• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need help with a leaking carb

joeradical

Just got it firing!
I've asked a few questions on this forum before, and everybody was really helpful, I always appreciate the insight and advice of the people who've been where I'm headed.

I recently did some work on the gearbox of my 1980 V50II, I put everything back together and tried starting it, but when I turned the fuel valve on, the left carb began hemorrhaging gas out of the banjo. I pulled the carb out of the rocker box and turned the fuel valve back on, and it looks like every drop of gas is spilling out, none of it gets to the part that goes into the rocker box. The gas goes into the banjo and it looks like it just pours out of the sides.

Does anybody know how I should proceed? Carbs seem very complicated and loaded with tiny parts so I'm not sure if I should just take it off and start digging around inside or if there's a quick fix that I can try first.

This bike is my first attempt at doing anything even remotely mechanical, but so far I've been able to avoid completely destroying everything I've touched because of the fine people here. Thanks.

It is probably nothing major. Just something loose or ill fitting from re assembling the bike. Make sure the hose clamp is firm and the banjo retaining bolt is firm, but don't overtighten.

Here is a link to a very useful site. Near the bottom of the page you will find links to Dellorto pages and tuning guides. Have a read and become familiar with the carby. I'd have a little play and as you pull it apart follow the dellorto guide to learn what the bits do. Take lots of digital photos to help you remember but don't stress. You have a virtual twin on the other side of the bike to copy if all fails.

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/

Hope this helps.

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like you have a stuck float or dirt in the needle of the float in the carb bowl. It's a fairly simple matter of freeing/adjusting the float and or cleaing the needle.

Perhaps others will have more insight though.

You may have misplaced a small, orange fibre ring that helps to seal the banjo to the carb. Also, there are orientations of the banjo where it will not sit flat on its seat but is held off by the arm carrying the fuel line.

Finally.... when you have it back together, you may find that there is a strange misfire which only comes on under load. The first thing to check is that one of the mutlitude of fuel hoses has not become kinked - this can happen _under_ the cloth covering that was part of the original fuel lines. Allegedly, this can sometimes take weeks to discover.......

Thanks for the advice. I wound up replacing the banjo, filter and fiber washer and the leak stopped.

The bike still won't start, though. It really does want to, I can feel it.

I turned on the petcock and choke and rolled the throttle a few times, then quickly removed one of the spark plugs and it was dry. it kind of smelled like gas, but there wasn't any gas on it. I'm thinking that the float needle is stuck and that while that wasn't causing the leak, it's what's keeping this thing off the road.

Really, the last thing I wanted to do was start fiddling with the carbs, but my bike had different plans for me. My shop manual goes into how to completely dismantle the carb, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Does anybody know a way to free up the float needle easily?

It's warming up and I'm really eager to get out into the Hill Country.

Thanks!

Hey JoeRad,

Where you at?

The symptoms you are experiencing can have many causes. I think yer goin about it in a good order though... fix the dangerous stuff (leaky benzine) first so it doesn't burn yer garage down in the process.

If you are in the SF Bay Area of Ca. I could stop on by and address the carb issues (if there are any). As for why it's not startn' that could be "somethin else."

The weather is smoothing out here and helping the bretherin is always good for the soul.

Tonerjockey

It really would be incredible to have somebody who's done this before looking at it with me, but I've no luck there. I'm in central Texas.

There are a few bike mechanics in my town but only one that will work on Moto Guzzi and I have no interest in dealing with him. I could write an endless string of four letter words describing his personality and attitude but I'll save you guys the fury. I'd rather do it myself, anyway.

C'mon Joe, harden up. :woohoo:

Shut off the fuel taps. Go get a 14mm spanner and remove the retaining bolt from the bottom of the bowl. Have a container underneath to catch the fuel. You may need to loosen the hose clamps on the manifolds just a bit so you can pivot the carby to make it easier.

Now jiggle the bowl just a bit and pull it off. All the jets and the float are now for you to see.

How is your choke activated? If by cable then make sure there is a mm or two slack so that you know the starter jet is closed when it is off.

I've given you a link to the dellorto manuals above, your bike manual has an exploded view and if you only pull one apart you have a twin to copy on the other side of the bike. It doesn't get any easier for a first time than that.

Have a container and put all the bits in there, in order so it is easy to remember. Take lots of digital photos if you want for reference now go out to the shed and sort it out. :p

Back