Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Need some help for a 1980 V50II

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Mark Emig Blacksmith, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Mark Emig Blacksmith

Mark Emig Blacksmith Just got it firing!

Hello all,
    I am starting to bring my Fathers 1980 V50II back to life. It was sitting in his garage for about 20 (yes 20) years. Carbs were completely gummed up. Cleaned/freed up carbs. Ran a compression test, 138 right side, 132 left. Went to start with a new battery, turned over well at first. Now the relay right in front of the battery clicks, and the starter doesn't turn. I can see the relay work, and there is a green light inside it also, but no noise from the starter. Can anyone give me some ideas? I am handy with a wrench, but not a diagnostician....
    Thank you.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Are you getting 12 volts to the wire at the spade terminal on the solenoid when you press the start button?

3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Don't recall any green lights.
    But the Startus Interruptus wiring mod applies to the V50 the same as the new models. But first check as John suggests. Then pull the wire off that spade terminal on the solenoid and bridge from the top main terminal to that spade with a metal bar or screwdriver which should get the starter whirring. If it doesn't you have a faulty solenoid probably.

4. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Also if the V50 sat outside for long water collects in the bottom of the starter, the iron rotor rusts and collects on the bottom of the starter. It will start when cold but once the engine heats up the starter locks up. The fix is a new starter.

Don't ask me how I know.

Mark Emig Blacksmith likes this.
  5. Mark Emig Blacksmith

Mark Emig Blacksmith Just got it firing!

I will check that. Thank you for the help.