• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need Help PLZ...Oil Leak from the Driveshaft.

Hi folks, for what it's worth I have exactly the same issue. 2012 model (1 year old on the road) V7 Special with oil spattered over rear rim. 3750kms !!!

Can anyone say with confidence what the fix is? Because I bought second hand I'm worried they won't honour warranty and charge me 2 days labour for 5 mechanics plus lunches just to look at it!

I'd appreciate your feedback on this old thread. Cheers.

If you are within years/mileage the warranty should be honored no matter how many owners the bike has had.

Here are my guesses on a final drive (rear drive) leak:

First check to make sure the leak is from the final drive, and it's not a leak from the drain or level plugs, or the breather. If it's really from the final drive, here are some possibilities;

1. Breather. On top of the final final drive is a vented bolt. Unscrew and blow through it, making sure it's not blocked. The drive gets very hot when running, and if it's not vented then oil is forced out at the seals. At least one bike had a standard (non-breathing) bolt put in at the factory! And on my bike the vent closed up for no apparent reason.

2. Oil level. Some authorities say to fill with the full 170ml, even if that amount is over bottom edge of the horizontal oil level check hole. The overfill may put the oil level above the seals, putting them in a constant bath. That's ok if the seals are good, but will cause a leak if there are any minor problems with the seals.

3. Seals. Some part(s) in the final drive don't have good rust protection, and any corroded parts will abrade and damage the seals. One part that might rust is part no. 16 "pin" or hub in the factory parts diagram, and the seals often affected are no. 15 and 3.

4. Older style drive hub. The older style drive hub was prone to leaks. This was corrected with a newer part, which has chrome plating on the sealing surface. Your bike (2012) should be ok, but I'm just mentioning this as an fyi.

5. Bearings. An oil leak can be a sign that the bearings are starting to go bad. Replacing the bearings can solve the leak. The bad bearings heat the oil, forcing it out.

6. Crush Washer. If you re-use the crush washer on the bottom, make sure it’s still good. If it weeps, the oil can migrate, looking like it’s coming from somewhere else.

7. Casting Flaw. At least one bike had a flaw in the casting, causing the leak. This should only come up on new bikes, and is uncommon, but something to think about.

Keep me posted on this issue.
Joe

Hi folks, for what it's worth I have exactly the same issue. 2012 model (1 year old on the road) V7 Special with oil spattered over rear rim. 3750kms !!!

Can anyone say with confidence what the fix is? Because I bought second hand I'm worried they won't honour warranty and charge me 2 days labour for 5 mechanics plus lunches just to look at it!

I got my 2012 new in May 2014. had this issue with very few miles, the parts where cheap ( seal n gasket only)and took less than a day to fix. And it was covered by the warranty. Good luck

I have not fixed my leaking yet, so I can not tell what is causing my leaky.

I am not at all impressed with the quality of my V7 Cafe. Really lousy with oil spills on such a new bike.

Have owned Yamaha, Honda, BMW and Harley and they have all been entirely free from that.
Even my Guzzi 850T -74 I went with the late seventies was completely dry.

Hope you have patience with that I'm not so good at English, (language was not my favorite at the school in the sixties :)

Oops, missed page 2.
Nothing wrong with the bike, it could be something simple, like the previous owner slightly overfilled the final drive, or the breather got blocked with insect goo while riding
Its an easy fix, as long as you have the seals as shown above.
Takes more time to get the wheel off & on, than changing the parts.
Undoing the lower bolt, on one of the shock absorbers & swinging it up out of the way, makes it a lot easier to get the wheel off and on .

Back