he said.

Removing the old piece was a challenge. I and the dealer (who's never had to remove 1 before ) pulled and pulled assuming it was just pressed into the pump real hard. The outside piece ended up breaking off with the inside "tube" section still in the pump. He suggested I slowly ream out the plastic with a drill bit a hair larger than the tubes inside diameter. I did that and I then noticed a metal ring (pic below) that was the culprit in keeping the tube from being pulled out.

When I saw it and removed it, it sprung off & went flying onto the floor. I found it and it's cut once along it's circumference such that it can be squeezed and 1 end will overlap the other if you know what I mean. The key then to removing that elbow is to get that ring off. Easier said than done as you won't be able to access it unless you saw/cut the outside part at the base and then try and take the ring off with tweezers or the like. Once the ring is off, the inside tube can be grabbed with the same tweezers or needle nose pliers I'd say. Or you can drill it out as I did as a last resort.

Anyway, here are pics and I hope this helps someone out in the future.

IMG 20171017 200102 InTankFuelPumpElbow1 InTankFuelPumpElbow2

Back